Australian National University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fuyulee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see any discussion about ANU specifically so I started this to get some discussion going. Anyone applying to this? I was accepted to UQ already and just got an interview offer from ANU.

What do people think/know about this program? I can't find much about it online.

Members don't see this ad.

Its pretty new but one thing to note its degree is pretty hilarious. MChD.

ANU has the policy to prioritise its students ( both international and local) 1st in intern selection. It means that you are in priority 1 when it comes to intern selection, while international students are often put in priority 2, 3 or even lower in other states. Although this police and priority system may change by the time you graduate, your chance of having an intern in Australia is pretty high at the moment if you go to ANU.
if you are not planning to stay in Australia after med, go to UQ as it has more connection to US and Canada hospitals .

Members don't see this ad :)
But you are not allowed to apply to any other state if you want to remain in priority 1 as I have said above

ANU is consistently ranked among the top two all-around unis in Australia, in no small part because of its research (being in Australia's capitol surely helps). Their med school is fairly new though, first class commenced c. 2005. Canberra was also recently ranked #1 among int'l cities by some int'l group for 'liveability' -- things like 'health status', 'education', 'cost of living', etc. It's also known as the bicycling city. However most people I know consider it a rather boring and ugly city.

ACT makes int'ls P1 (if they don't apply out-of-state, as monsterink says) because ANU most wants to keep their int'l student market, and because ANU is the only med school in ACT (and thus can more easily reflect its interest in ACT's Ballot).

Last edited:
Also ANU only takes in around 20 international students , not around 200 like UQ sso it's easier for ANU to find internship for their students

They can offer them all a spot since they've placed int'ls above all out-of-staters. They also have only 20 since they have fewer than 100 spots in ACT to Qld's ~700. But yes, it is true that if Qld put their int'ls into P1, it could not place all of its grads, assuming all wanted to stay, which has never been the case. This year, assuming all goes well with AMSA's new tracking initiative, may become the first year when we eventually know what happens to all of Australia's int'l student grads.