Audition Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Relentlessrook18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having some trouble setting mine up through VSAS. Are they very helpful when deciding on where you want to do your residency? Or are you better off just doing the interviews at places without an audition rotation?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, I was told audition rotations were not necessary to match by several PDs. However, they are helpful in terms of getting to know them and hopefully, matching at a program of your choice. It's just impossible to get to know them well in one short day of interview.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Side perks of FM aways:
1. many aren't in VSAS so you have to work through the dept secty...who will deal w/your residency app too...key relationship
2. lots of time to talk to FM interns who just @#$(*&^ went through what you're about to go through
3. lots of time to talk to other M4s who know more than you do about various programs
4. lots of time to talk to FM PGY2/3s and fellows who are figuring out loan repayment & other things that actually matter
5. networking long term with all of the above
6. exposure to a 2nd FM program (your home institution being the 1st) so you basically double your understanding
7. exposure to who knows what random attending that might be the one mentor that you really really need

All that said, you can probably only do one or two aways, and it's mid-June. If you're targeting the west coast you're likely SOL. If you want it, just get on it and make it happen.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ps in general you'll never get out of an interview day anywhere near what you'll get out of a rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
Completely agree with doing an audition rotation at your top 3 choices, at least --- let's you find out where the bodies are buried and who they're hiding -- talk to the interns/residents who were NOT at the interviews -- those are the ones who are disgruntled and/or being screwed and will have the inside skinny on the dark side of the residency (if there is one) -- there were about 3 of us in my class who were never asked to participate in interviews -- they knew what we would be up to ---

Reactions: 2 users