Average in all regards - Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yojimbo_OGT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately your MCATs are below average, not average in all regard

If you're from a lucky state you have a decent shot at your state school(s), especially w/ the excellent sGPA. I can't speak to how the abnormally low first MCAT will be viewed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Missouri is a friendly state for low-MCAT applicants with a 7 in VR. The 10th percentile for verbal at one of their state schools (UMKC I think) is a 7. You should get interviews there. I'm guessing the 7 is in verbal because your sGPA is basically perfect and your cGPA is not, implying difficulty with humanities courses.

If money is a concern, I would have applied DO instead of the low-yield private schools, which get enough 9 VR apps to populate a small Midwestern town entirely with premeds.

The stellar sGPA strongly implies you will do well in a med school curriculum.

The phenomenal sGPA at a top school like WASHU I think will help your case alot. I think you can get II's with your list; 7 subsections are never good but it can be overcome and you have things that can really help your cause. Now if the 7 subsection happens to be in say the Bio section that will be a bigger issue.

I do indeed hail from the Show-Me State. I was really excited to shoot for UMKC until I signed into MSAR. (Huge buzzkill)

Science is by far my strong suit. @Doug Underhill yes you are correct about the 7VR. Even though I believe this to be a fluke, I hear taking the MCAT 3 times is application-suicide, so that 7 is stuck with me for now.

If this year is a bust, then I'll probably just go for DO next year. I just don't see any way that I can redeem that 7VR at this point.

How did you prepare for VR? With even more dedication you can bring it up. A second retake is not suicide if you can score significantly better.

How did you prepare for VR? With even more dedication you can bring it up. A second retake is not suicide if you can score significantly better.

The bold is the problem. Verbal scores are often most resistant to change. Even first time retesters only get a 2+ point bump in verbal 40% of the time who had a 7 on their first showing(and I don't think it would be worthwhile to re-take unless you can get at least that 2+ pt boost). https://www.aamc.org/students/download/271686/data/retestervrscorechange.pdf

I'd be willing to imagine those stats drop off a fair amount for 3rd time tester. My guess is OP has hit their ceiling in terms of verbal at the 7-8 mark(and getting an 8 on the retake for a 3rd time wouldn't do much at all for the OP). What is more likely is OP if they take it a 3rd time gets the same score(which will only hurt) or worse(which is a significant issue). Like I said above I think OP can get II's with the 7 verbal this cycle; a 3.95 sGPA from WASHU is truly phenomenal.

Sorry for the confusion. That 3.95 sGPA was from a state school. Now I'm at WashU doing a PBPM program.

...thanks for advocating my case though : )

Hah well makes a little more sense now, I still think you can be competitive just the re-taking the MCAT for a 3rd time just to improve verbal often times is not a very smart decision.

The bold is the problem. Verbal scores are often most resistant to change. Even first time retesters only get a 2+ point bump in verbal 40% of the time who had a 7 on their first showing(and I don't think it would be worthwhile to re-take unless you can get at least that 2+ pt boost). https://www.aamc.org/students/download/271686/data/retestervrscorechange.pdf

I'd be willing to imagine those stats drop off a fair amount for 3rd time tester. My guess is OP has hit their ceiling in terms of verbal at the 7-8 mark(and getting an 8 on the retake for a 3rd time wouldn't do much at all for the OP). What is more likely is OP if they take it a 3rd time gets the same score(which will only hurt) or worse(which is a significant issue). Like I said above I think OP can get II's with the 7 verbal this cycle; a 3.95 sGPA from WASHU is truly phenomenal.

This makes sense. But if you look at OPs post below, you'll see that he didn't really prepare. I didn't prepare for it that well on my first test and scored a 6 (25%) but after 4 months of verbal practice, I scored 70% on 2015 CARS ~9/10. You never know.

I took a couple AAMC Practice MCATs (averaged a 9VR). Otherwise I didn't prepare. I honestly don't know how to study for VR without buying something. (The $30 I spent on the practice MCATs are a lot cheaper than the $3K Kaplan course, which I would looooove to take).

You don't need a course. You need a strategy that you alter by trial and error, and practice every day on passages for 3 months. You can get passages from books/online!

This makes sense. But if you look at OPs post below, you'll see that he didn't really prepare. I didn't prepare for it that well on my first test and scored a 6 (25%) but after 4 months of verbal practice, I scored 70% on 2015 CARS ~9/10. You never know.

You don't need a course. You need a strategy that you alter by trial and error, and practice every day on passages for 3 months. You can get passages from books/online!

Ehhh there obviously are cases like yours there are also many people I know who their first practice test score was basically the same as what they got on the real deal even after a prep course and months of practice.

I agree that courses are largely wastes. If anybody wants to improve CARS AAMC Material(both old and new MCAT), TPRH hyperlearning workbook and in class compendium, EK 101 passages is what you need. Actively reading texts similar to MCAT style passages(say the economist or political magazines or persuasive commentary on music or art) everyday for months can also improve your abilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Round your 7 up to a 10, and you will be golden.

Good luck!

No.

The phenomenal sGPA at a top school like WASHU I think will help your case alot. I think you can get II's with your list; 7 subsections are never good but it can be overcome and you have things that can really help your cause. Now if the 7 subsection happens to be in say the Bio section that will be a bigger issue.

Reactions: 1 users

Well turns out the OP didn't go to WASHU anyway. Regardless it was probably better to just say the top notch sGPA in general will help your case not put the "WASHU" qualifier as means of saying WashU name alone just overcomes 7 subsections.

Nop as is in the disconnect between your high GPA and MCAT score draws some negative attention, especially if you're a native English speaker. However, even with VR 7, I think you're competitive for a number of MD schools. Even more so for DO programs. Your plan of seeing how the app cycle shakes out is sound.

No as in school prestige isn't a deciding factor? Or no as in not even going to WashU would help specifically my case?

Resurrection.

Like I mentioned above, I was hoping to apply to more med schools once money came in. Well, money came in. Anyone care to weigh in on these schools (or have suggestions for adding others)?

Drexel
Temple
Loyola
Tulane
George Washington
You could receive an interview at any of those schools with your stats so they are worth applying to.