Average grade in Medicine Sub-I: Repercussions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fermi

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got the evaluations in for my medicine "Sub-I" (the second of two 6-week medicine rotations) and my evalations were unfortunately pretty lukewarm :( . Actually, there were even some non-positive comments (constructive criticism) that will likely go into my Dean's letter. At best, I will get a "high pass" on our scale of H/HP/P/F. I also got an HP on my first medicine rotation.

I have Honors in a couple other core rotations, but I wonder how this might affect my chance at matching to more competetive IM programs--specifically Northwestern, Mayo or UCSD to name a few. I am not AOA (obviously) and don't have any blemishes on my record but no big honors other than those mentioned, and mid-230s Step 1. I'm just really bummed right now, as these evaluations are quite a bit lower than most of the feedback I've received thus far.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, I know how you feel. MY sub-I has been a dissapointment. You can PM me if you would like.

relax ... you will be fine and match at a great place.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed..my Sub-I didn't go that hot either; my intern was a total ***kwipe and made it miserable, got an HP.. Although I didn't apply to any of the places you mentioned, I got quite a decent University-based residency and am turning out to be more than a decent intern, to my surprise! It's only 1 grade and your letters of rec, other honors, and Step 1 score will more than make up for that at the majority of places, incl. NW, Mayo, UCSD, and maybe a few programs that are much more competitive (never know:))

Hey, don't worry too much about your lukewarm sub-I grades. With your honors in several of the other specialties as well as a strong step 1 (for IM), you should honestly have no trouble matching at Mayo at least which is great. Though they have an awesome name and great clinicians to teach you, their location simply makes them less competitive. As for getting into Northwestern or UCSD, that depends more on where you live/grew up and where you currently go to medschool (a cali program, top 25, etc). UCSD is simply harder to match into due to its location while Northwestern is more picky in the selection process. Good luck, and don't stress too much. You'll end up where you need to be ;)

I am really worried about doing well in my AI and wanted to know if I should postpone it until later so it won't show up on my application or dean's letter. Would you recommend putting it off until later? I wasn't sure how important it is....
Thanks.............

MidwestMD said:
With your honors in several of the other specialties as well as a strong step 1 (for IM), you should honestly have no trouble matching at Mayo...their location simply makes them less competitive. As for getting into Northwestern or UCSD, that depends more on where you live/grew up and where you currently go to medschool (a cali program, top 25, etc). UCSD is simply harder to match into due to its location while Northwestern is more picky in the selection process.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I am hoping Mayo is somewhat a "bargain" in terms of competetiveness for its prestige level, and I don't have a problem with its location. I did my undergrad at NU, but that didn't help me in applying to med school there so I'm not sure if it will carry any weight with the IM program. Still very nervous about the grade in my sub-I though...I feel like one bad eval is going to ruin me :(

How can anybody truly grade a Sub-I? It's like giving a grade to a combat soldier in a war.