Away rotation in Mississippi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning for an emergency medicine away rotation in Mississippi. I have already read the residency review of its program here so I have some idea of what the program offers. I was wondering if anyone who has done a rotation there has any insight for me on what it will be like.

Thank

Members don't see this ad.

I am a graduate from there (3 years ago now) and did an away rotation there before matching.

Students worked directly with an attending, utilize a senior resident if you have any questions before discussing the patient. Lots of opportunities for procedures, espically lacerations and I&Ds. Jackson, MS is a 'rough' town so the ED is very inner city like, lots of pentrating trauma, and lots of blunt trauma from I20. Also, its the only tertiary care/Level 1 center for the entire state so if it happens in MS, its coming to you. On the flip side, for living arrangements, there are VERY safe areas in the Jackson suburbs and a few places in the city limits. I lived on 5 acres south of town and loved it.

The golden monkey is the moonlighting opportunities. You can make ALOT of money. I made more some months as a resident than I make now. That was the positive tradeoff for a four year program.

Unfortunately, MS gets overlooked because of its 4 year status. You will get excellent training there, make excellent money moonlighting, and can be very well rounded adminstratively when you leave. Also, the people are nice, housing is cheap. I lived on 5 acres just south of town. I still miss my place there!!

Good luck.