AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread. Game on!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting up the new threads ShyRem.

I just wanted to do a little introduction and perhaps a resource listing for AZCOM. I am going to be a 2nd year at AZCOM for this year and I am more than willing to help those who have any questions about the school.

The last two years' threads have a lot of information that would be a great reference. I have also attached the match lists from last year's thread into this one for download.

AZCOM 2008-2009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=525720

AZCOM 2009-2010
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=645317

I hope this thread to be just as if not more informative. Good luck to the applicants.

EDIT - Information about 3rd Year:
Flushot said:
I just want to clarify this, since our first spin comes Monday for locations and we pretty much know now what will happen.

There is a required CORE ward based IM rotation that will vary depending on your region. There are additional ward based rotations available based on region, and you will be told exactly what they have to offer.

In addition to this, there are ward based rotations in several specialties that are region independent. You will probably have to talk to the head of each department and get that set up. If there are too many people requesting these rotations, they will filter based on GPA, as they did for Peds in Phoenix Children's Hospital. I don't know if they will do this for all of these special rotations but it changes all the time.

There are also hybrid ward based and department based rotations. Department means just that; you won't be under a specific preceptor but merely a student for the entire department. Strangely, we found about this (or at least I did) from a surgery lecture in ICM so there's probably more I don't know.

After the spin for regions this Monday, we will have another spin for tracks. Tracks are the order in which we do our rotations. Like regions, these can be traded (at least for 2013) but if you wish to trade after the track spin, you must trade your region and your track as a package.

2014 will have to choose very soon. I believe it is next month, but they will essentially get all of the info I just typed out now and more, of course. Odds are it could completely change for 2015 and maybe even for 2014 by next year, so don't set any of this in stone.

EDIT - I just wanted to add the regions in case people were curious. The numbers indicate the max number of spots to each location as of today.

West Phoenix - 80
East Phoenix - 80
Tucson - 22
L.A. - 45
Modesto/Turlock, CA - 15
Ohio - 10
Champaign-Urbana, IL - 22

3rd Year clinical sites:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...803890777073793.00048d6d0b79e45800f57&t=h&z=5

Last edited:
Hi everybody!
I just went through the application process with AZCOM this past cycle and am excitedly awaiting orientation and the start of classes in August.
In case anybody is wanting to get a potential jump-start on the supplemental application, the questions on last year's were:

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:
Name
Relationship
Osteopathic College Attended
Year Graduated

2. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

3. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class?

In addition, a resume should be uploaded with your supplemental.

Best of luck to everybody with this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello AZCOMers,

I'm a internal medicine resident in Phoenix and azcom grad. I have a very nice 2bd/2ba condo 1.5 miles from school on a private golf course with lake view, garage, and much more that I'll be renting out for $975/month (and a discount for students signing a 2+ year lease). Price is cheaper than the apartments right across from school (San Lagos, etc) and much more is included than you would find there. See craigslist ad for more details!

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Email with any questions.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/apa/1803534361.html

Mike
[email protected]

I just received a PM asking about a secondary question regarding AZCOM's education and a question about the CV/resume. Here is my response:

For your first question, it's really up to you how you want to answer this question. Personally, I would mention how AZCOM's curriculum is traditional and beneficial for high board scores. I wouldn't mention location or anything like that when answering this question because it is about the education specifically.

For the CV/resume, yes, it is essentially a condensed form of your AACOMAS app. However, it is also your change to play up some research or extracurricular that you may want to be mentioned in an interview. I find that in some cases, the CV is all your interviewers will read, so make it succinct, but accentuate your strengths.

Also, don't put your GPA or MCAT on there unless you want to. The interviewers do not have access to your numbers, so you do not have to provide them.

Does anyone know how to submit the secondary if you have a fee waiver? According to the CIB, it says the fee is waived if you received an AACOMAS waiver, but when I go to submit it only gives you the option of CC or echeck.

This kind of stinks. I was so gung ho to get this submitted asap and have been working on those essays all day. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to call them.

Edited with update: I just called them, and they said I need to send them a copy of my fee waiver. I just had to scan it and email it to them, so it was easy. Just thought I'd let others know.

The lady I spoke with was very nice. We had a miscommunication at first and she told me it would take about 4 weeks for my application to be processed by aacomas and seemed surprised when I said I already had the supplemental email. She said I must have been in the "first batch", which sounds like was pretty small.

Last edited:
This thread's been pretty quiet. How is the process going for everyone?

I submitted my secondary and LORs from Interfolio on June 28, but the LORs still aren't showing up online as being received. So I called and they said they don't have them. I then called Interfolio, and they said they would call AZCOM and work it out. I'm waiting to hear back. Just to be safe I called another school about my Interfolio delivery and they did have them.

Is anyone else having any problems with their letters to AZCOM?

I submitted my secondary and LORs from Interfolio on June 28, but the LORs still aren't showing up online as being received. So I called and they said they don't have them. I then called Interfolio, and they said they would call AZCOM and work it out. I'm waiting to hear back. Just to be safe I called another school about my Interfolio delivery and they did have them.

i'm having the same problem. i applied to both CCOM and AZCOM...CCOM has already downloaded my letters. i think their office is just really slow.

LORs tend to be something I've noticed you kind of have to call AZCOM and prod them about at times. If I'm remembering correctly, I had to call them and talk to somebody in admissions, but they had it taken care of that same day.

is it bad that for the first question, I only had 1000 characters, I just couldn't think of anything else to say,

the second question I had trouble staying under 1500 but revised it several times and was able to get under, i'm just really concerned about the first one being too short, i wasn't worried when I submitted it, but lately, i've been second guessing myself.

is it bad that for the first question, I only had 1000 characters, I just couldn't think of anything else to say,

the second question I had trouble staying under 1500 but revised it several times and was able to get under, i'm just really concerned about the first one being too short, i wasn't worried when I submitted it, but lately, i've been second guessing myself.

If you would have just been rambling for the 500 characters than it is better that it is shorter. The schools don't want really long essays with people going on and on that's why they put the limit. If you were able to give a good answer in 1000 characters then you're fine.

If you can get your point across in 1000 characters, I don't think that's too short for a 1500 character limit essay.

I'm pretty sure that's what this whole process does to all of us :D

Anyone get a secondary invite lately? My AACOMAS got sent on 7/6. CCOM sent me my secondary invite on 7/7, but I haven't heard anything from AZCOM yet. Will the AZCOM secondary also be on online.midwestern.edu?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get a secondary invite lately? My AACOMAS got sent on 7/6. CCOM sent me my secondary invite on 7/7, but I haven't heard anything from AZCOM yet. Will the AZCOM secondary also be on online.midwestern.edu?

Have you checked your spam folder?? I think this one went out shortly after CCOM, but was one of the ones that sometimes showed up in the spam folder.

I don't think it was in the spam folder. I've been checking it pretty religiously. When you log on to online.midwestern.edu, is it located under Supplemental Application like the CCOM one is? Or will there be another place to go to see it?

I don't think it was in the spam folder. I've been checking it pretty religiously. When you log on to online.midwestern.edu, is it located under Supplemental Application like the CCOM one is? Or will there be another place to go to see it?

Last year, I received an email inviting me to create an account for the online portal, and then yes, the supplemental application was listed with the "Supplemental Application" link with "Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine" listed under the program.
However, DON'T always count on receiving emails for anything (secondary, interview, acceptance) before it shows up in the portal, as the portal oftentimes is updated before the email is sent out.

Best of luck to y'all!

I got an email telling me to submit the application. It was on the same log on as the CCOM one. When you get the secondary it will pop up on your log on page and allow you to fill out. The good thing is that it is basically the same as CCOM except why AZCOM.

Have anyone's LORs been added to their app yet? I sent mine in on the 2nd and have called once and couldn't get ahold of anyone. Getting kinda frustrated. I had problems getting my letters attached last year with them also.

Have anyone's LORs been added to their app yet? I sent mine in on the 2nd and have called once and couldn't get ahold of anyone. Getting kinda frustrated. I had problems getting my letters attached last year with them also.

Yeah, AZCOM and CCOM have both received my letters... I'd try calling back definitely.

i'm still having the same problem. i called on tuesday and they said that LORs are downloaded on wednesdays, but i just checked and they still haven't downloaded mine...so they'll be getting another call today :mad:

i'm still having the same problem. i called on tuesday and they said that LORs are downloaded on wednesdays, but i just checked and they still haven't downloaded mine...so they'll be getting another call today :mad:

They said the woman who downloads interfolio letters is on vacation until monday or tuesday so to call back then. I sent my letters on the 1st and then a new one on the 8th, none of which have been entered. Frustrating.

They said the woman who downloads interfolio letters is on vacation until monday or tuesday so to call back then. I sent my letters on the 1st and then a new one on the 8th, none of which have been entered. Frustrating.

Ahhh ok. I wish they had told me that on Tuesday, but I guess I will call again sometime next week. CCOM got my letters two days after I sent them! argh

thanks for calling though :)

Interview invite!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't contact me, I just decided to check my status.

Yay! My very first interview invite.:soexcited:

I got another PM with general questions about AZCOM. Again, I ask that those who are interested check out last year's thread for information.

I'll be succinct about AZCOM: it is very traditional and adamant about numbers. The board review class is only a recent addition but that is not the only thing they do to make sure numbers are high as opposed to just passing.

Years ago, they had a pretest that if a student failed, they would not be allowed to take Step 1. This is no longer the case, but they will intervene those which are in grave danger of failing Step 1. This is in part their desire to have a 100% pass rate but it benefits the student greatly. You do not want to fail any board exam, ever.

So, there is nothing inherently quirky about AZCOM. It is an intense course experience that focuses on getting high Step 1 scores. Some students complain about lack of clinical exposures (only 1 clinical skills practical per quarter), but the goal is Step 1.

Interview invite!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't contact me, I just decided to check my status.

Yay! My very first interview invite.:soexcited:

I got one too! I havent received the email yet though. Waiting to schedule until I get the official email! :)

Just curious, but when were y'all that got interviews complete?

Now I keep checking it every 10 minutes hoping to see I have an interview haha.

Congrats on the interviews!!

Wow, that was a nerve-wracking 30 seconds that it took me to log on and see that I have an invite too!! :)

Complete 6/11

Ugh, I'm so frustrated about my letters, it took over 3 weeks for them to enter them, all the while people were complete. If I knew they were going to take so damn long I would have just mailed them from interfolio rather than send them electronically.

I'm not getting my hopes up with this school, I was on hold for interview for 6 months last cycle.

What day are you guys signing up for? Does anyone want to share a car/room if it would help? This is my first interview ever so I don't know how stuff usually goes down, but I'm willing to split costs if anyone else wants too, as well :thumbup:.

What day are you guys signing up for? Does anyone want to share a car/room if it would help? This is my first interview ever so I don't know how stuff usually goes down, but I'm willing to split costs if anyone else wants too, as well :thumbup:.

I just signed up for the 17th. I won't be booking a hotel room for a while probably since it's still July lol, but I might be down for sharing a room (girl or boy though? lol).

I just signed up for the 17th. I won't be booking a hotel room for a while probably since it's still July lol, but I might be down for sharing a room (girl or boy though? lol).

Are the first dates in September?

Boy, lol. I'm thinking about doing the 17th, too. Are you guys gonna fly in? Cheapest I found was roundtrip on Southwest for $120. Jeez, plane tickets are gonna add up quick :(.

Ha sedaniel, it would be funny if we had all our interview dates together. I think we applied to 6+ of the same schools. I'm down for sharing a room if you want. 26 y/o female

Boy, lol. I'm thinking about doing the 17th, too. Are you guys gonna fly in? Cheapest I found was roundtrip on Southwest for $120. Jeez, plane tickets are gonna add up quick :(.

I'm from MI, so definitely flying in :D I thank God my parents are giving me a hand with all of this or else I would never be able to afford it all on my own since I only work part-time (still in grad school).

Ha sedaniel, it would be funny if we had all our interview dates together. I think we applied to 6+ of the same schools. I'm down for sharing a room if you want. 26 y/o female

Lol nice. Yeah, I'm 24 female so that would be fine with me!

Did you guys get the email yet or are you jumping the gun by clicking the schedule button!? Crazy... :) I was submitted to AZCOM on 6/6, but my letters were received on 7/16...

What's the GPA/MCAT stat for those who receive interview if you don't mind sharing? Thanks.

Did you guys get the email yet or are you jumping the gun by clicking the schedule button!? Crazy... :) I was submitted to AZCOM on 6/6, but my letters were received on 7/16...

I jumped the gun, I suppose that is one of those things that us pre-meds do best. :p From last years thread I guess it is okay if you do that. I just wanted to make sure I had an early date. :)

What's the GPA/MCAT stat for those who receive interview if you don't mind sharing? Thanks.

3.14 cGPA (3.05 uGPA + 3.90 gGPA); 31Q MCAT

Need some advice guys. I can either do the first interview date (Friday, the 17th) and pay $160 in airfare or do the third date (Tuesday, the 21st) and save $30. What would you do? Am I being paranoid by thinking going on the first day is going to be that much more beneficial than going on the third?

Need some advice guys. I can either do the first interview date (Friday, the 17th) and pay $160 in airfare or do the third date (Tuesday, the 21st) and save $30. What would you do? Am I being paranoid by thinking going on the first day is going to be that much more beneficial than going on the third?

For 30 bucks I'd probably just go the first day but thats just me. I'm probably going to drive out there if I manage to get an interview. One of my friends is going to be a 2nd year there.

Here's to hoping their admissions committee met on Friday to discuss who they are inviting and mine wasn't complete yet. :( Depressing.

I just scheduled without an email. I wanted to interview asap. :)

3.59 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 27M (7,10,10)

I just scheduled without an email. I wanted to interview asap. :)

3.59 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 27M (7,10,10)

guess the 17th it is

my stats

3.4 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 30P (9,10,11)

Ugrad cGPA 3.02, Ugrad sGPA 3.0, Grad GPA 3.65
MCAT 27Q (9, 8, 10)

Interview for Sept 17th!!!

Just signed up for Tuesday, Sept. 21st. I feel like the lone wolf out of us SDN'ers since everyone's going on the 17th so far :(.

Just signed up for Tuesday, Sept. 21st. I feel like the lone wolf out of us SDN'ers since everyone's going on the 17th so far :(.

Fridays are generally going to be more popular because they are easier to get time off work and give more travel options. Although a tuesday is going to be cheaper to fly....

Just got my secondary. I feel so behind you guys. Good luck on interviews.