Away rotation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrissyxf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I applied to 2 different institutions for July 6 rotation dates. In any case, I have not heard from either institution (acceptance or rejection). One school explicitly says that we would hear no later than 6 weeks prior to rotation start (that would have been Monday- the holiday) but they also said they wouldn't start scheduling until May 25 (the holiday) so I'm not sure if the 6 week rule applies for the first rotation block. I really wanted to get a LOR from an away prior to applications going out and this was my only chance.
My school will not allow me to drop a rotation at my school this "late" so I currently have no rotation for the month of July (bc if I got the away, I would want the option to take it).
I have 3 options. 1) Continue to wait and hope that I get one of these away rotations (I applied for a total of 6 at the 2 different places) and then scramble in the last 2 weeks for a rotation at my home institution (limited choices, won't be a sub-I or graded rotation), 2) Call the 2 institutions and express my interest and willingness to rotate in other sub-specialties- by doing this, I could hurry up the process of acceptance or rejection, or 3) wait until the bitter end and then do a "research" month. I have some research I could actually do.
Suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My move would be some variation of #2 (getting in touch, expressing interest, and clarifying when you can expect to know)