AVC C/O 2018 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Book your flights ASAP...costs go up quickly. I'm pretty far out of town (~20mins) so I'm less than ideal but I ca post on our fb page to see if someone would take a couch surfer if you'd like :)

Members don't see this ad.

Book your flights ASAP...costs go up quickly. I'm pretty far out of town (~20mins) so I'm less than ideal but I ca post on our fb page to see if someone would take a couch surfer if you'd like :)
Yes, please! That would be great! and thanks for the tip… I'm mainly waiting til my next paycheck before booking flights.

If you're able to rent a car, it's sometimes cheaper to fly to Moncton and then drive to Charlottetown (about two hours). That's what I ended up doing for my interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're able to rent a car, it's sometimes cheaper to fly to Moncton and then drive to Charlottetown (about two hours). That's what I ended up doing for my interview.

You could look at Halifax as well, although it is a bit further. Also, keep in mind there is a bridge toll when leaving the island and that's about $50 so you'll want to find a bigger difference in flights than that and the car rental to make it worth your while.

I don't suppose any of you current students would be interested in having a couch surfer for the couple days that I'm up there to interview? Prices to get up there are pretty outrageous… haha… I am super excited to be interviewing though! Not looking forward to being turned into a frostbitten popsicle though…
:-/

I can open my door to a couch surfer (assuming you are female). I am close to school and my couch is pretty comfy.

When is your interview. Send me a PM if you are interested.

You could look at Halifax as well, although it is a bit further. Also, keep in mind there is a bridge toll when leaving the island and that's about $50 so you'll want to find a bigger difference in flights than that and the car rental to make it worth your while.

And gas. Gas is more expensive in Canada, especially in places like New Brunswick and PEI. It's currently the equivalent of about $4.75USD/gallon, and it's about 320km/198miles round trip from Moncton to Charlottetown. Plus, consider that you may get hung up with road conditions. Note: I'm not saying don't fly to Moncton, just that it might involve some number crunching to see if it's worth it. I don't know if I'd reccommend flying to Halifax unless you're pretty confident with winter driving conditions. Halifax to Charlottetown is about 4 hours one way and takes you through the Cobequid Pass which is known to have pretty brutal winter conditions at times. It can be clear sailing for the whole drive except for that stretch and you hit blizzard conditions.

Hahaha! This is all starting to get really complicated! Sheesh! My happy little Florida butt has never driven in snow/icey conditions… This could be rough going.

I guess before I start trying to book anything, I do have another question. My interview is on February 11, my scheduled day for a make-up is the 12… How likely is it that I will need the make-up day?

I can open my door to a couch surfer (assuming you are female). I am close to school and my couch is pretty comfy.

When is your interview. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I will be sending you a PM momentarily

Hahaha! This is all starting to get really complicated! Sheesh! My happy little Florida butt has never driven in snow/icey conditions… This could be rough going.

Definitely do not plan on driving then. The Trans-Canada highway (which is how you get from Moncton to Charlottetown) does not get plowed or sanded until after it stops snowing, and it can get very very slippery. My mom and I are both New England natives and very experienced at winter driving, but it our compact little rental car we definitely struggled doing that drive in the snow. There's also absolutely NOTHING between Moncton and Charlottetown, so you won't have anywhere to bail out to if you get into trouble. I wouldn't recommend it at all if you've never driven in snow before.

I guess before I start trying to book anything, I do have another question. My interview is on February 11, my scheduled day for a make-up is the 12… How likely is it that I will need the make-up day?

Hard to say, as it's too early to predict if it will snow or not. I'd say unlikely, but you never know. If we get a decent enough storm it's possible that you'll be pushed to the make up day, but there's really no way to know for sure this far ahead.

Reactions: 1 users

I booked my return flight for late afternoon/early evening the day after my interview, just in case my scheduled day was cancelled due to weather - I figured it would give me enough time to attend the makeup day should the need arise. Hopefully won't need it though and I can spend the day wandering around downtown!

For all of you back at AVC for the spring semester... how's the weather been so far? I fly up in a week and am so paranoid about the weather messing up my flights! Well, my flight up there, I'm less concerned if my flight back gets delayed. I keep spamming the CBC's weather updates to see their forecast for the week...
I'll shoot some PMs soon to those who mentioned they might be up for meeting up (/^_^)/

I booked my return flight for late afternoon/early evening the day after my interview, just in case my scheduled day was cancelled due to weather - I figured it would give me enough time to attend the makeup day should the need arise. Hopefully won't need it though and I can spend the day wandering around downtown!

For all of you back at AVC for the spring semester... how's the weather been so far? I fly up in a week and am so paranoid about the weather messing up my flights! Well, my flight up there, I'm less concerned if my flight back gets delayed. I keep spamming the CBC's weather updates to see their forecast for the week...
I'll shoot some PMs soon to those who mentioned they might be up for meeting up (/^_^)/

It's kind of been all over the place for the past few days. It's been raining most of the day today..late last week there was a blizzard and then over the weekend there were really terrible wind chills. So far nothing crazy predicted in the next week so hopefully you'll be fine. There is A LOT more snow right now than there was when I was here for my interview last year.

Well, the snow on my deck is waist deep. So I'm guessing we got a lot while I was gone, haha. Right now it's a balmy 42F here but super windy outside. Supposed to be clear through the rest of the week though.

Woke up this morning to an interview invite! So excited :D Hope to see some of you on February 5th!

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone know where we mail fall transcripts to? VMCAS or the college itself?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be giving the tour for anyone interviewing on January 22nd! :)

I'll be a tour guide for January 24th interviews. Anyone interviewing then?

Ill be thre tomorrow! Wifi where i am is kind of spotty but if anyone wants to say hi shoot me a pm (or stalk the interviewees for tomorrow, hah! Its prob a safe bet im the only male tomorrow hehe, though we'll see). Will be checking the forums in the am at breakfast i expect (dont get wifi in my hotel room but do in the restaurant). Excited! Ive no idea when my interview is/if ill be first or last or what. Glad the weather has held up, though, even if it is a bit wet!

Ill be thre tomorrow! Wifi where i am is kind of spotty but if anyone wants to say hi shoot me a pm (or stalk the interviewers for tomorrow, hah! Its prob a safe bet im the only male tomorrow hehe, though we'll see). Excited! Ive no idea when my interview is/if ill be first or last or what. Glad the weather has held up, though, even if it is a bit wet!

I saw the interviewing students on their tour today. I was kind of tempted to warn them that no, this is not what January in PEI is normally like, just in case they were thinking, "Oh, well this isn't so bad."

I saw the interviewing students on their tour today. I was kind of tempted to warn them that no, this is not what January in PEI is normally like, just in case they were thinking, "Oh, well this isn't so bad."
My impression flying in today via montreal was 'well, this is very... gray' hah, mix of white and gray in the snow then all the clouds and fog. Im glad my flight wasnt delayed though so im content with it today, norm or not hehe. Say hi if you see us tomorrow!

I thought they only wanted international tour guides for the time being?

You are correct. However, they kept sending us notices that thy needed tour guides. I emailed Karen to let her know I was available if they found themselves short of international tour guides and voila!

You are correct. However, they kept sending us notices that thy needed tour guides. I emailed Karen to let her know I was available if they found themselves short of international tour guides and voila!
Wish I'd have known! I have Thursdays free and I don't know if I'll have time to do regional tours with clinics going on.

Email Karen. I'm under the impression they are still short of tour guides.

She told me the schedule was made for January but they will still need people for Feb.

I would totally be a tour guide, except I spent so little time in the VTH last semester that I actually have no idea how to get from the waiting room to the cafeteria without leaving the building. :laugh:

I would totally be a tour guide, except I spent so little time in the VTH last semester that I actually have no idea how to get from the waiting room to the cafeteria without leaving the building. :laugh:

Honestly, I haven't quite figured that out either :p

derwent, how did your interview go?

Honestly, I haven't quite figured that out either :p

derwent, how did your interview go?
I think it went well! Thanks for asking :) everyone was really nice. The interview felt pretty relaxed and friendly. A student passed by and saw me waiting my turn and said that the interviewers that day were all really nice, which happily was very true! Everyone that saw us wished us luck. I wonder if I saw any of you? We passed a lot of students.
I loved seeing all the teaching animals - really wanted to pet a cow but I dont think that was allowed haha. I loved meeting the beagles! They are so cute. I could see myself adopting one ^_^
Now the waiting game begins!
How easy it getting around charlottetown? I was thinking id wander around downtown in the morning. Are there cabs usually driving about or would i have to call one? Are there busses from town to the airport?

I think it went well! Thanks for asking :) everyone was really nice. The interview felt pretty relaxed and friendly. A student passed by and saw me waiting my turn and said that the interviewers that day were all really nice, which happily was very true! Everyone that saw us wished us luck. I wonder if I saw any of you? We passed a lot of students.
I loved seeing all the teaching animals - really wanted to pet a cow but I dont think that was allowed haha. I loved meeting the beagles! They are so cute. I could see myself adopting one ^_^
Now the waiting game begins!
How easy it getting around charlottetown? I was thinking id wander around downtown in the morning. Are there cabs usually driving about or would i have to call one? Are there busses from town to the airport?

Glad to hear it! :)

There is a bus system, but apparently the schedule and routes are pretty limited. I rarely see a bus come to think of it. Cabs are pretty reasonable, but you'll need to call one. Once you actually get "downtown" you can pretty much walk anywhere you'd like to go.

This Miami girl just got into Charlottetown and HOLY S*** it is COLD! I absolutely love this place though, just don't know if I can handle this weather for too long :/ however, the cab driver told me this was a little unusual. Anyhow, my interview is tomorrow and I'm really excited! :)

This Miami girl just got into Charlottetown and HOLY S*** it is COLD! I absolutely love this place though, just don't know if I can handle this weather for too long :/ however, the cab driver told me this was a little unusual. Anyhow, my interview is tomorrow and I'm really excited! :)

How the HECK did you just get here when it's blizzarding outside?! And I don't consider it to be too unusual, unfortuantely :( Hope school's open for your interview tomorrow - good luck! :)

How the HECK did you just get here when it's blizzarding outside?! And I don't consider it to be too unusual, unfortuantely :(

I'm convinced Islanders have to tell themselves that every winter is "unusual". It's one big communal lie. Otherwise I don't think anyone would live here (how much longer until graduation...?)

If you get accepted and choose AVC though, I will reassure you by saying that we do have Floridians that have made it through almost 3 PEI winters now and they aren't dead, so it can be done.

Reactions: 3 users

Good luck! The snow is supposed to taper off tonight so I'm pretty sure school will be open tomorrow - not that I will be complaining if it isn't. :)

Good luck! The snow is supposed to taper off tonight so I'm pretty sure school will be open tomorrow - not that I will be complaining if it isn't. :)

I heard 6-10" overnight.. :eek:

I'm convinced Islanders have to tell themselves that every winter is "unusual". It's one big communal lie. Otherwise I don't think anyone would live here (how much longer until graduation...?)

I dunno what day we graduate, but 104 days until clinics!

I heard 6-10" overnight.. :eek:

Supposed to taper off in the morning though, so we might end up with just a delay. Still, I'm keeping all possible body parts crossed for another snow day tomorrow. Anything to miss that awful 3 hour anatomy lab!

Hi !
I am also an international applicant this year , and I haven't heard from school since I had a trouble with my GRE score, and gladly it's fixed.
I started to think that I might now have a chance this year but I was wondering if you guys think it is ok to email AVC if they are still inviting international students for interview? I don't want to rush it or anything so I am wondering if it is normal to ask this :)
Thanks !

Hi !
I am also an international applicant this year , and I haven't heard from school since I had a trouble with my GRE score, and gladly it's fixed.
I started to think that I might now have a chance this year but I was wondering if you guys think it is ok to email AVC if they are still inviting international students for interview? I don't want to rush it or anything so I am wondering if it is normal to ask this :)
Thanks !

The initial batch of interview invites was sent out. They interview through January and then send out additional invites later as needed. I didn't get my interview invite until February.

This explains so much. Including why some native islanders continue to wear shorts despite the freezing temperatures.

so not to brag or anything butttttt....I totally rocked my interview:banana: I absolutely fell in love with the school, and everyone seemed really awesome!

Reactions: 4 users
Would have been really terrifying for any poor interviewee who was not an SDNer. :laugh:

Honestly, thank God for this website. You guys have been really helpful!

Congrats! I walked by the room and saw someone in there and wanted to be like "SDN!!?" but I refrained :D
I was tempted to do the same thing at lunch. :)
You might've seen me. I've got long brown hair and was wearing a black suit:)

Absolutely loved your school. And Dr. Singh was awesome too! ")

You might've seen me. I've got long brown hair and was wearing a black suit.

I was sitting at the next table from you guys. We were trying to guess which one of you was the Floridian :shifty:

I was sitting at the next table from you guys. We were trying to guess which one of you was the Floridian :shifty:

Not creepy at all.

(I totally thought it was the redhead.)

Granted, I never actually saw any of the others. :laugh: I was working so I wasn't in the cafeteria at lunch time, but the redhead girl was walking by as I was leaving Physiology and I was like "Yeah, you could be from Florida."

Did we just scare away all future applicants? I think we did.