Awful semester. Is this something I can recover from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

Deleted for anonymity reasons

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not answering this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly even if you left with a C, C, B, and A you will still be just fine in the long run.

I definitely had some worse grades (and for no reason other than being lazy) and I had no trouble getting into schools.

Now if you can see yourself getting more sick and all of those grades dropping to 4 Fs, then maybe think about it... just because thats a GPA killer. So your big argument is whether or not this will destroy your GPA or not. If your GPA is fine, then you are fine, just keep at it.

The dude is dealing with a medical condition...? This isnt just a typical pre-med neuroticism. He is in a legitimate situation.

well he/she is better isn't he/she? and the reason that lead to the low grades doesn't matter as long as he/she does well from here on.
Something I wish I had known in undergrad...

So yea, just trudge ahead, you will be ok. And even if you end with a C or two, just call it a bad semester and as iWIllOneDay suggested, do good in the future.

Especially if you do well other semesters it will obviously show in your overall GPA but also in trends which are very important to adcoms. They really do take trends in your grades seriously. So if you had a rough start in college or a bad semester or whatever but then the rest are good, they will notice it and will take it into account on your application. Worst comes to worst they will ask in an interview and you will be able to say "I was dealing with an illness, but decided to push through." But even with a couple C's they absolutely will not say anything. I had a couple D's and a couple F's on my application (one F i only replaced with a C later on) from early on in college and it was never brought up and I was eventually accepted at that school. So yea, no worries...

Reactions: 1 user
All in all, if a 2.5 is your worst semester, you should be more than fine. Plus, if you're really interested in applying DO, grade replacement could turn those C's into A's.
Good luck!

I have a chronic illness that hasn't been kind to me this month. With being in the hospital for 7 days the second week of the semester and then having another related issue that put me out of several classes afterwards, and my current grades are now C, C, B, A.

Faculty who know me and my situation well have advised taking a medical withdrawal. However, this is an option that isn't really an option, because due to family issues I would have nowhere to live if I left school even for a semester.

The other option, and what appears to be the only option here, is to forge ahead and try really, really, really hard in my classes in an effort to get my grades up by finals time the second week of December.

Do you think that a series of bad quizzes and missing assignments in the month of September will affect my grades in such a way that I will be unable to walk out with a good GPA this semester? In other words, if I were to get an A on every assignment and never miss another class, is there hope that everything will even itself out by the end of the semester? Am I so far gone that this isn't realistic?

Thank you,

RespectTheChemistry19

Many premed students deal with situations comparable to yours. There are many factors that play into if you can mathematically get your grades up or not. For example, how many more exams, tests, etc. You, and only you, know if you have the drive, determination, and persistence to fix your grades. Yes, if you sit there and study your butt off you CAN get A's on your remaining exams and really boost your overall grades. However, knowing yourself, are YOU going to do that?

Also, the only "bad" grades I see here are your two C's, and honestly, even with those two C's you will be fine for any D.O. school (assuming you don't have horrible grades already).

My advise is to bust your a** and finish strong. Get your grades up! You want to be a doctor, right? You are a premed right now, but what will happen when you are in medical school or residency and you have a problem in your life? You need to be able to pick yourself up.

Keep calm and carry on brother!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a chronic illness that hasn't been kind to me this month. With being in the hospital for 7 days the second week of the semester and then having another related issue that put me out of several classes afterwards, and my current grades are now C, C, B, A.

Faculty who know me and my situation well have advised taking a medical withdrawal. However, this is an option that isn't really an option, because due to family issues I would have nowhere to live if I left school even for a semester.

The other option, and what appears to be the only option here, is to forge ahead and try really, really, really hard in my classes in an effort to get my grades up by finals time the second week of December.

Do you think that a series of bad quizzes and missing assignments in the month of September will affect my grades in such a way that I will be unable to walk out with a good GPA this semester? In other words, if I were to get an A on every assignment and never miss another class, is there hope that everything will even itself out by the end of the semester? Am I so far gone that this isn't realistic?

Thank you,

RespectTheChemistry19

Sorry about the abrasive and pointless first comment OP.

Is withdrawing from one course a possibility? I think if you can you should do that to put your efforts into getting that one C into the B range.

With your illness as well it'll be of your best interest to take a lighter load perhaps?

Hope you feel better soon and best of luck!

Is withdrawing from one course a possibility? I think if you can you should do that to put your efforts into getting that one C into the B range.

With your illness as well it'll be of your best interest to take a lighter load perhaps?

Thats also a solid option I never thought about. Maybe it will help to lighten the load a bit? Take a W instead of one of those C's, so long as dropping the course does not affect your financial aid/full time status.

That could help you to focus on the other 3 courses and perform stronger in them and still have some time to rest up and whatnot. No one is even going to bat an eyelash at a single W on a transcript, or even a couple W's for that matter.

@AlteredScale you strategic little bugger you ;)

Reactions: 1 users

This is the last time I'm going to make a joke or write a snarky comments on SDN. I'm done.

Yes, you can recover academically. Just do better in all future semesters.

You might be able to ask for retroactive withdrawals.

Thank you,

RespectTheChemistry19

This guy is a mind reader. Exactly what I would have said. (Then again I don't think anyone would believe that :playful:)

Press on!

Does your school have a policy about being able to complete assignments/quizzes/tests at a later date due to a medical absence? This might be something you should dicuss with your profs or with an advisor, both of whom will be able to give you the most accurate advice. As others have said, one mediocre semester won't ruin your chances. On the bright side of things, it may show your ability to bounce back academically, and if the semester is an outlier, then I think it will be treated as such.

Thank you,

RespectTheChemistry19
You need to get out the syllabi and do the math to see how feasible it will be. Realistically assess the level you were performing at before the illness and extrapolate. Are you usually a 90 - 95% type student? Then assume 90% for all points remaining and see where that will put you, etc.

*Bumpsies*

So, I did wind up getting sicker and being more or less required to take a full medical withdrawal.(I missed enough classes/labs that I would have been given Incompletes.) I found a relative who would take me in, and that was that.

Is having a medical withdrawal on one's transcript considered to be a red flag?

I got a B-/C/F one term and I managed to get in, so you should be good.