Away electives...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbeans

PGY-fo'
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone get an interview at University of Washington without doing an away rotation there?

I've heard that you need to do one at U of W to get one even though away electives aren't required to apply for general surgery... any truth to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone get an interview at University of Washington without doing an away rotation there?

I've heard that you need to do one at U of W to get one even though away electives aren't required to apply for general surgery... any truth to this?

No truth whatsoever. It may help to get you an interview, but it isn't required, and it doesn't necessarily correlate into your matching there. Bear in mind this about away rotations; you need to completely bust your butt to be the best medical student they have ever seen or you really aren't going to impress them and the rotation will be for nothing. You'd be surprized by how many times a student will show up and seem no more enthusiastic than the third year students who don't even want to go into surgery. I've even been on a couple of services where the third year medical students are more enthusiastic and more hard working than the visiting fourth year. Needless to say, none of those fourth year students have matched at our program.

Find that second wind of energy for your away rotation and your AI and you can pretty much take the rest of fourth year off.

Hi redbeans,

I didn't do an away rotation there and I got an interview so in my experience, I don't think it is required. I actually didn't do any away rotations and I didn't have any problems getting interviews at great places such as UW. I did a number of sub-Is at my home school, worked really hard, and got very good LORs from the faculty and chairman which I think helped a lot. I think that if you have a strong application, it shouldn't matter too much. Good luck!

nobody in my class at the UW did away rotations here, and there are usually only a handful of students out of the 100 or so they interview that have done them.