Away rotation? Need avice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent7860

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, I can feel your anxiety emanating from all that text. Sounds like you're freaking out about nothing. You got a 247, you're a US MD, and you have decent grades...you'll definitely match IM. You may not be able to enter the top-tier threshold without research or AOA, but that's far from the end of the world. If you were an IMG, you'd have something to worry about, but not even close in your situation.

I'll defer the questions about audition rotations to people going into IM. I feel like just 1-2 after rotating at your home institution would be fine though. Do them in Chicago to boost your chances of going back home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not going into IM, but I do know a number of people in my class with similar stats who were getting interviews from top tier IM programs. Obviously I don't have their ERAS apps; that's just my sense from talking to them.

I'll take a stab at the away rotation question, but know that it's purely my opinion and I'm not doing IM. I would advise against doing any at all. Yes, it could help overcome the clinical grades, but there is also a good chance that you worsen your chances wherever you do your away. This probably happens far more often than people making themselves look good. Aside from the sheer difficulty in being 'on' for 4 weeks and not rubbing anyone the wrong way, but you'll be in a new building where you don't know your way around, will likely have admin issues getting access to the EMR, and will likely be on a team with a herd of other local and visiting students. Not an ideal situation in which to distinguish yourself, especially if you're generally soft spoken and maybe not as assertive as your colleagues. If you do one, I would make sure to go somewhere you'd like to go that also creates a good experience for rotators.

The fact is you actually look pretty good on paper, especially with that step 1 score. I would make an effort to really crush Step 2; a same-percentile performance as your step 1 would give you ~255+ on step 2 (and most PDs don't understand that the scales are not at all related). Those combined with decent grades, some research, and good letters should put you in good stead for competitive IM programs. Frankly, I think getting yourself a publication or two would do a lot more for your app at research-heavy programs than an away rotation. Well, that and making sure you honor your Sub-I. Definitely honor the sub-I at your home school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine for IM. No need to do an away rotation unless you want to do one. Just finish strong.

It is very subjective and I feel your pain. I tend to rub folks the wrong way bc I have a "different" sense of humor and can be too outspoken. Psy seems to be the only place where I have gotten along well. And Neuro for some reason.

Anyways, r e l a x........... It is going to be ok..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I totally get how you're feeling but please understand that the average step 1 is now 230 and you're way above the average. There are people applying to IM with a below average step 1 and similar stats as you so you shouldn't have any problem. You may not going to get invited to interview at MGH but you'll definitely match to a solid academic program

I totally get how you're feeling but please understand that the average step 1 is now 230 and you're way above the average. There are people applying to IM with a below average step 1 and similar stats as you so you shouldn't have any problem. You may not going to get invited to interview at MGH but you'll definitely match to a solid academic program
Thanks! Do you think an away rotation is not necessary then?

don't do an away
it's an expensive way to waste thousands of dollars

can you explain why you want to do an away? because you want to be more competitive? join the club, it's called everyone and we met at the anatomy lab
the chances of you ****ing up are 100%. there hasn't been a rotation that i haven't ****ed up on yet. but on an away, everyone's watching you and you're there to get a letter and an invite so you'll be more nervous and stressed. also, you're almost guaranteed to look better on paper than in person. the only people who should do aways are the people who have to do it, for example ent or ortho applicants. im is only extremely competitive at the top and even then there's really little use to doing an away

I agree with the others but with some caveats.

If you want to match in Chicago, you should be able to do that. You have a solid app, you are from there, and Chicago has a variety of tiers of programs, so I would feel pretty good at matching somewhere in Chicago. I think doing an early Sub-I at your school and getting honors will likely benefit you more than an away rotation. Getting some good letters of rec will also really help.

Now, to talk more generally about away rotations. As mentioned above, away rotations are not necessary for IM, so I would not recommend doing them except for the following reasons:

1) Geographic necessity: If you need to be at a certain program due to geographic limitations, then an away rotation can be helpful. But, I am talking about really legitimate reasons (sick family members, spouse's job), NOT just because you really want to live there or end up there. However, this really only applies to programs in places where there is only one or two programs, and if you really need to be in that location.

This does NOT apply to places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Philly, etc where there are a bunch of programs (with a variety of competition levels). So, you do not need to do a rotation for this reason.

2) Breaking into the next tier of competition: As mentioned above, you have a pretty solid app, and you have a great chance of matching somewhere in Chicago. However, if you really have your heart set on the upper tier (maybe Northwestern or UChicago), then an away rotation may give you that extra boost your app lacks. Plus, if you do an away rotation, you are likely to get yourself an interview at the program. This may not greatly increase your chances of matching there, but your chances are certainly improved over not interviewing at all.

This second approach is risky, and I wouldn't count on it working out. But it is always worth a shot if you are set on the upper tier. I would not recommend it unless you are really sure and you think you can show up and do well.

I do want to end with saying that you (and everyone) needs to be really careful with away rotations in specialties where they are unnecessary. I would NOT do an away rotation at a place where you are already very competitive (except for reason #1 above) because I think you are more likely to do poorly or do nothing to improve your application (which can be just as bad). For you OP, I think you are probably competitive at several Chicago programs, so you really don't need to do an away rotation.

to be fair, there are a ton of programs here in Chicago that I would rather go unmatched than match into.