Average Total Hours for Extra Curriculars (EC's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To preface, I understand that quality over quantity is important, as well and uniqueness etc. That said, there must be some "ballpark" range of expected hours for both medical and non-medical EC's. Taking into account someone who works full time, what would be the expectation of total hours for medical and non-medical volunteer hours?

Members don't see this ad.

My school's premedical advisors suggest 200-250 hours. I think it would depend on the schools you are applying to.

According to ADCOMs... ~100 hours for cookie cutters, more than 200 for more competitive applicants. Obviously the more the better as long as it doesn't negatively impact your grades and MCAT. Some people take ECs too far and their stats take a hit. Good ECs will make a good student look better, but unfortunately good ECs won't make a poor student look better.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be clear, this is for all ECs total, or for each EC?
4 years of undergrad = each EC. In my opinion, I believe having many hours in a few ECs shows dedication opposed to spreading your time thin for the sake of having many EC's.

Yikes. I started hospital volunteering sophomore year, but can only fit one 2.5 hour shift a week into my schedule. I'll be lucky to cross the 100 hour mark by the time I apply.

Yikes. I started hospital volunteering sophomore year, but can only fit one 2.5 hour shift a week into my schedule. I'll be lucky to cross the 100 hour mark by the time I apply.
What about your summers?

Most people do four hour shifts and it adds up quick. You should be over 200, don't worry. Piggyback some non-clinical volunteering on top of it for more hours and variety on your application. You might enjoy it too!

What about your summers?

Summer 1 I had a full time research internship. Summer 2 I shadowed (95 hours) and did a little clinical research and took the MCAT.

Most people do four hour shifts and it adds up quick. You should be over 200, don't worry. Piggyback some non-clinical volunteering on top of it for more hours and variety on your application. You might enjoy it too!

First let me say I appreciate your upbeat tone haha. Yeah actually one of my main ECs is a group that I helped start, where we teach stress reduction in local high schools (underprivileged populations). So I figure that works for non-clinical volunteering, plus I have some significant leadership there. Haven't added up hours but it should be at least 100 for this group

Reactions: 1 users
Summer 1 I had a full time research internship. Summer 2 I shadowed (95 hours) and did a little clinical research and took the MCAT.

First let me say I appreciate your upbeat tone haha. Yeah actually one of my main ECs is a group that I helped start, where we teach stress reduction in local high schools (underprivileged populations). So I figure that works for non-clinical volunteering, plus I have some significant leadership there. Haven't added up hours but it should be at least 100 for this group
That's a unique EC, but nevertheless it's great and really helpful to those students! As Palnes2Doc said, if you can squeeze 4 hours a week, do it. You're on the right track.

Reactions: 1 users
So if I've got ~ 2 years before I apply then 4 hrs a week should be OK it seems. Just trying to budget my time with full time work, doing prereq's, prepping for MCAT and managing those three alien beings that follow me around uttering "hey dad, hey dad." Does full time work offset the expectation at all?