August rotation: research month vs away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in August I have two options.

I could do a research month with a guy who publishes a good amount and definitely get one paper submitted in that time if not more.

Or I could do an away rotation and potentially get another derm letter.

In September, it would be too late to get any more letters and I probably would have ERAS submitted and I wouldn't be able to add any pubs from doing research.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

So in August I have two options.

I could do a research month with a guy who publishes a good amount and definitely get one paper submitted in that time if not more.

Or I could do an away rotation and potentially get another derm letter.

In September, it would be too late to get any more letters and I probably would have ERAS submitted and I wouldn't be able to add any pubs from doing research.

Thanks for the advice!

It depends on how your application profile is set up.

Are you an outstanding applicant on paper? Already have a couple of letters from dermatologists lined up? Looking to add some interesting research you can talk about on the interview trail? The research month might be a nice way to go

Do you have some deficiencies on paper? Are you interested in cracking into a top region of the country? Do you need 3 letters from dermatologists? The away might be the way to go and reserve the research month for later in the year. You may not be able to get the publication listed on ERAS but you can still talk about it during interviews (when prompted)

Reactions: 1 users