Autologous vs. Allogenic BMT for ABIM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adagio

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Heme/Onc gurus,
I am studying for the ABIM, and I wonder if you could give me what I need to know about Allo vs. auto HSCT for boards purposes.

From medstudy i found that: we use allo bmt for people who can tolerate it (younger, in good health). Autologous is used in CLL, NHL, HL, MM, Breast/Testicular cancer.

I wonder if i got it right, or if I need to know anything beyond that.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Allo for leukemia, auto first for everything else. Except breast cancer. You might want to get a version of MedStudy from the 21st century if they actually include that as an indication for auto transplant in the version you have.

Honestly, if you're really unlucky, you'll have one transplant related question on your exam. Don't sweat this. Learn cards, renal and pulm instead.

Reactions: 1 user
lol I have medstudy 15 (2013-2014) and they include prostate/breast for some reason!

ALLo for Leukemia, Autolog for everything else! perfect!

Members don't see this ad :)
ABIM is very very unlikely to ask a question where you have to decide between allo and auto ... most practicing internists wouldn't know the answer to this