AVC C/O 2018 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! Anyone know how many they are interviewing?
About double what they accept. Which province did you apply from?

Members don't see this ad.

Nova Scotia. An earlier post indicated they were only taking 13 this year.
So they'd interview about 26 if that's the case. Good luck! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm graduating from AVC, and wanted to share the facebook group we have for buying and selling things amongst students and staff. Search AVC Book Exchange. My roommate and I have a lot of things we moved up here and purchased along the way and they are all looking for new homes with 2018'ers :) Email me at [email protected] if you're in need of furniture, housing, advice, etc. Good luck to those of you waiting to hear back!

Anybody watch Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet on NatGeoWild last night? She was an AVC graduate and I am incredibly jealous of her job, haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody watch Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet on NatGeoWild last night? She was an AVC graduate and I am incredibly jealous of her job, haha.

No way! I would love to watch that, I'll have to see if I can find it online somewhere. Though I imagine she must have graduated in the days when AVC actually had a wildlife program.

No way! I would love to watch that, I'll have to see if I can find it online somewhere. Though I imagine she must have graduated in the days when AVC actually had a wildlife program.

If you do let me know!

My letter FINALLY came today! Interview on May 16th!! eeeeekkkkkkkkk!

Reactions: 2 users
Got my letter too! I got an interview!! May 30th! :cat:
If anyone has any advice or tips on what to expect, please, do tell!

Got my letter too! I got an interview!! May 30th! :cat:
If anyone has any advice or tips on what to expect, please, do tell!
Congratulations! What province did you apply from? There is some great interview feedback on this site if you search AVC :)

I highly recommend searching the interview feedback on this website. There were maybe one or two questions I was asked that wasn't on this site and since I used the interview feedback page to prepare, I felt really well prepared :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Nova Scotia applicant! And thanks Jewels1987 and that redhead, I'll do that!

Just wondering if any internationals accepted this year can confirm that it is still a behavioural type interview?? Thanks!

I'm hopelessly waitlisted, but the interviews were indeed behavioural. The Interview Feedback section here on SDN is priceless.

Not hopelessly at all! We'll be saying "I told you so" in a month or two :shifty:
haha I meant it more in the dramatic sense! And I hope you're right! But I hope I hear earlier than that cause this girl needs to know before June! (I only have my job until the end of June. Bleh.)

haha I meant it more in the dramatic sense! And I hope you're right! But I hope I hear earlier than that cause this girl needs to know before June! (I only have my job until the end of June. Bleh.)

The International wait list tends to move pretty quickly. Many people will have been accepted in the States and will decline their offers. From what I hear, much of the wait list gets accepted eventually.

The International wait list tends to move pretty quickly. Many people will have been accepted in the States and will decline their offers. From what I hear, much of the wait list gets accepted eventually.
That's what I'm really hoping for! I just wish that AVC told you your rank #, but it is what it is... :cat:

Have any waitlisted internationals gotten any news??? The two other waitlisted applicants that I stay in contact have not, but maybe someone has?

Anyone? Anyone? :in my best Ben Stein voice:

Have any waitlisted internationals gotten any news??? The two other waitlisted applicants that I stay in contact have not, but maybe someone has?

Stop giving me a heart attack! (My fingers are seriously crossed for you :))

Obviously, I'm one of those two people, haha. Seriously hoping for this week. I'm hoping they called the first couple people on the list on the 25th like they did last year and gave them a week to reply...which means that this week should be our week! (I know I have no way of knowing where any of us are on the waitlist but gotta give myself hope somehow!)

Well, it looks like all of the international seats for the Class of 2018 are confirmed and filled as of right now. I am heartbroken as AVC was my last hope :drowning:

I highly doubt that I will be applying this coming cycle as I have to now focus my attention on finding a new job and a place to live.

Unless I am miraculously offered a seat in the next few months (which I would happily accept)... Best of luck to the Class of 2018! Savor and appreciate your seat in that class!

You guys have been super supportive and nice. Thank you so much for your help and endless finger crossing :love:

Well, it looks like all of the international seats for the Class of 2018 are confirmed and filled as of right now. I am heartbroken as AVC was my last hope :drowning:

I highly doubt that I will be applying this coming cycle as I have to now focus my attention on finding a new job and a place to live.

Unless I am miraculously offered a seat in the next few months (which I would happily accept)... Best of luck to the Class of 2018! Savor and appreciate your seat in that class!

You guys have been super supportive and nice. Thank you so much for your help and endless finger crossing :love:

A lot can happen between now and August, I still have my fingers crossed for you Chitty. <3

I did my interview yesterday ! If anyone wants some advice please drop me an email ! [email protected]

I was SUPER nervous going into it, but thankfully had the best interviewers who made me feel completely at ease! AVC is the best ! Now the long wait once more !

If they are still interviewing as of yesterday, I would assume the class is not yet full... Otherwise, what the heck are they interviewing for?

@ChittyBang I'm on the international waitlist too...but no word yet. Just constantly checking my email and mailbox hoping for a miracle :xf:

Thanks, guys :) I started the application process for grad school and, unless I get offered that miracle seat, I'm very happy with where I'm currently headed. From the beginning I told my family that if I didn't get in this past cycle that I would chalk it up to "dodging the obscene debt bullet" and move on. I'll still stick around until August..just in case :wink:

perhaps slightly offtopic for this thread, but have any of you on the international waitlist looked at OVC? i had emailed them last summer enquiring about application for the 2013-14 cycle, and the person i spoke with said they actually had spots available for Fall '13 and encouraged me to app outside of the vmcas cycle... i was missing a prereq they needed so i wasn't able to, but it's possible they'd have international spots still available for this fall semester too. worth checking out if not looked at before. I had emailed around beginning of June (in prep originally for the vmcas cycle) when they encouraged me to app, so might be worth a look, whether at OVC or elsewhere.
whichever way, good luck!! fingers crossed for you all :)

I'm always a little surprised that OVC seems to consistently not fill it's international seats while AVC turns students away, despite the two having comparable tuition (as far as I can tell).

I, personally, did not apply to them due to BSL (Ontario does not allow certain breeds of dogs). My pit bull goes where I go and that's that.

I had a classmate in undergrad who got in to OVC that way...she submitted her VMCA app sometime in June and they accepted her for that August. I know her and several others in Guelph that have pitty-ish dogs and they have them listed as something like lab/boxer mixes.

I, personally, did not apply to them due to BSL (Ontario does not allow certain breeds of dogs). My pit bull goes where I go and that's that.
ah, that's too bad :< i hate BSL, though that's a whole other discussion heh.
have you looked at their specific law? i read an article recently that was talking about differences in british and american identification of pit bulls (basically, the british shelter workers/etc identified far fewer dogs as pits from the selection of sample photographs than their US counterparts) - perhaps your dog might not fall into ontario's specific BSL definition of a pittie? or, as toolove said, maybe can get away with the lab/boxer/etc mix label?

I thought about it (even doing so in the UK if necessary - flying into France...), but she is so stereotypically bully that its a risk that I'm not willing to take. She is like a slightly larger Staffordshire Bull Terrier, brindle, and has a big block head. I've been jokingly told not to even try it lol But its ok. I chose my schools purposefully regardless.
Honestly, I've had time to contemplate and discuss the debt/salary issue and am actually relieved, in a bittersweet way, that I won't be taking on the debt. As much as I love vet med, I can't justify it right now. And what I really loved about AVC, was that I would be able to practice in several countries after graduation, eliminating much of the US market issues. That would have made the debt bearable.

Last edited:
Do any vet students stay at the university residence halls? My parents want me to try to dorm my first year just so I can get a feel for the area before I live off campus.

Last edited:
Do any vet students stay at the university residence halls? My parents want me to try to dorm my first year just so I can get a feel for the area before I live off campus.

There were a couple people in our class who did, but I don't know much about how their experience was. I think they will both be living off campus this coming year though. Also the school housing does not allow pets, if you were considering bringing or getting any. I do know some people came up for a week or so during the summer to get a feel for the area and look at housing, so if that's feasible it might be something to think about as well.

Not sure where you're coming from, but it isn't like most college towns where you need to worry about crime and such (although I say this coming from the DC metro area, so my radar may be a bit skewed). I personally would opt to live off campus if only because you don't want to have to deal with undergrads cramping your studying style being rowdy and stuff.

I believe the people in our class who lived in the dorms didn't particularly like their roommates, but that's a pretty individual situation. I know at least one of them lived in the apartment-style housing and she said the apartment itself was pretty decent. I personally wouldn't want to do it, but if you're okay with dorm life and undergrad roommates it sounds like a decent option.

As TR already said, there's really no good or bad areas. I've wandered lost through downtown Charlottetown alone at 2 AM and the only encounters I had were people asking me if I needed help. So it really comes down to personal preference - do you want to be in the "city" or the country, do you want roommates, etc. I tend to encourage people to avoid taking apartments that they haven't personally seen since I got a bit screwed last year, but in the Charlottetown area month-to-month rentals with no lease required are pretty common, so even if you don't like the place when you arrive it's usually easy enough to give your notice and leave. I can also vouch for a few places that I have personally seen that will be available in the fall, so if you're interested in any info feel free to shoot me a PM.

Are you on the AVC Class of 2018 facebook page yet? There's a lot of housing info on there too, and the people who lived in the dorms this past year are on it, so they should be available to answer whatever questions you have about campus housing.

What's the dress code for the teaching hospital? I'm not sure when the movers will arrive with my stuff so I have to pack with the assumption that I may start the internship before my stuff gets there...

So I've been creeping this thread for quite a while . I recently got admitted off the waitlist last week and have been frantically trying to get everything together for my move. I interviewed with ChittyBang and am still hoping she'll get an email soon! I have some questions that I was hoping you guys could answer!
I am bringing my car with me and I know I don't need to get a canadian license or plates but do I need to get Canadian Car insurance or do people use american insurance? I have also been looking at 1 bdrms to live close to campus and stumbled upon Mayflower Apts and was wondering if people had heard good things about it? Also in terms cell phones. I was looking at Eastlink because they seem to have a good bundle deal with internet and mobile but I was wondering how the service was in PEI. I did my undergrad in Montreal and have heard of Bell,Telus and Rogers but never Eastlink.
And one last question. I have a wedding to go to on Aug 30th which is basically the first weekend after classes start and was wondering how manageable it would be to leave since we have that coming Monday off for labor day.
Thanks ahead of time for all the sdn help!

You don't need Canadian plates/registration/insurance unless you're planning on becoming a resident of PEI (which you can't do while you're in school anyway). You just keep your American stuff - same as if you were going to school out of state.

Never heard of the Mayflower apartments so I can't give much advice there. You might try asking on the AVC Book Exchange facebook page or your class page to see if anyone has heard of them. The only place I've heard new students cautioned against living in is Brown's Court.

I can't comment much about cell phone plans in Canada because I don't use them, but I haven't heard good things about most of the companies. I'm sure someone else here will have more info. I use Verizon at home and just added Canada onto my plan. It was a little more expensive but I can call/text anyone in either country without extra charges and I don't have the hassle of dealing with two separate phones.

I think it's feasible to leave on Labor Day weekend since you won't have gotten very far in classes yet at that point, so you likely won't need to catch up on studying during that time. I would recommend not missing any classes if you can avoid it though. You'll still be getting into the swing of things and learning what to do, so you wouldn't want to miss any important instructions or anything like that.

Eastlink is good, I have internet with them. It depends what you mean by service, though. If you mean "Can I get a signal?", then yes, any of the companies are fine. I have 4G in most places and LTE in some places here, I've never had an issues with reception. Rogers and Bell tend to have lousy customer service but I've always had good experience with Eastlink (at least for internet and cable TV) and Telus for cell phone. Rates are high compared with the US, so consider doing what BlackDog mentioned.

A wedding the first weekend is totally doable, especially if you have some flight time/down time where you might be able to review some stuff. Mostly phys and anatomy will be the big things at that point.

Thanks for answering all my questions! I think I might actually do what Blackdog mentioned since a Canadian plan is only$3 more to add to my existing plan! Also I notice in the handbook they only mention a dissection kit,boots,lab coat, stethescope,penlight ,coveralls and thermometer. Will we be getting a formal textbook list later on? And are there any other things you would suggest buying in the U.S.? Also for first year do we actually have to register for classes or are they already pre-set since we don't have electives?