Australian MD/MBBS degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

AFAIK, if you get an MBBS from the UK, you can do internship or practice in other EU countries and Australia without having to take further exams (correct me if i'm wrong).

How about the Australian MD or MBBS degree? How well-accepted is it outside of Australia and New Zealand - esp. the EU and Canada?

Members don't see this ad.

Australian medical schools (both MBBS and MD) are recognized in Canada. To start and finish residency, all (domestic and international) students write the MCCQE1 and 2, respectively I believe. To apply for residency, domestic students just submit their application. For IMGs, they have to pass the MCCEE, which has a written and OSCE portion, before they can apply.

Australian medical schools (both MBBS and MD) are recognized in Canada. To start and finish residency, all (domestic and international) students write the MCCQE1 and 2, respectively I believe. To apply for residency, domestic students just submit their application. For IMGs, they have to pass the MCCEE, which has a written and OSCE portion, before they can apply.
Interesting, thanks @DendyPretendy. What about Australian attendings (consultants)? For example, if I'm an emergency medicine attending (consultant) in Australia, and I want to move to Canada (as an IMG), would I be able to bypass Canadian residency in emergency medicine? Or would I have to still do residency all over again (like in the US)? Or is there an in-between option (like there would be for a Canadian EM physician wanting to qualify with the Australasian College of Emergency Medicine)?

I'm not intending to move to Canada or anything, but just wondering out of curiosity how much different Commonwealth nations recognise one another's training, etc. Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
AFAIK, if you get an MBBS from the UK, you can do internship or practice in other EU countries and Australia without having to take further exams (correct me if i'm wrong).

How about the Australian MD or MBBS degree? How well-accepted is it outside of Australia and New Zealand - esp. the EU and Canada?

First thing first, you must be a Canadian citizen or PR. Otherwise you can't enter the match via CaRMS. Source: http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/eligibility-criteria/first-iteration/
If you are a Canadian studying in Australia, your chances of matching is ~60% based on CaRMS data, which is actually pretty good compared to Carib schools etc. Irish schools match ~70% as well. That's why these two are always the go-to options for Canadians.
If you do your residency in Australia as a GP, the process to come back to Canada as a FM isn't too complicated. There's a reciprocity agreement for GP/FM. Do you also have to be a Canadian citizen/PR for this? I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
First thing first, you must be a Canadian citizen or PR. Otherwise you can't enter the match via CaRMS. Source: http://www.carms.ca/en/residency/r-1/eligibility-criteria/first-iteration/
If you are a Canadian studying in Australia, your chances of matching is ~60% based on CaRMS data, which is actually pretty good compared to Carib schools etc. Irish schools match ~70% as well. That's why these two are always the go-to options for Canadians.
If you do your residency in Australia as a GP, the process to come back to Canada as a FM isn't too complicated. There's a reciprocity agreement for GP/FM. Do you also have to be a Canadian citizen/PR for this? I don't know.

Thanks for this correction! That was a vital point that slipped my mind because I'm a Canadian already