Australasian fellow looking at US fellowship - few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjkpark

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heya

I'm an AP trainee ("resident") in New Zealand wondering about fellowship in the United States.
My interest is cytopathology and will probably try to do another 1-year fellowship in one of the surg path subspecialties if circumstances allow. I plan to come back to this part of the world.
My boss apparently knows some big cheese in cytopathology over there so will try to get him to make some contacts for me.

I have a few questions:
1. I'll finish my training in August 2017 (provided that I pass all my exams on my first go, our training is 5 years long) and the earliest time I could realistically start would be June 2018. When should I start to make contacts?
2. What is the lifestyle for cytopathology fellows like? I hope to have children by then and wonder whether it would be possible to spend any time with my family during fellowship.
3. Anything that the programmes look for? I did very well in my USMLE (Step 1 240+, Step 2CK 260+, Step 3 around 220+? can't remember) and have some publications in good journals but in another specialty before I started path. None in path unfortunately, I was too busy studying path!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you take the USMLE's if you're not doing residency in the US?

It is a requirement of most fellowship programs in the US to have completed an ACGME accredited residency i.e. US/Canada. In the past, there have been a few fellows who came from different countries and do a one (or more) year fellowship in other specialties e.g. surgical subspecialties at select programs; but, I believe that has become increasingly rare. Again, I stress most fellowship programs require this. I don't know if your boss has some strings he could pull to get you in somehow...

The lifestyle is better than that of a resident. At my former program, cyto fellows did not take call. After 5 pm it rolled over to the surg path fellows (much to their dismay). It will [should] be a busy service doing stat adequacies, FNA's, 7AM conferences, and such. But, you should have enough time for your family. That's why some people go into path in the first place, so it'd be even more lifestyle friendly as a fellow.

Your scores are good enough. If you tried to apply for July '18 (that's when fellowships start here), I would recommend starting that process about 1-1.5 yrs in advance. It's certainly possible to get something later; but, that way if you were able to get in somehow, you could lock it up before some programs get filled. Again, I think if you really want to go this route, the kicker is completing residency in the US. That is the requirement for almost all fellowships in any specialty. But do your homework and reach out to your contacts because I don't know if other routes are still possible...

Last edited:
But you have Middle Earth in NZ, why would you ever leave??

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did you take the USMLE's if you're not doing residency in the US?

It is a requirement of most fellowship programs in the US to have completed an ACGME accredited residency i.e. US/Canada. In the past, there have been a few fellows who did come from different countries and do a one (or more) year fellowship in other specialties e.g. surgical subspecialties at some academic programs; but, I believe that has become increasingly rare. Again I stress most fellowship programs require this. I don't know if your boss has some strings he could pull to get you in somehow...

Thanks for that. At the time of taking USMLE I was looking at doing another specialty where doing overseas fellowships is considered mandatory. I have some surgical friends who are in the US doing fellowships now having trained in New Zealand. It's little harder to get information in path as people generally don't do fellowships, and those who do usually go to Australia/UK/Canada as they generally accept FRCPA (Australasian "board") without additional exams.

Ah well will talk to the boss when he comes back from his prolonged holiday in Europe. If things don't pan out, I'll just get a real job like everybody else.

But you have Middle Earth in NZ, why would you ever leave??

I know, I'm coming back though. I want the experience and adventure of living overseas, but don't want to stay there.

US Pathology fellowships typically run from July 1st to June 30th of the following year. For competitive pathology fellowships US residents (registrars) typically apply 18 months-2 years ahead. Your situation is unusual though. If I were you I would start contacting programs in the US now and gathering information.