"average" unremarkable applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this may sound like a stupidily phrased question I suppose, but do applicants with "average" GPA's get into dental school? By "average" i mean someone whose GPA is neither amazing, nor horrible, somewhere in the 3.35-3.40 range (that's me!)

I haven't taken the DAT yet but my science GPA looks to be ending up around the 3.35-3.40ish range, although I still have approximately 20 units to take, so my numbers can go up. Apart from this, there's nothing remarkable about me as an applicant. Yes, I've shadowed some (only 35 hours so far). yes, I've volunteered, Yes, I have a lot of work experience as a non-trad applicant. I just don't know if I look good as an applicant...I'm just having so many doubts :/

I don't plan to apply until June of next year, fyi.

Members don't see this ad.

While I'm by no means an expert, I believe the answer is yes, applicants with average GPAs do get into dental schools. You need to remember that GPA is just one of the handful of factors that go into selecting applicants. A 3.4 is not terrible. Take your final 20 credits, and crush them. 3.45-3.55 isn't out of the realm of possibilities in most cases. Following that, prep hard for your DAT and you'll be in good shape, assuming you don't show up to an interview and start eating the office plants. In addition, get yourself in shape and organized to apply early. The earlier you apply, the more spots that are open, and generally the better your chances.

For my information and to get some visual feedback, check out Doc Toothache's spreadsheet he so kindly put together: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=899971

I think if you show your passion to want to be a dentist through your personal statement, you'll land interviews at many schools. Just apply to schools that fall within your GPA/DAT score range and maybe a few "out of reach" schools for kicks. Adcoms are looking for people that are serious about going into dentistry. I interviewed with many non-trads and they had the advantage of offering more life experience and maturity in their interviews. I think you still have a shot, but you need to have realistic goals and a definitive reason of why dentistry is right for you.

Members don't see this ad :)