Away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derm_Explorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all- can someone with prior experience please let me know the best 1 or 2 derm programs in California excluding UCSF and Stanford? Thanks (if you could also let me know the reasoning, I'd appreciate it)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all- can someone with prior experience please let me know the best 1 or 2 derm programs in California excluding UCSF and Stanford? Thanks (if you could also let me know the reasoning, I'd appreciate it)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

My reasoning: :roflcopter::roflcopter::roflcopter::roflcopter:

Last edited:

If you are going to apply for residency programs in California, you aren't going to select 1 or 2. You'll pan apply and make a decision based on where you get interviews. Hint: unless your stats pop off the page or you have an inside connection, you usually aren't in the driver's seat.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are going to apply for residency programs in California, you aren't going to select 1 or 2. You'll pan apply and make a decision based on where you get interviews. Hint: unless your stats pop off the page or you have an inside connection, you usually aren't in the driver's seat.

Exactly. Very competitive specialty + California = You, as the applicant, don't get to pick and choose and decide what's the "best".

Even those who've done derm research years, during med school, at places like UCSF or Stanford, pan-apply to all the California derm programs and take what interviews they are able to get.

I got the feeling he was asking about what schools to do away rotations at, not what schools he should apply to.

Unless it is truly that hard to get away rotations in California as well, then I understand the posts!

I got the feeling he was asking about what schools to do away rotations at, not what schools he should apply to.

Unless it is truly that hard to get away rotations in California as well, then I understand the posts!

I never applied for aways in California but I would guess those aren't easy to come by as well. I would pan-apply for those as well and if you receive multiple opportunities, I would rank them in the order of how they cater to the rotator (is this a program that offers courtesy interviews? has a history of matching their rotators? writes letters for their rotators?). You'll want to speak with other students and possibly past rotators to obtain this info

Yes, this is about away rotations. For residency, I'll apply to all. Excluding USCF and Stanford, which other 1 or 2 do you think is best for an away rotation? (based on reputation or as smallchild said courtesy interview, matching, and opportunity for letter of rec)

That kind of information is tough to come by. Try asking students who matched in dermatology from your school if they've heard anything along the interview trail about California programs and student rotations. Try asking students who matched into California programs this year. If you are feeling particularly bold, try reaching out (appropriately of course) to the current residents at those programs. If all else fails, you'll have to take a leap of faith (which I'd argue you are doing anyway by targeting California programs so heavily). Unfortunately, it won't be laid out so neat and simple for you on an online forum.