Away rotation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

In terms of away rotations in an IM subspecialty is it more advisable to do it in a subspecialty you've already done at your home institution?

Right now I'm signed up for GI, ID then my SubI at my home institution and was just offered a cardiology away. The rotation description sounds very appealing and I think it would be a great learning experience. I also like the idea of having the diversity of experiences during my fourth year so I can get a head start on deciding my eventual fellowship.

Should I keep my schedule as is and accept the Cardio away? Should I make an attempt to get a GI away (the decision for which is still pending but I'm guessing given the popularity of GI it is unlikely I'll get it)? Should I switch one of my rotations at my home institution to cardiology? Will my SubI be enough prep for the Cardio away?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the cardio away. I don't think you're expected to know what subspecialty you want to go into at this point. Its good to get a nice wide exposure and it'll help you in the long run when you're a resident.