Australian Dental School Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmiller696

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergraduate neuroscience major and physics minor at a 4 year American university on a pre-dental track. I am extremely interested in applying to Australian dental schools and actually emigrating to Australia after undergrad. The process is still a bit confusing to me.

I know that they have a different system that offers bachelors and also doctorate degrees, so would I be applying for the regular dental school there? Do I take the DAT or the Australian test? It is ways away, but I am just curious about the process now. I plan on doing a semester abroad in Oz, or a summer session there at least. I just would like some feedback from any Americans who have emigrated to Australia and are practicing dentists there, or who have applied to Australian dental school. Keep in mind, I am not talking about going to dental school in Australia and then coming back to practice in the US, I am talking about becoming a permanent resident in Australia.

Also, if you know about details about the same process, just with medical school rather than dental school, please explain that to me also. I'm curious about the differences between the two, and while much more focused on dentistry, if the MD process is easier and more realistic, I would go that way. Australia is the dream.

Members don't see this ad.