AWA 3.5, should I retake GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midbrain86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for MPH but getting rejection from good places ( UT Houston, Rutgers )

I have 323( 160,163) but my AWA is 3.5(38th percentile)

Can my AWA or GPA 3.0 be the reason ? I can retake GRE and improve that.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about the 3.5 AWA. I also had a 3.5 AWA and was able to get accepted into multiple schools. Your GPA being at 3.0 could be an issue. How long have you been out of school? Additionally, your purpose statement could be affecting you. Were you able to clearly articulate why you wanted an MPH and what your career goals are. Additionally, with a 3.5 AWA, schools may look closer at the quality of writing in your purpose statement.

Other than that, you didn't give us much information to go on. You may want to work on getting some (more?) experience in the public health field. Did you have strong LORs?

Reactions: 1 users
You absolutely should NOT retake the GRE, you have a strong total score, don't worry about AW at all. Focus on improving other things, like SOP, recommendations, or take additional classes to improve your GPA (at an university extension, that's what I did and I think it helped me a lot)

Good luck on your application!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can reiterate the not retaking the GRE. I bombed it, although I had a 4 on the AW, still it is probably the smallest factor on admission decisions. I was admitted into a few programs even with low scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely bombed quant and AWA and was accepted to my top programs. As previously mentioned it's about the whole package and not just your AWA score- SOP, recommendations, GPA and GRE. Your Q/V scores are great, I wouldn't retake.