Away/Chances at Top 5 Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mudphudNeuro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long-time lurker, figured I'd finally post to get some input.

My situation: I'm a rising MS4 at a Top 15 MD-PhD program. I did well clinically (P/F in basic sciences, all H in clerkships except HP in surgery; not AOA) but my PhD was a bit of a dud (joined a prestigious lab, needed to make a mouse and failed, PI was MIA/kept pushing mouse until my GS4 year when I finally switched course). I eventually got a first-author paper in a low-ranking journal, a methods paper, and a book chapter. I did well on the boards (252 on Step 1; Step 2 CK/CS planned for April).

I'm hoping to match into one of the big Neurology programs with an R25 program (despite my PhD experience, I still want to do research big picture) like Partners, Columbia, Penn. For personal reasons, the northeast my ideal destination. My program is strongly encouraging me to do an away rotation at one of these institutions, citing my PhD as being "not quite good enough". I had never considered doing an away, frankly always thought they could do nothing but hurt. Just seeking input on whether I should make some room for an away next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will get interviews at all of those places even without doing an away rotation. Maybe 1 of them snubs you, but if you have other great options who cares. Despite what sounds like a challenging PhD experience you were still somewhat productive.

Going through this cycle (as a non PHD), I'm pretty sure you will have no problem getting any of those places and you will get your pick. My impression on interviews is that neurology programs really really love MD-PHD's , the fact that you have it is what they really like (even a "not quite good enough" PHD is a huge leg up against a non-PHD), and you have all H's , seriously dont worry.