Aways Advice for Midwesterner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssaiyan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm a current MS4 and hoping to apply to derm. I'm still finalizing my rotation schedule and I've been told by residents choose aways carefully and to go somewhere that has a track record of interviewing their away rotators. I'd like to do a couple in the midwest, which is where I want to be eventually. Does anyone know of such programs or where to find out that information.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,
I'm a current MS4 and hoping to apply to derm. I'm still finalizing my rotation schedule and I've been told by residents choose aways carefully and to go somewhere that has a track record of interviewing their away rotators. I'd like to do a couple in the midwest, which is where I want to be eventually. Does anyone know of such programs or where to find out that information.

thanks!

Lucky for you, last year in this forum, we made a GoogleDoc to store this info. It does not have all programs, but it should be helpful.

In terms of finding a program you might want to match at in the Midwest, the big private universities (Case, Northwestern, WashU, and Mayo) are all fantastic, as are most of the big state schools (Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa). Henry Ford is also excellent. Try and use the GoodleDoc and talk to residents at your program to see if they rotated at any of these institutions, and if they did, ask if they got an interview and if they enjoyed the rotation.

Offhand, I know a few things:
Michigan's visiting student office is disorganized, so your request may be received but never processed
Northwestern is usually saturated with rotators, so it may not be the best choice
Indiana supposedly lets med students be fairly hands-on in clinic
Minnesota supposedly takes relatively few rotators, so it can be difficult to get a spot, but it also means you'd probably get more attention
Wisconsin and Iowa are both fantastic programs, but neither uses the standard VSAS application, so it requires a bit more paperwork
WashU makes rotators submit additional paperwork
Mayo has specific cut-off dates for rotating.

Reactions: 1 user
Lucky for you, last year in this forum, we made a GoogleDoc to store this info. It does not have all programs, but it should be helpful.

In terms of finding a program you might want to match at in the Midwest, the big private universities (Case, Northwestern, WashU, and Mayo) are all fantastic, as are most of the big state schools (Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa). Henry Ford is also excellent. Try and use the GoodleDoc and talk to residents at your program to see if they rotated at any of these institutions, and if they did, ask if they got an interview and if they enjoyed the rotation.

Offhand, I know a few things:
Michigan's visiting student office is disorganized, so your request may be received but never processed
Northwestern is usually saturated with rotators, so it may not be the best choice
Indiana supposedly lets med students be fairly hands-on in clinic
Minnesota supposedly takes relatively few rotators, so it can be difficult to get a spot, but it also means you'd probably get more attention
Wisconsin and Iowa are both fantastic programs, but neither uses the standard VSAS application, so it requires a bit more paperwork
WashU makes rotators submit additional paperwork
Mayo has specific cut-off dates for rotating.

Lucky for me indeed... this is an awesome spreadsheet. thanks! I think I'm starting to lean towards Iowa and MCW.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if indiana gives interviews to away rotators? the spreadsheet says yes but n=1 there...