AZCOM class of 2017!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I'll try to make it without a car starting out. If I decide I really need a car, I can transport it out later. Considering my car already has 137k on it, I don't think I'll be driving it from VA to AZ. I figure I can get around on the Bus for my essential trips (food, etc). My G-ma lives in Apache Junction, which isn't all that close, but I could borrow her car for a period of time if I really needed it for a week/weekend. We'll see how it goes.

I'm super stoked though... especially given the snowy/rainy/cold weather today..and my boring desk job which I look forward to giving up :D

Having lived in AZ for my whole life, I would strongly advise you try and use a car. The bus systems in AZ are not nearly as good as what east coasters are used too. Arizona builds and expands horizontally, which means places are very far apart. And no one wants to walk outside july 15th when it is 118 degrees outside and your feet burn through your shoes.

Members don't see this ad.

Having lived in AZ for my whole life, I would strongly advise you try and use a car. The bus systems in AZ are not nearly as good as what east coasters are used too. Arizona builds and expands horizontally, which means places are very far apart. And no one wants to walk outside july 15th when it is 118 degrees outside and your feet burn through your shoes.

Thanks for the tip. I can definitely understand that. Do you know how the area is around the campus, especially at night when I'll probably try to do my running?

Thanks for the tip. I can definitely understand that. Do you know how the area is around the campus, especially at night when I'll probably try to do my running?

Glendale has a reputation for being pretty rough but the northern part of town where AZCOM is is actually fairly exclusive. The neighborhood just north of campus on the other side of the freeway has multi-million dollar homes built around an artificial marina.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be fine running at night, it isn't a high crime area around the campus, unless you're a girl, then just buddy run.

Does anyone know when we are supposed to find out about student housing if we applied for it? I thought they said sometime in March, but I haven't heard anything since I put down my payment.

Hi everyone, just graduated from AZCOM last summer and looking to rent out some rooms in my house while I'm away at residency. Let me know if your interested, congrats on the acceptance!!

Fully furnished, all bills included, monthly housekeeper - $650
•Looking for 4 singles or 2 singles and a couple
•4 bedroom house on a lake located ½ mile north of Midwestern campus, next to park
•All monthly bills included in rent: electric, water, gas, HD cable, wireless internet, and monthly house keeper.
•Fully furnished house and kitchen including 46” HDTV flat screen TV, BluRay player, Foosball table, dishwasher, and washer/dryer
•House is walking distance to campus
•3 standard rooms w/ shared bathroom - $650 per month
•Master Bedroom for one person or for a couple – contact for price
•Rooms available starting July 2013, maximum 4 tenants in house
•Rooms are only for Midwestern students. Sorry, no pets

Thanks!
Adam
[email protected]

For a class of 250, its so quiet in here.

I'm twiddling my thumbs and biting my tongue trying to be patient, oh so patient, for July 30 when orientation starts. Tick, tick, tick...

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess that makes me 5.

dude.............. 6.

In other news, when is everybody physically making the move? We are headed down around July 10th or so. Since I'm paying rent for July anyway, we want plenty of time to get settled... so I can focus solely on class Aug 5th.

In other news, when is everybody physically making the move? We are headed down around July 10th or so. Since I'm paying rent for July anyway, we want plenty of time to get settled... so I can focus solely on class Aug 5th.

I set my move in date for July 27th in the On-campus apartments... arriving July 25th. I totally just made the connection that I'm going to be moving to Arizona... in July... into a 3rd floor apartment... with all my stuff.

i got assigned to first floor but id like something on the second floor

havent started any of the immunization stuff yet. not freaking out yet, but time has really flown by these past few months.

i got assigned to first floor but id like something on the second floor

havent started any of the immunization stuff yet. not freaking out yet, but time has really flown by these past few months.

Im on the first floor too! What building?

I set my move in date for July 27th in the On-campus apartments... arriving July 25th. I totally just made the connection that I'm going to be moving to Arizona... in July... into a 3rd floor apartment... with all my stuff.

3rd floor for me too!!

I made that connex about a month ago during a dinner conversation... and then suddenly there was a shortage of volunteers to come with :confused:

It won't be that bad though, I will try to have my landlord/whoever turn the AC on 2 days before I get there or so, that would be awesome.

When are you guys gonna start on vaccinations and stuff? I havent yet....

I haven't yet... I need to contact my UG university and PCP and see what I already have on file and what I need. I know I'll need titers. I think I remember seeing somewhere that we should wait to get the titers until we get our loan disbursment or something, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Not yet... I need to contact my UG university and PCP and see what I already have on file and what I need. I know I'll need titers. I think I remember seeing somewhere that we should wait to get the titers until we get our loan disbursment or something, but I could be wrong.

Yeah thats right. They say to wait and get those titers during orientation week.

Do you know where we can find floor plans for the apartments? I remember seeing them somewhere I think, maybe before making my payment. I'm just trying to get an idea of the dimensions before I move in.

dude.............. 6.

7! My wife and I are still trying to decide where we want to live, we live in the eastern Phoenix metro area now and will likely be moving to Glendale mid-Julyish.

I'm sooo ready to be done with the daily grind of my current job, I've been doing it since September when I moved down here, it feels like the daily grind will stretch on forever. Just 4 more months...

7! My wife and I are still trying to decide where we want to live, we live in the eastern Phoenix metro area now and will likely be moving to Glendale mid-Julyish.

I'm sooo ready to be done with the daily grind of my current job, I've been doing it since September when I moved down here, it feels like the daily grind will stretch on forever. Just 4 more months...

Ah the daily grind....I feel the same way. I like enjoying my down time but I cant help but want August to get here so I can start school....my job is just sooo boring.

I currently have nice health care coverage through my job, so I got all of my vaccs about a week ago. Going in for hepB booster in ~25 days. I wanted to get as much done while I was covered.

Anyone know if the flu shot is mandatory? It's listed on the checklist, but it's NOT listed on the "mandatory vaccs" printout. I'd like to avoid it if possible to be honest.

2 couple mansion! good bang for the buck. and lack of privacy ftw! but srsly....

Agreed. Working this 10-7 schedule every single day has taught me that I definitely want a career with shift work and varying hours.

What is everyone doing for health insurance? Are you guys going to go with the plan the school offers or something different?

2 couple mansion! good bang for the buck. and lack of privacy ftw! but srsly....

Right, because my wife would totally be cool with that.:rolleyes:

Ah the daily grind....I feel the same way. I like enjoying my down time but I cant help but want August to get here so I can start school....my job is just sooo boring.

Agreed. Working this 10-7 schedule every single day has taught me that I definitely want a career with shift work and varying hours.

Diddo... so sick of the monotony.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more with the monotony of the 8:00-4:30 grind. I've been doing this for 2 years and I hit the ceiling after 6 months. I miss learning! The thought of spending long hours at odd times in clinics/hospitals for the soul purpose of learning is my version of when Homer Simpson waltzes through his fantasy chocolate village and bites into the lamp-post. Uh, nom!

Yeah thats right. They say to wait and get those titers during orientation week.
I'd actually recommend you check if you can get a decent deal from your current health care provider (assuming you have insurance at the moment). The cost of entire titer screen was about $200 - don't know if that's still the price or not. You may be able to get that done for cheap or free and also get your TB and shots done cheaply too. My health care provider was willing to do all my titers for free before I started at AZCOM and I passed up on it. :smack:

If not, then I'd wait. I know they want you to use your disbursement on the titers and shots, but if there's money to be saved now, I would check.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, sorry about posting an advertisement in this forum. I will offer some sage advice; my time was at a premium in the first few years of medical school and I didn't have any to waste. This is why living close to your school is so important. I will be moving next year and thought that if anyone could benefit from this house, it would be the classes of 2017 and 2018 at AZCOM. There are many students in our area and it's safe, even for little children. PM me and I will give you more details and pictures.

Couldn't agree more with the monotony of the 8:00-4:30 grind. I've been doing this for 2 years and I hit the ceiling after 6 months. I miss learning! The thought of spending long hours at odd times in clinics/hospitals for the soul purpose of learning is my version of when Homer Simpson waltzes through his fantasy chocolate village and bites into the lamp-post. Uh, nom!

It's been about 15 years since I've actually watched the Simpsons, and yet that image came right back to my mind when I read that.

Well guys im pulling my acceptance here. I wish you all the best of luck in your future!

MD class of 2017!!

Well guys im pulling my acceptance here. I wish you all the best of luck in your future!

MD class of 2017!!

Now you can be the new MedPR and belittle everything having to do with osteopathic medicine!
(Not srs)

Congrats on your acceptance man! That's awesome, best of luck!

Hello everyone! Im looking for some roomies for a house a half mile north of campus. The house is on a lake and for $625 it includes everything: all bills, internet, cable, furnished house and a housekeeper. You would be living with another incoming AZCOM student. Let me know if your interested!

Hello everyone! Im looking for some roomies for a house a half mile north of campus. The house is on a lake and for $625 it includes everything: all bills, internet, cable, furnished house and a housekeeper. You would be living with another incoming AZCOM student. Let me know if your interested!

I'm married so I won't be able to take you up on that, but are you referring to the neighborhood right across the Loop 101 freeway just north of campus, the one with the artificial marina with boat launches behind each house? If so, niiiiiice. Maybe someday when I'm an attending I'll live there.