Average student interested in anesthesiology in california

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justAstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an average medical student attending a California medical school. I just got my STEP1 score and it was average. I'm involved in one research project that's unrelated to anesthesiology that will most likely get published next year or so. Other than that I haven't done much else. Is it possible for me to land a residency in California? Any suggestions how I can improve my resume these next 2 years?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

A) Honor your clinicals
B) Befriend those in high places
C) Do aways
D) Letters from B and C
E) Kill step 2
F) Do more research
Optional, G) Have some baller story to tell in your personal statement

Formula doesn't really change much year to year...

This is all true.

Applying to only CA gas progs isn't realistic if your #s are avg. For plan B, you'll have to decide what's more important: doing anesthesia or doing residency in Cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind there are a few pretty mediocre Anes programs in CA. Getting into a CA medical school was the big hurdle. Boggles my mind how you could pull that off and not get into a CA Anes residency??

Keep in mind there are a few pretty mediocre Anes programs in CA. Getting into a CA medical school was the big hurdle. Boggles my mind how you could pull that off and not get into a CA Anes residency??
Possible he could be at the DO school in CA. Anyways, this guy is also putting up this same post in forums in other specialties so it appears he's pretty clueless

Which ones are mediocre?

Which ones are mediocre?

Most notably Harbor.

Then a bunch I would put in a middle mediocrity group: USC, Davis, UCI, LLU, Cedars

Then the good ones (north to south geographically): UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UCSD

Not DO school. Interested in anesthesiology and EM so I posted in 2 subspecialties.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If that's the case, then just relax dude cuz it truly would be baffling if you have a hard time getting into a CA residency. I went to Berkeley for undergrad and there were tons of geniuses there who got into some of the best med schools in the country and couldn't even get waitlisted at a CA med school.

Reactions: 1 users