Average $ for psychiatry resident moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesPhilly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says, I saw a four year old thread by fonzie, was curious what people say now

PGY3 here. I am fortunate in that my program has in-house psych moonlighting. On the weekdays it's ~$70/hr for a few hours in the PM, and ~$80-$110 an hr on the weekend for a 12 hr shift, depending on if it's a holiday or # of pts (there's a base pay plus a bonus for how busy it gets). All psych ED and/or inpt psych work. Can work up to the 80 work hour limit if you so desire

Now, there is also a 'corrections facility' nearby that offers $130/hr, but it's general practice work, suturing and the like. Sounds more like a PA position. I stay on top of my skills, but still, it would take awhile to get really confident with it, but the current resident there is a friend & fellow psych resident who says I'd be fine. It's also weekends only, 24 hrs at a time. Sometimes it's nuts, sometimes it's dead, either way the pay is the same

Just curious what everyone else is getting paid, how much people are working, and what sort of work people are doing. Are people doing psych only, 30 hrs a week, etc?

Also, may I just take a second to say, holy Christ, I cannot believe I am starting to make really money??!! Beats my days at the cash register at McDonalds by many orders of magnitude

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I appreciate the response. Did you do non-psych stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
$100/hr for outpatient CMH during residency.

Doing inpatient adult psych moonlighting on weekends now during my fellowship. It comes to ~ $95/hr.

Here are the few I can tell you about:

Internal moonlighting (after/before hours in our clinic): $500 for 3 new patients or $500 for 6 follow-ups.
Inpatient facility 30 patient contacts per day (admissions count as 2): $3,800 for weekend.
State hospital: $125/hr for 8 hr shift.
Jail: $150/hr.
Inpatient facility weekend rounding (~20 pt census): $3,500/weekend.
Telepsych: $125/hr

Reactions: 1 users
I highly recommend it. It will make your transition to practice easier. I would try to get a variety of experiences.

Reactions: 3 users

Internal moonlighting (after/before hours in our clinic): $500 for 3 new patients or $500 for 6 follow-ups.
Inpatient facility 30 patient contacts per day (admissions count as 2): $3,800 for weekend.

What kind of agencies or places were offering telepsych?

That's a rough weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
San Diego. That's minus malpractice and the like.

I worked at County EPU, county jail, private hospital weekend coverage, and did disability evaluations.

That colleague did not violate the 80 hr rule...

80 hr rule is somewhat recent.

That said, I can see how it is possible at an average rate of 150/hr for ~25hrs for 46 weeks.

Cush 40 hr, 4th year schedule... I can see how it is possible.

Last edited:

Is this in the south, around Texas.

Pretty respectable rates. I recently learned that attendings that do locums/part time work in the psych ED are paid roughly $165/hr for a 12-hour shift. Extracted out to full-time (4 shifts/week) that's pretty outstanding money, but compared to moonlighting work for residents that are still in training it seems a bit on the cheap side. Maybe my expectations are too high.

This is at a big county hospital.

@NickNaylor I think your expectations are too high... 4 shifts/wk FT plus one 12 hr shift locum would sum up to over 300k/year while not working yourself to death. Not bad IMO.

@NickNaylor I think your expectations are too high... 4 shifts/wk FT plus one 12 hr shift locum would sum up to over 300k/year while not working yourself to death. Not bad IMO.

Yeah I completely agree. That's a pretty generous salary. But you're effectively paying someone ~$30/hr more for completing residency and earning board certification. That seems like an extremely small difference. So either residents are being paid too much, attendings are being paid too little, or there is no actual difference in quality between the residents and attendings that are working these jobs.

Yeah I completely agree. That's a pretty generous salary. But you're effectively paying someone ~$30/hr more for completing residency and earning board certification. That seems like an extremely small difference. So either residents are being paid too much, attendings are being paid too little, or there is no actual difference in quality between the residents and attendings that are working these jobs.

Some people only make about 8 bucks an hour. And what residents are getting 130 and hour? Not many I would assume.

Maybe it's the former, but remember that they are doing the same job...

Most residents moonlighting are picking up less desirable shifts, weekends and overnight on inpatient units or psych EDs, and this is what drives the pay up, because most attendings don't want to do this work, unless they are getting better pay for those shifts. For example, a hospital might salary a doctor at 250K/year inpatient (or less), which is roughly $1000 each work day with 4 weeks vacation, assuming no weekend work. But on the weekends they pay an independent contractor $1800/day. Part of this is because they don't pay any benefits or payroll tax on the independent contractor, but I think the big reason is working the weekend sucks, so you have to pay more.

Sigh. I used to make $100 a night doing call for residents who didn't want to do call.
I was happy with it. Residents would pay me.
And it wasn't too long ago (within last 10 years).

Starting to like psych more, I asked about moonlighting in the IM forum and almost got my head bit off. People were suggesting I not even think about moonlighting during residency, and fellowship MAYBE moonlighting was doable, but id still be incompetent at it. For any residents or attendings here, how difficult would it be for pgy 2 residents to moonlight maybe a couple 12 hr shifts a month? In pgy 3,4 could you probably do more?

Last edited:
Starting to like psych more, I asked about moonlighting in the IM forum and almost got my head bit off. People were suggesting I not even think about moonlighting during residency, and fellowship MAYBE moonlighting was doable, but id still be incompetent at it. For any residents or attendings here, how difficult would it be for pgy 2 residents to moonlight maybe a couple 12 hr shifts a month? In pgy 3,4 could you probably do more?

I did much more than that pgy-2.

I have an opportunity to make $200+ per hour as a prescriber in a subutex clinic in Western Pa. Will cover PA license and airfare if out of state. Very nice gig for residents, fellows, attendings. See my classified post.

Is moonlighting something allowed in pgy-1?
I doubt any place would allow it. To begin with, you wouldn't be able to get your own license yet, so it would have to be internal moonlighting. And secondly, there's no way you're ready to moonlight as a PGY-1.

I doubt any place would allow it. To begin with, you wouldn't be able to get your own license yet, so it would have to be internal moonlighting. And secondly, there's no way you're ready to moonlight as a PGY-1.
Ok than you

I meant to say thank you

I have an opportunity to make $200+ per hour as a prescriber in a subutex clinic in Western Pa. Will cover PA license and airfare if out of state. Very nice gig for residents, fellows, attendings. See my classified post.

"Prescriber" lord :vomit:

Wanted to see where things stood these days.. I've seen residency programs talk about moonlighting opportunities, including rates, but I have no idea what's considered "good" these days. Also, is moonlighting generally better in certain states?

Any updated input?

Depends on the state and institution. Some with crisis teams let you start as a PGY-2 where you're basically working alongside the social workers and then you get to do more as a PGY-3. Some have opportunities only after you're a PGY-3 and some places don't have any internal ish at all. I was told what it was at some institutions, but didn't write it down because I'm frankly planning to do it if it's even remotely reasonable pay.

I know how much someone factors in moonlighting when choosing a program is controversial.
It shouldn’t be. For some reason there’s this prevailing notion out there that doing hard labor at 2am with “supervision” is infinitely more valuable than getting paid for the same kind of labor “without supervision.”

Reactions: 7 users
Here are the rates I've been quoted so far as I'm currently looking for moonlighting gigs:

$120/hr for private hospital inpatient work seeing around 14-18 follow-up patients per day (8 hours per day)
$120/hr for county inpatient work seeing around 4-8 acute follow-up patients per day (leave when finished)
$120-175/hr for psychiatric emergency room in a county psychiatric emergency room for a shift of 8 hours each
$1,652.00-1,922.50 per 8 hour shift in a county psychiatric emergency room
$2400 per 2-day weekend on an inpatient unit doing 10 follow-up and 2 new admissions (9 hours/day)
- $1450 per additional day if there's a holiday attached to that weekend ($5300 for a 4-day holiday weekend such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years)
$1,922.50-2,065.00 per 10 hour shift in a county psychiatric emergency room triage
$1,320.00 per day for 14 follow-up patients (8 hours) in a county inpatient unit

Residents at a community hospital where I work are paid $100-$130 an hour for inpatient, ED and CL.