Ayn rand anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ingramw1202

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to how the sdn population will respond. Personally, I love every book Ayn Rand has published. The fountainhead was probably my favorite with atlas shrugged in a close second. Does anyone else wanting to be a physician enjoy her work? Or does everyone generally believe if you like Ayn Rands work then you must be a soul-less poor hating vampire who doesn't know anything about anything?? Curiouser and curiouser..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious as to how the sdn population will respond. Personally, I love every book Ayn Rand has published. The fountainhead was probably my favorite with atlas shrugged in a close second. Does anyone else wanting to be a physician enjoy her work? Or does everyone generally believe if you like Ayn Rands work then you must be a soul-less poor hating vampire who doesn't know anything about anything?? Curiouser and curiouser..

Join a book club.

LOLZ. Is u serious?

I don't think you're soul-less: I think you're an upper-middle class white kid who has a myopic view of the world and your own privilege

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hheheheh nahhhh. Her philosophy is quite interesting, especially in how it related to modern medicine and the issue of healthcare. Myopic? I would say no. Aware of the differences in the various schools of thought that have been running rampant in the world over the past one hundred years? Yes. White. Definitely not. Hahah. And as a further detail, this thread was created in response to some of the rather ignorant responses on either side of the argument in the thread discussing urms in medicine. Curiouser and curiouser...

She's real popular with the nutjobs in the anesthesiology subforum.

Hheheheh nahhhh. Her philosophy is quite interesting, especially in how it related to modern medicine and the issue of healthcare. Myopic? I would say no. Aware of the differences in the various schools of thought that have been running rampant in the world over the past one hundred years? Yes. White. Definitely not. Hahah. And as a further detail, this thread was created in response to some of the rather ignorant responses on either side of the argument in the thread discussing urms in medicine. Curiouser and curiouser...

"Curiouser?" Nice.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos and brevity)

not taken seriously by academic philosophers, I'd recommend Nietszche over Ayn Rand. my problem with objectivism is its inherent ignorance of the fact that the playing field is not equal.

not taken seriously by academic philosophers, I'd recommend Nietszche over Ayn Rand. my problem with objectivism is its inherent ignorance of the fact that the playing field is not equal.

Explain
I'm not a Rand supporter by any means. Had to Google just now, but what I read in blurbs sounded good. Logic > emotion. As emotion is not constant between individuals it can never be used to find a factual truth. Only reason can which, while also not equal among individuals, at least yields a common result when applied appropriately

You have my attention, please continue. I would like to hear you exapand on this some.

Explain
I'm not a Rand supporter by any means. Had to Google just now, but what I read in blurbs sounded good. Logic > emotion. As emotion is not constant between individuals it can never be used to find a factual truth. Only reason can which, while also not equal among individuals, at least yields a common result when applied appropriately

Yes I had a similiar thought.

I don't think it is important that the field be equal because it never will be. But we must apply governance as if all people (or the field) are equal, no other method is compatible with a free society.

Now that is if I'm understanding the comment correctly.

Yes I had a similiar thought.

I don't think it is important that the field be equal because it will never be. But we must apply governance as if all people are equal, no other method is compatible with a free society.

Now that is if I'm understanding the comment correctly.

Which is why we wait for the response :) I've always thought logic should trump emotion (I've actually got it tattooed in a well hidden spot). But this ayn character is new to me so I'm not ignoring the possibility that what I am hearing is just my own spin on a cliff note version and what she really stood for was grossly different than what I believe. Nuance can be everything

Nietzsche's entire plight is self-overcoming--hardly an objective task. Read Thus Spoke Z and Twilight of the Idols. Nietzsche is running one of the most sophisticated and relevant philosophies of modern time--hardly in the same league, let alone ballpark, as Ayn Rand...

Members don't see this ad :)
The Fountainhead is probably my favorite book. It's pretty apolitical, unlike Atlas Shrugged, which often resembles more of a treatise on Rand's politics than a literary work. I'm sympathetic to her view, though, and think she's largely misunderstood due to very strict definitions she used, especially for "selfishness" and "altruism," that have very different meanings in colloquial language. Although she was blatantly wrong on many things such as the implications of having a female President and the moral underpinnings of homosexuality, she did have many ideas that are very worthy of discussion and IMO represent a valuable viewpoint that is often ignored (separation of both church and economics from the state). Whether those ideas could work in practice is another story, but like I said, still a valuable viewpoint to be considered.

Regarding Atlas Shrugged, I do think it does a good job of showing the unintended consequences of increased regulations that well-meaning politicians don't foresee. I think it's worth the read for this perspective alone.

I'd have to disagree. But nietzsche is great as well. The key to objectivism is sheer reason and logic. I don't think that it is ignorant of the fact that the playing field is not equal. It acknowledges this repeatedly. It simply accepts as fact that the playing field is not equal. This is always true. Every man has a right to his own mind and his own life. No man can make a claim upon the fruits of the effort of others unless given permission by the one who created said product or idea. To do otherwise is theft and morally wrong because it violates the truth that you are your own person and you own yourself. Because you own yourself you must also own your mind and the products of your mind, therefore it is your right to do as you wish with yourself or mind, regardless of the wishes of others. Her philosophy is based on logic and reason. To argue against such a philosophy is illogical, thus any attempt to argue against it Is fundamentally flawed. However, this is only the case if objectivism is perfectly logically, which one can never know unless they possess infinite knowledge. Because Ayn rand didn't possess infinite knowledge, it can not be firmly stated that every facet of her philosophy is true. But it is interesting to think about and her ideas are worth acknowledgement in my opinion :)

Explain

This is true, which I like. Her fundamental idea is that reason must always be a product of logic, and there does exist a logical absolute. But although I support the philosophy, I agree what was stated about her ignorance on certain issues. Personally, I believe that her system of economics is perfect, but it could never be implemented because we live in an imperfect world. I also believe that logic does trump emotion on many issues, If not all. However, I don't agree with her absolute dismissal of such notions as sympathy and altruism. Each emotion must be felt for the self, not for the sake of others. For example, if you express sympathy for the poor, it should not be done on the basis that the poor NEED your sympathy, instead it should be expressed because you yourself have the desire to serve others, and the action of doing so satisfies this desire. But like many have said before me, her philosophy, while perfect from the standpoint of purpose, is in itself flawed because it came from an imperfect mind. I believe that it is a noble endeavor, and it seeks to give power back to the self, making you the master of your own life. However, it gives no basis for ethics, although it seeks to. From the objectivist standpoint, what is morally right is what reason based upon and absolute logical truth would lead you to do in a particular situation. But because we are ignorant of such a truth, we can never know what is truly morally right and what is morally wrong. Even though you may act for yourself, you may not be making the correct decision for yourself. In general though, this would work for the most part to benefit society, but one can never know that a decision is absolutely correct and ethically straight. I believe this is what you are talking about when you say that reason often time leads to a common result among individuals.
On her dismissal of faith and other non-reason based ideas, I can not agree. Simply due to the notion that because no man possesses infinite knowledge about the universe and all of existence and all of time, then we can't do away with what is not understood because it seems illogical. Often times observed phenomena in the universe can not be explained by OUR reason or logic. But it still occurs, thus implying imperfection in our attempts to rationalize the universe. But, this train of though ultimately implodes due to the nature of the arguments: if an absolute reason exists, then a perfect being would always follow this absolute to act. If this being always follows this absolute in all actions, then he must be aware of this absolute truth.

Ayn rand argued against the existence of God, but if her philosophy is correct, then there must be a god, or atleast some equivalent. Otherwise, there is an absolute truth and no way of knowing it because we are not perfect. If this is the case, then any attempt to justify an action based on logic and reason is purposeless because the truth can never be known.

But....like I said, a noble endeavor and there are a lot of great points in her books that I think everyone should be aware of :)

This is true, which I like. Her fundamental idea is that reason must always be a product of logic, and there does exist a logical absolute. But although I support the philosophy, I agree what was stated about her ignorance on certain issues. Personally, I believe that her system of economics is perfect, but it could never be implemented because we live in an imperfect world. I also believe that logic does trump emotion on many issues, If not all. However, I don't agree with her absolute dismissal of such notions as sympathy and altruism. Each emotion must be felt for the self, not for the sake of others. For example, if you express sympathy for the poor, it should not be done on the basis that the poor NEED your sympathy, instead it should be expressed because you yourself have the desire to serve others, and the action of doing so satisfies this desire. But like many have said before me, her philosophy, while perfect from the standpoint of purpose, is in itself flawed because it came from an imperfect mind. I believe that it is a noble endeavor, and it seeks to give power back to the self, making you the master of your own life. However, it gives no basis for ethics, although it seeks to. From the objectivist standpoint, what is morally right is what reason based upon and absolute logical truth would lead you to do in a particular situation. But because we are ignorant of such a truth, we can never know what is truly morally right and what is morally wrong. Even though you may act for yourself, you may not be making the correct decision for yourself. In general though, this would work for the most part to benefit society, but one can never know that a decision is absolutely correct and ethically straight. I believe this is what you are talking about when you say that reason often time leads to a common result among individuals.
On her dismissal of faith and other non-reason based ideas, I can not agree. Simply due to the notion that because no man possesses infinite knowledge about the universe and all of existence and all of time, then we can't do away with what is not understood because it seems illogical. Often times observed phenomena in the universe can not be explained by OUR reason or logic. But it still occurs, thus implying imperfection in our attempts to rationalize the universe. But, this train of though ultimately implodes due to the nature of the arguments: if an absolute reason exists, then a perfect being would always follow this absolute to act. If this being always follows this absolute in all actions, then he must be aware of this absolute truth.

Ayn rand argued against the existence of God, but if her philosophy is correct, then there must be a god, or atleast some equivalent. Otherwise, there is an absolute truth and no way of knowing it because we are not perfect. If this is the case, then any attempt to justify an action based on logic and reason is purposeless because the truth can never be known.

But....like I said, a noble endeavor and there are a lot of great points in her books that I think everyone should be aware of :)

Way too long to read lol.

But to your last couple paragraphs, different conclusions are not precluded from what I understand of rands philosophy. Conclusions are a product of inputs and degree of logical thinking. Two people reaching different conclusions is possible given different t exposures and different logical ability ans still stay completely true to the philosophy ... or that is my understanding at least. Someone more well read in Rand may disagree

Sigh.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Reactions: 1 users
Explain

Which is why we wait for the response :) I've always thought logic should trump emotion (I've actually got it tattooed in a well hidden spot). But this ayn character is new to me so I'm not ignoring the possibility that what I am hearing is just my own spin on a cliff note version and what she really stood for was grossly different than what I believe. Nuance can be everything

I think you're confusing objectivism and Objectivism (I know, that's already confusing). Objectivism with the capital "O" (even if it weren't at the start of the sentence) is Rand's system of philosophy, which encompasses more than just what you described. It involves claims on morality and egoism, promotion of extremely laissez faire capitalism, and many other things.

Sigh.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
Haha, I've seen that one before, and love it.

There's an entire other philosophical argument to be had here. I especially take issue with the last part about Rand's philosophy and the existence of God, but that's for another place.

I think you're confusing objectivism and Objectivism (I know, that's already confusing). Objectivism with the capital "O" (even if it weren't at the start of the sentence) is Rand's system of philosophy, which encompasses more than just what you described. It involves claims on morality and egoism, promotion of extremely laissez faire capitalism, and many other things.

That's completely possible

One upon a time, when I was 17, I read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged and loved them. Now that I'm 29 it's easier to see that her "objective" analysis of the world leaves out enormous chunks of objective reality. I'll come back and supply a real argument when I'm done getting into med school and have nothing better to do.

You might avoid putting her in your personal statement if you don't want to end up like Galt - that is, smugly mopping the floor somewhere.

I read Atlas Shrugged and I found myself agreeing with many of her arguments but disagreeing with the conclusions that she distilled from them.

Also:
tumblr_lr0gscEnHO1qbelbio1_500.jpg

Her books are shallow and boring. All of the characters are essentially identical borderline cutouts and the dialogue is horrendous. Atlas Shrugged was basically her own narcissistic fantasy. I am an avid reader and it was honestly one of the worst books I have ever read.

The truth can never be fully known. It is mathematically impossible to prove every true statement within any non-trivial axiomatic system (google Godel's incompleteness theorem).

It sounds like you were going for a bit of the classic "we can imagine a perfect good --> there must be a God argument" (can't remember the exact philosopher, but that's a weak argument as well. There are countless things we can imagine based upon extrapolation that don't require the existence of the limit.

But to your last couple paragraphs, different conclusions are not precluded from what I understand of rands philosophy. Conclusions are a product of inputs and degree of logical thinking. Two people reaching different conclusions is possible given different t exposures and different logical ability ans still stay completely true to the philosophy ... or that is my understanding at least. Someone more well read in Rand may disagree

I agree with your statements. But one key facet of her philosophy is what exists exists. What is right is right because it is right. That is a very abstract concept but just from what I garnered, the only way for this to be true is if there is some absolute right and absolute wrong. A is A simply because it IS A. I think that rand was frustrated with the world and the common dismissal of reason, so she sought to encourage others to snap out of illusion.

Sigh.

Bahahahahahahahaahahahah

I love everything that woman has ever written!

Sigh.

Someone beat me to the quote

Write about Ayn Rand in your personal, statement, see how that goes for you

I don't support libertarianism or any other idiotic "GIVE THE RICH EVERYTHING" fringe politics. Is Atlas Shrugged still worth reading? I want to read something interesting, I don't care if it's insightful.

I don't support libertarianism or any other idiotic "GIVE THE RICH EVERYTHING" fringe politics. .

This is quite possibly the stupidest description of libertarianism. It's mind blowing this is how people perceive it to be. I am by no means a libertarian, but I respect their paradigm, which is not "give the rich everything" and cannot be labeled "fringe politics"

I'm not going to write out a well thought out critique of why I disagree with Rand because a) I'm a bit removed from the book now, as I read it back it high school and b) no one would read it if it's long...it's hard to tl;dr philosophy

Either way, Pre-med kids, as a whole, can be categorized as majority smart/well-off Caucasians kids or smart/well-off asians. When you belong to that social class, it's very easy to read Rand's work and thing "OMG HECK YES! I'M TOTALLY GOING TO READ MORE OF THIS ON MY IPAD WHILE LAYING SAFE AT HOME!!". Her philosophy resonates with this group. That's why most of Rand's supporters are staunch right-wing social conservatives, or what we call today "Republicans". But I sincerely think once you live life on your own, and take the time to understand socioeconomic and sociopolitical powers at play within our pseudodemocratic framework, her philosophy dismisses itself.

Last bit---i think it's funny right wing philosophers use her as the go-to now days; she rejected, quite vehemently, religious institutions and faith as a whole.

it's okay, it was a waste of time and it seemed like he/she was just trying to show off that he read rand in a college philosophy class, an introductory one at best

LOLZ. Is u serious?

I don't think you're soul-less: I think you're an upper-middle class white kid who has a myopic view of the world and your own privilege

I'm from a lower middle class non-caucasian family and I enjoyed Fountainhead...

I don't support libertarianism or any other idiotic "GIVE THE RICH EVERYTHING" fringe politics. Is Atlas Shrugged still worth reading? I want to read something interesting, I don't care if it's insightful.

its not about giving, its about earning...you should definitely read it

I'm from a lower middle class non-caucasian family and I enjoyed Fountainhead...

it's not about enjoying, it's about taking it as a legitimate framework for society and policy making (which Republicunts are doing)

lolz. Is u serious?

qfa

Rand was very self-centered and tried to use her philosophy to justify it. Her stances on politics and economy are, I think, rather silly, and it's really alarming to see how she created what was basically a cult of personality around herself. Despite her writing in the defense of reason, she was often anything but reasonable.

That being said, while I do think that she was an incredibly egocentric human being with strange political ideology, she was also a very intelligent woman and her work in the field of epistemology is very rigorous and, in my opinion, worthy of serious consideration. "Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology" is what made me realize that even Ayn Rand isn't all bad. Seriously, give it a read--you might be surprised at how thoughtful and persuasive she can be.

Even if you disagree with her policies, I think it would still be worth reading. I've heard her prose is awful so I've been avoiding it (the parade of preening as$holes who gush over her has also made me take pause), but will probably get to both this summer.

Likewise, I recommend reading "Left Behind" to get some insight into how 30% of America sees the world. It's hilarious how even though the book is supposed to be about the remaining sinners, they all turn out to be virgins (even the middle aged rock star).

(I'd recommend reading Stephen King's The Stand first though, just because it is a much better book and the parallels are amusing.)

That bitch cray.

a quicker way to lose credibility i cannot conceive