***AZCOM Class of 2010!!!****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aflo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there attending Midwestern next fall? I just thought I would jump start this thread so we can start getting to know each other!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I sent in the first deposit and am looking like I am headed to AZCOM unless I get pulled off the competitive list for my state school (Univ. of Washington). Very excited to be heading to Glendale!

I loved the interview day and the school. I chose AZCOM over acceptances to CCOM and DMU.

Anyone else?

Does azcom prefer in-state applicants over out-of-state applicants???

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello future AZCOMers! I'm an MS-1 and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the first year. Hopefully all of you can get a good class thread going. My class had one but it died early last quarter. So far I've enjoyed my experience here at Midwestern. Having a test every Monday is brutal, but atleast it keeps you on the ball. Well, I gotta get to studying for the upcoming anatomy/histo exam, but feel free to either pm me with questions or ask them in this thread.

-Matt

okayplayer said:
Hey, I sent in the first deposit and am looking like I am headed to AZCOM unless I get pulled off the competitive list for my state school (Univ. of Washington). Very excited to be heading to Glendale!

I loved the interview day and the school. I chose AZCOM over acceptances to CCOM and DMU.

Anyone else?

I turned down acceptances from DMU and WVSOM. What made you decide to go to AZCOM?

Do you two remember the names of your tour guides or the students you met on the interview day? I know Daniel and Jason gave tours, maybe you met them. They're really cool. My class is relatively laid back, but not quite as much as the MS-2 class. I think my class seems a little more intense. It will be interesting to see how your class turns out.

I don't remember my tour guide's name, but he was not really all the at informative. He did not know where some of the facilities were, but maybe with less than 2 months at the school he was still trying to get a feel for everything.

As far as housing I am renting a house pretty close to the school since I have a dog. So anyone else looking for a roomate and would rather live in a house, I would like to split the cost and expenses. Just send a PM.

Any MSIII or MSIV that are doing rotations in Phoenix? I want to do most of my rotations in Phoenix, was it hard to find placement? Could you tell me about your experiences in general with rotations.

okayplayer said:

Anyone else?
Hey okayplayer, which day did you interview? I think there was a guy in my interview group from the NW.

okayplayer said:
I do not remember my tour guide's name...it was a girl, she was really cool and definitely chill.

So inquiringmind or any other current/former AZCOMers, what should we do about housing? The on-campus apartments look nice, but I think I'd like to get away from the campus when I leave at night. What are some good options for nearby apartments? I'm willing to pay a little bit more (looking for a 1br/studio) if it is nicer than average and close. Also, when should we start looking into apartments? I'm done with school in May and I'm thinking I'll try to fly down and look into it then.

Jake

I'm a first year at AZCOM as well....I would recommend san lagos apartments, which are across the steet (59th ave) from the campus. They are very nice and have a sweet pool (year round 24 hours).

First off, congrats to all of you for being accepted...looking forward to meeting all of you next fall. As a current first year student, I'm enjoying it here at AZCOM. Anyhow, if there's anyone interesting in off campus housing, I have a room available in a brand new house...15 minutes away from campus. Shoot me a message for details...again, congrats on being accepted!!!

Well, I've done a ton of research (since I am on Christmas break and not working :)) and since I am unfamiliar with the area, here are the various off-campus housing options I've come up with that are apparently good (this is from previous AZCOM threads):

1. Arrowhead Highlands - nice but expensive
2. San Prado - nice but expensive
3. Arrowhead Summit - nice but expensive
4. Sage Stone
5. The Park at Arrowhead
6. Sierra Canyon?
7. Palm Court?
8. Deer Valley?
9. Sun Creek?
10. Monte Viejo?

Any AZCOM'ers or people from the area know anything about these?

What I am looking for is a reasonably priced 1br/studio in a decent area that is very close (5-10 min. max drive) to campus. $500-$600 would be nice, but is apparently not likely.

If I can't find that, I think I will try to go with one of those top 3 apartments (esp. whichever ones are so nice and right across the street) and try to get a cool AZCOM kid for a rommate. I'd prefer a 1br since I haven't made any friends yet, but the 2br's are like $900 there vs. 1br's for $800...it is a no brainer. I think those apartments are actually a pretty good deal for the 2br but prohibitively expensive for a 1br.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
First off congratulations, you should all be proud of yourselves. I am a second year at AZCOM, the apartments listed are all very nice. Most give a discount to MWU students and a great deal of our students rent them. Sage Stone (now San Lagos) is one of the more popular ones since it is right across the street.

AZCOM is very tough, but well worth the effort. you will be prepared when doing your rotations. Again congratulations.

When is everyone moving out to Arizona? I know our orientation is towards the end of August, but if everyone is moving out here earlier than that maybe we should get together to know each other. I know don't know about the rest of you but it might be nice to get to know people so you could make a wise choice for anatomy lab partner, etc. Also, it is good to know everyone before you have to get into the grind.

anatomy groups are assigned. keep your fingers crossed. :)

It was a very tough decision, but I've finally fully paid my AZCOM deposit and turned everyone else down!! I can't wait to get started!! Anyone moving out there from the New England area?? It would be great if we could split moving costs, PM me if interested.

maxhealth said:
It was a very tough decision, but I've finally fully paid my AZCOM deposit and turned everyone else down!! I can't wait to get started!! Anyone moving out there from the New England area?? It would be great if we could split moving costs, PM me if interested.

Congratulations! Welcome to our class!

The match results came out for Texas and it looks like i'll be joining you guys at AZCOM, my first choice OOS school. Are most of you guys going for on-campus housing or living somewhere else? Also, since we start so late, I was wondering what you guys are thinking about doing in the summer. I was considering getting involved in some research but most people in med school right now say you should just relax the summer before. Any opinions on this?

baylorguy03 said:
The match results came out for Texas and it looks like i'll be joining you guys at AZCOM, my first choice OOS school. Are most of you guys going for on-campus housing or living somewhere else? Also, since we start so late, I was wondering what you guys are thinking about doing in the summer. I was considering getting involved in some research but most people in med school right now say you should just relax the summer before. Any opinions on this?

I would relax as much as possible and take a trip overseas. Last summer I traveled in Peru for three weeks and had a really good experience. Since I had money left over from my job, I was able to travel on money that I didn't have to pay back. From first year on, you will probably have to travel on loan money. But don't study what ever you do!

I agree...take the summer off and enjoy it as much as you can. Plenty of studying to do once you start.

aflo said:
Any MSIII or MSIV that are doing rotations in Phoenix? I want to do most of my rotations in Phoenix, was it hard to find placement? Could you tell me about your experiences in general with rotations.

I am an MSIII and I have done all but my cardiology rotation in Phoenix.
The great thing is that we are getting better access to hospital based rotations here in the valley as a third year. I have done my internal med rotation at the VA and am currently in general surgery at Maricopa County.
Is is hard to find placement? Generally, no. There is a lottery system for most of the rotations and I don' know of many people that got axed out of rotations that they wanted. Peds is still a hard sell b/c there is a lack of preceptors and the Phx children's hospital has ridiculous rules as to who can rotate there.
I have had wonderful experiences thus far, with the exception of one family med rotation. The VA is an excellent place to do medicine! Maricopa for surg is the busyest rotation I have been on...14-16h days m-f. But youget to do and see a lot!
If you have any specific Q's you can PM me.
Congrats, years 1-2 are really a lot of fun, if you let it be ;)

I just send in deposit number two! Looks like I am headed to AZCOM unless by some miracle my state school decides to accept me.

I was pretty excited to get the orientation schedule. I am ready to get going! Anyone else with me?

okayplayer said:
I just send in deposit number two! Looks like I am headed to AZCOM unless by some miracle my state school decides to accept me.

I was pretty excited to get the orientation schedule. I am ready to get going! Anyone else with me?

What up Okayp!

Congrats and see you in Arizona!!!

I will be seeing you guys out there in Glendale. I will be mailing in my second deposit this week. Most likely I will move out there the first or second week of August. If any of you are out there then, we should meet up somewhere.

Also for any current students, I am about to fill out my FAFSA and need some help. I remember during the Financial Aid presentation that they said most students do some sort of work study for $1000. I was wondering what is done during the work study, how many hours you guys work, and if you have enough time to study while working? Please let me know when you can.

Hey all. I finally made my decision and submitted my second deposit for AZCOM! I agree with the idea of socializing a little before things get really busy. I am planning on moving down sometime during the first two weeks of August. I submitted my security deposit for on campus housing too. I don't know anyone and I thought the apartments would be a good meeting place. I'm excited about meeting all you guys and I'm looking forward to a having a great time and education in Arizona!

Hi Everyone! Congratulations to you all! I'm really looking forward to getting out to Arizona. I'm also going to be out there about a week early and I'd love to get together with anyone interested. :)

Hey guys,

You probably all have received the financial aid packet in the mail by now. I just completed the first four steps of the electronic financial aid application tonight but I am getting stuck on step 5, the private loans section. I'm not sure what I need to do on this part/how much money to take out/who to use, etc. Hopefully as long as I get the first four sections done I'm good for now.

I understand that we can get up to $38,500/yr in Stafford loans. It seems to me that our total cost is going to be right around $60,000, since I believe tuition goes up by a couple thousand per year. So I think I will need ~$20,000 in private loans this year...

Can any Class of 2010'ers or current students help me out?

Thanks!

EDIT: So the two private lenders that seem to come up as being good are the THE (http://www.northstar.org) and MEDLOANS ALP (http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/students/start.htm) loans. Also, should we be taking out Stafford loans through the school, as they say, or through a private lender? I keep seeing stuff about getting bonuses on the total amount of Stafford loans, like this http://www.salliemae.com/manage/medrewards.html.

Hey guys,

You probably all have received the financial aid packet in the mail by now. I just completed the first four steps of the electronic financial aid application tonight but I am getting stuck on step 5, the private loans section. I'm not sure what I need to do on this part/how much money to take out/who to use, etc. Hopefully as long as I get the first four sections done I'm good for now.

I understand that we can get up to $38,500/yr in Stafford loans. It seems to me that our total cost is going to be right around $60,000, since I believe tuition goes up by a couple thousand per year. So I think I will need ~$20,000 in private loans this year...

Can any Class of 2010'ers or current students help me out?

Thanks!

Hey Okay,

I also recently filled out the financial aid stuff. I called the financial aid office with questions about the private loan section. They told me NOT to fill it out now, rather to wait until I received my award letter from the school (some time in May). Apparently if you fill it out too early, you're just going to have to do it again once the award letter comes out from the school (so you know how much more you'll have to borrow). You should probably just give them a call to avoid problems.

Peace!

Thanks maxhealth! What about taking out Stafford through AZCOM or through another lender like Medloans that offers a bonus and also no origination fee (see the link in my last post)? I was just planning on taking them out through AZCOM, but those other ones SEEM like a better deal.

I dunno..

okayplayer said:
Thanks maxhealth! What about taking out Stafford through AZCOM or through another lender like Medloans that offers a bonus and also no origination fee (see the link in my last post)? I was just planning on taking them out through AZCOM, but those other ones SEEM like a better deal.

I dunno..

So I don't know really anything at all about finances other than ALWAYS be suspicious of bonus offers and such. The fine print tends to creep up on you when you least expect it. I took a quick look at the last link you posted (stafford loan bonus cash) and if you look at the terms, it requires that you pay the entire loan back in 10 yrs to be able to receive the benefit. I think most of us will probably on the 30 yr repayment train, so it looks like that benefit may not apply. Maybe post in the financial aid forum or ask the people at MWU financial aid office, granted they'll want you to use them no matter what. Let me know what you find out.

Here was my e-mail reply from AZCOM:

Yes, there are other lenders out there that have zero origination fees as well. The advantage of using MWU is that when you enter repayment and you are set up for auto debit you would receive a .25 interest reduction. Also, the revenue from using MWU as lender goes towards the Institutional Scholarships that we can then award to our students. Customer service is also a big factor. Sallie Mae is the servicer for MWU, so at anytime you have any issues with your student loans during the life of the loan, you can expect to receive excellent customer service. I would recommend you research your options and select the lender that meets your needs. It is ultimately your decision, and we want to make sure you are happy with who you select. If you decide to use a different lender that would not be a problem, just let us know so that we can make note of it and instruct you on what needs to be done.

Also, you can wait on applying for private loans until you know what you will receive in federal and or scholarships. Just make sure your credit is in good standing at all times.

Just wanted to say how boring we already are, class of 2010. Last post was like a week ago. Let's pick it up a little and show them other schools our AZCOM pride.

OK so maybe it was 2 days ago, but it still seems like a long time.

Any new info on the rotation situation for 3rd and 4th year??

Hey guys I will be joining you next year as the class of 2010! I already live in AZ so if anyone needs a place to stay while visiting AZ give me a call. We have an extra room and are more then happy to help you guys! Give me a call at 602-463-4089.
Heather

I am getting really tired of the thread not moving up on the list when we post. Could any moderators pipe in as to why????

How much are the deposits for AZCOM?

I'm interviewing on April 4th at AZCOM. Is that too late for an acceptance? Am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot?

The AZCOM 2009 thread had the same problem last year. It was really hard to keep the thread going. For some reason our class wasn't that active on SDN. Well, spring quarter starts tomorrow after a spring break that was way too short. Having completed the grueling fall and winter quarters, I'm willing to field questions any of you may have. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Amida said:
I'm interviewing on April 4th at AZCOM. Is that too late for an acceptance? Am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot?
BUMP BUMP BUMP it up!!

Dang, another 750 bucks, I'm a slacker, they actually called me to see if I had chosen to go elsewhere because they didn't get my second deposit. What can I say, if the good old state school accepted me their assumptions may have been true. As for now I'm still 1000 buck closer to seeing all of you this fall. Either way I am just excited to get started. :eek:

Alrighty gang. Anyone looking for roommates for next year? I'm planning on finding a house (to rent) and want to keep costs down by getting a roomie or two. I have a crazy 4 yr old yellow lab I plan on bringing with me. Who's game??

Well I think there are a total of four members of the class of 2010 that are actually still alive. Due to the mass suicides from ncaa bracket upsets most students have given up all hope of ever finding success in their future.

Come on let's get this thread going!!!!!

Does anyone know the fafsa code for MWU??

goinverted said:
Does anyone know the fafsa code for MWU??

I just did a search on the FAFSA site and it is E00906.

Ok, so I know at least one of you on this thread is from the New England area but we're searching for some others. If anyone is from the New England area and might be interested in getting together some time in the near future let me know.

Only five more months guys!!!! Very exciting!!! :D :D :D