Average MCAT, low GPA, chances of getting into DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamebl0uses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first-time poster long time reader etc etc etc. I'd like to hear what you all think about my chances of getting into some DO schools. I have a low undergraduate GPA, which I'm thinking is my downfall. It's I believe a 3.21 cGPA with a slightly less than 3.0sGPA. My undergraduate study habits were not the greatest. Luckily, I performed well (or better than I thought I was going to) on my MCAT, and received a 33. I have decent LoR (two good ones from DOs, one from MD, two from science profs that probably aren't that great), some good volunteer/shadow experience and I worked at an adult foster care home for patients with mental illness and TBIs during my undergrad. I applied fairly late in this cycle, as in my AACOMAS application wasn't released to schools until 11/1. I''ve gotten my secondaries out to LECOM (both E and B), CCOM, PNWU, NYCOM, Marian, ACOM, and Nova Southeastern. I've also applied to SGU and a basic medical sciences masters program at Wayne State (which I've been accepted to) as my back-up. Do I have any chance of getting in? Thanks for reading and your advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is not average. It is very good. The thing that will kill you with DO schools is that your sGPA is less than 3.0.

Last cycle I applied to DO schools with 3.2cGPA and 2.8sGPA with 33MCAT...got nothing because most schools didn't send me a secondary as a result of my sub 3.0 sGPA.

This cycle I have a 3.0sGPA and 3.3cGPA and 33MCAT and have multiple interviews and acceptances from DO schools. I only applied to 8 of them..got rejected pre-interview at one though.

you need to retake a course or two immediately and get your GPA above 3.0. Once you do that it is smooth sailing for you.

Also, forget the masters program. You don't need it and they are a waste of money in my opinion. Just retake 2-3 science courses and your are golden. Just build up your EC's more.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is not average. It is very good. The thing that will kill you with DO schools is that your sGPA is less than 3.0.

Last cycle I applied to DO schools with 3.2cGPA and 2.8sGPA with 33MCAT...got nothing because most schools didn't send me a secondary as a result of my sub 3.0 sGPA.

This cycle I have a 3.0sGPA and 3.3cGPA and 33MCAT and have multiple interviews and acceptances from DO schools. I only applied to 8 of them..got rejected pre-interview at one though.

you need to retake a course or two immediately and get your GPA above 3.0. Once you do that it is smooth sailing for you.

Thank you for the quick reply. I've never had to retake a course before, and now that I've graduated from undergrad I've moved back home. Does it matter where I retake a course (ie can I retake them at a community college)? I think I've read enough that AACOMAS simply replaces your first grade with the higher one? Congratulations on your acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the quick reply. I've never had to retake a course before, and now that I've graduated from undergrad I've moved back home. Does it matter where I retake a course (ie can I retake them at a community college)? I think I've read enough that AACOMAS simply replaces your first grade with the higher one? Congratulations on your acceptance!

You can retake them wherever. If you do it online..make sure you check with the schools first to see if they accept those credits. Community college is fine. It is preferred to take it at a 4 year institution but not everyone has that available.

Def retake the courses! Seriously, you don't need the masters. That type of masters doesn't mean anything anyway, it just supplements your application to medical school. But it won't matter because your undergraduate GPA is sub 3.0. Even if you rock that masters, your undergrad GPA is what matters the most. The MOST important thing you can do is fix your undergraduate GPA at this point.

Hey everyone, first-time poster long time reader etc etc etc. I'd like to hear what you all think about my chances of getting into some DO schools. I have a low undergraduate GPA, which I'm thinking is my downfall. It's I believe a 3.21 cGPA with a slightly less than 3.0sGPA. My undergraduate study habits were not the greatest. Luckily, I performed well (or better than I thought I was going to) on my MCAT, and received a 33. I have decent LoR (two good ones from DOs, one from MD, two from science profs that probably aren't that great), some good volunteer/shadow experience and I worked at an adult foster care home for patients with mental illness and TBIs during my undergrad. I applied fairly late in this cycle, as in my AACOMAS application wasn't released to schools until 11/1. I''ve gotten my secondaries out to LECOM (both E and B), CCOM, PNWU, NYCOM, Marian, ACOM, and Nova Southeastern. I've also applied to SGU and a basic medical sciences masters program at Wayne State (which I've been accepted to) as my back-up. Do I have any chance of getting in? Thanks for reading and your advice in advance.

you are fine as is, just don't apply to these schools: Touro-Ca, Touro-NV, KCUMB, DMU, NSU, and CCOM.

Get that sGPA >3.0 and you'll be OK. If you have any C's in science courses, repeat them for AACOMAS grade replacement.