Average time from application to interview invitation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a super non-traditional applicant and VERY nervous. (Applying for second residency, had a few gaps in med school with good reason switched programs in the same field for good reasons). How long does it usually take between applying and being asked to interview?

Members don't see this ad.

24 hours. You didn't get any yet? Time to send out a second round of apps.

Reactions: 3 users
I got interview invites anywhere from <24 hours of submission through the middle of December. But yes, there is a huge variability from specialty to specialty (a number don't send out any invites until October or later).

Reactions: 1 user
Back in the day (just so we're clear, most of you were still in high school then), my interviews offers started the day after submission and my last one was offered in January. So roughly that timeline.

[email protected]'m not sure I understand why you're so nervous. You've been through this process before so you should know it pretty well. More importantly, you've completed a residency in probably the only medical specialty that won't get bent over in the coming healthcare funding apocalypse. You could go out tomorrow, rent an office in some drab office park, hang out a shingle, spend a couple grand on marketing yourself and watch the cash (actual cash, not insurance collections) roll in. I'm not questioning your motivation to do a 2nd residency, but on the off chance that doesn't work out for you, you're going to be fine.

Last edited:
When I applied to psych and had all of my LORS in, I got invites fast, I applied to ten DO programs and only got one invite- they invite EARLY
, I REALLY want to also practice FP as well, hence the anxiety. There's way more to life than $. It's happiness as well. I LOVE psychotherapy btw, so I won't be making all that much, but I REALLY want to practice both, I so miss the "rest" of medicine. Applied to ten MD programs. (I REALLY don't want to move, so I didn't apply to a lot of programs.) I also don't want to do a cash only practice, I don't like the idea personally. Thanks, I will just be neurotic and check my email constantly:).