Axis I-V

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F0nzie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we still writing all 5 in our notes?

Members don't see this ad.

I am for now, but working with the hospital's IT dept is proving to be difficult in encouraging change.

I heard that you may need to include A5 even after Oct comes and goes because insurance companies may be lagging.

For those in cash PP sitautions, you can just follow ICD-10/DSM-5 now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
don't use any of the axis'.....never did. Patients get a diagnosis.

Reactions: 1 user
don't use any of the axis'.....never did. Patients get a diagnosis.
Doesn't that cause a problem with some insurances who require axis 1-5 before they'll provide payment?

I do it for initial eval or admission. Diagnosis list otherwise. I'm looking for reasons to stop doing axes.

I list six Axes and bill an extra 99212 on the day of admission.

Reactions: 1 users
I used to use multi axial system religiously.
Lately I've been cutting it down to one generic list, which is basically the same thing but without the word axis in front of each line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

which insurance companies recognize the DSM? i never use the axes and often don't use DSM diagnoses. it doesnt matter. do what you think is best.

We had some initial problems not listings GAF (*lol*) or not having the 5 axis with a few insurence providers. After enough push back with arguements that the field no longer uses Axis in the DSM and that every other physician uses straight up diagnosis, they quickly stopped arguing. As a plus, notes look a lot prettier with just a list of diagnosis and not having them on axis!

Doesn't that cause a problem with some insurances who require axis 1-5 before they'll provide payment?

I haven't had any problems getting reimbursed yet. The reimbursements aren't big enough, but that's another complaint:) But who knows maybe if/when I ever get audited it will come up.