Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by leagall, 02.04.11.

1. IDFsoldierboy

IDFsoldierboy

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    What do u mean placed for clinical rotations I thought u organize ur own rotations

2. sunshine 3

sunshine 3

Pre-Medical
    i was under the impression that we get a region assigned to us sometime before matriculation. maybe it's after we put in a deposit.. now that i think of it more, i'm not so sure as my days have started to all blend together.

3. Optoed

Optoed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Wow awesome!!! This makes 3 Canadian acceptances so far this cycle. Woohoo =)

4. MedMusclez

MedMusclez Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The way I understood it, is that ultimately AZCOM assigns the rotation sites. However, they give you a preference form for your top 3 choices. I also heard that people who are accepted early usually get the area they request. Some of the areas were East and West Valley (Phoenix area), LA, and Ohio. I can't recall, but I think that there were a few others...

5. AustinLAS

AustinLAS Class of 2016

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just got off the phone with admissions because I was curious about the rotation situation. I was told in my interview that we would be able to choose our rotation site, and being the first group of interviewers we should get our top choice. But on the phone with admissions, he thought that we would be assigned with our rotation site on acceptance. He thought we should be receiving a letter in the mail regarding rotations. He told me to wait for that letter and see where I am placed, and if I wanted to change it we could discuss it. He said the person in charge of rotations is out of town right now, but he thinks this is the way it works.

I guess we wait for snail mail...

6. xajtx

xajtx

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the info! I was just about to call myself. Any idea when we should be getting that letter? Really hoping for rotations in L.A.!

7. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Just checked, deposit is due 12/19.

My interviewer also said we should have no problem getting the rotation sites we want since we interviewed early. Hoping for LA as well.

8. xajtx

xajtx

SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's nice to hear, but what's kind of confusing me is that we never got a chance to rank our preferences! lol so I'm assuming they'll just do it totally randomly...

Anyone know where we can get a list of their rotation sites in L.A.?

9. DrWily

DrWily

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Grats you guys. Making me anxious now for my interview on 10/17. Really really REALLY wanna get into AZCOM.

10. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Not sure if this list is complete:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11020392&postcount=6

11. xajtx

xajtx

SDN 2+ Year Member
  12. stefspets

stefspets MS0

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I don't think they choose for us without a preference list. That makes no sense at all. If we do get something in the mail, it's probably a list of the places asking us to pick our top 3 or whatever. Of course I am guessing as well, but they told us specifically we'd have input into this so don't worry about them just assigning. That's not what they did last year.

13. xajtx

xajtx

SDN 2+ Year Member
    That totally makes sense lol for some reason I was thinking that they would already send us our rotation site in the mail

14. AustinLAS

AustinLAS Class of 2016

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, the man I talked to on the phone didn't sound very sure of the process. So, it wouldn't surprise me if we were waiting to rank our top three choices via snail mail.

15. dinos go moo

dinos go moo

Pre-Medical
    So after my portal didn't change for quite a few weeks I called today and was told I was on the wait list for an interview. I have a couple questions:

1. What is my chance of getting an interview?
    2. What can I do to better my chances for an interview?
    3. If the thought is "the ball is in my court" I need to show them I'm truly interested in their school, why would the not notify that you are on hold?

Thanks you guys

16. SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Waitlisted for the second year in a row at azcom.

As awesome as the school itself is, I am done with it. Withdrawing my application.

Last edited: 09.27.11
  17. IDFsoldierboy

IDFsoldierboy

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Have u tried writing them a letter of intent I heard that rly helps!

18. randomusername

randomusername

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes and no. Third year rotations are almost entirely assigned by the school but fourth year is mostly self-organized because there are 20+ weeks of auditions/electives. And by self-organized, I mean you come up with ideas and whatnot yourself but there should actually be a clinical coordinator you work with to help you actually setup and brainstorm.

Nope. The way rotations work are first you're assigned a region, then you select a track (the order in which you do your rotations [FP --> psych --> surg, etc]), then you'll actually choose your preceptors. Where your preceptors have privileges is what gets you into certain hospitals.

1. They're decent if you're proactive.
    2. Keep the school up-to-date with new MCAT scores, new grades, publications, activities, etc.
    3. So that you're not wondering what's going on with your application...

I'm sorry to hear that. I know it sucks, but if you'd still like to go to AZCOM (disregard the insult of being wait-listed again in thinking about this, if possible), you've already spent the money on the application, secondary, and coming here to interview. There's nothing to be gained by throwing away the money and withdrawing if you really want to attend here and it won't hurt to just leave your application active with the school to see if you can get in off of the wait-list. If you want to better your chances of getting in, just send in a LOI and keep the school up-to-date with stuff going on with you in regards to academics and activities.

Or, you can just take your LECOM-B acceptance, spend <1/2 of what you would on tuition, and have your loans paid off well before I will. ;)
    Best of luck with whatever you decide to do though!

19. xajtx

xajtx

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the info, randomusername! Is this the way all medical schools do it in terms of rotations? I was also wondering how much of your rotations are preceptor-based and ward-based and what the pros and cons are for each.

20. dinos go moo

dinos go moo

Pre-Medical

21. MedMusclez

MedMusclez Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Usually (not always) if you are not offered an interview it's reasonable to think its because your stats are not competitive enough. You didn't say what your stats are, so I can only assume this might be the issue. How is your GPA? If it isn't good, perhaps you might consider some post-bac studies, or even retaking some classes that you may not have done as well in as you would have liked.

If it isn't due to stats, then my next guess would be EC's. You are volunteering 2 places a week, so unless you just started doing that, I doubt EC's are the issue.

It doesn't sound like you are willing to do much, or anything for that matter to improve your application in terms of EC's, MCAT scores or research anyway, so unless something gives you might just be at the disposal of the admissions committee.

You can always write a letter of intent, but without some quality updates it might not be as effective.

22. randomusername

randomusername

SDN 5+ Year Member

23. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Has anybody from the 9/19 interview or later heard back yet?

24. dinos go moo

dinos go moo

Pre-Medical
    Thank you so much for the feed back.

If I were to take a class or retake the MCAT would they wait to invite for an interview until my grades/scores were in? I only ask because I can't enroll in classes untill winter/spring and I wouldn't feel confident taking the MCAT for at least a couple of months and by then I'm afraid it would be too late.

25. MedMusclez

MedMusclez Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not sure, but a letter of intent stating that you were currently retaking X class or classes would certainly look good! I think anything that shows them you are making an effort to improve is fantastic. You might also say something about how much you are working, but make sure to say it in a way that doesn't sound like it's hindering or disabling you. (just my 2 cents) Good luck to you! :luck:

26. stefspets

stefspets MS0

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I was accepted and I interviewed 9/19.

27. MedMusclez

MedMusclez Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I interviewed on 9/22 and heard back. I think some others have as well. I'm not certain, but I think several people have called and received their statuses. They said it could take a couple weeks for an answer though, so hang in there!

28. randomusername

randomusername

SDN 5+ Year Member

I honestly can't say if they'd invite you for an interview even if you do those things, but as was suggested, if you do register for classes or another go at the MCAT, it would be beneficial to update the school about that once registered and then again once grades/scores are available. Mostly your aim at this point is to make sure the school knows you're still interested and that you're working on becoming a better applicant.

29. startoverat40

startoverat40 MS2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi stef, from the non-trad forum it looks like you're having pretty good success. Congrats! :)

How much time do they give you to accept or reject the acceptance offer? Are you going to have time before your UofA interviews? How much deposit do you have to put down? Thanks!

30. keepitREAL

keepitREAL

Non-Student
    all things being equal it is about stats, meaning that if MCATs are 28 or above and you are a 24 you will be on hold/waitlist until all scores above you are given a chance so to get selected you need to get a higher score or wait and see how low the competition gets to, same thing with GPA....hence updating Grades and scores are good, information about plans to take courses or retaking MCAT arenot useful as they are not actual improvements so it does not change were you fall in the competition...short letters of intent are a good idea to show interest but again does not move you in the competition...hope this helps

31. stefspets

stefspets MS0

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    The deposit is $1000 and due 12/19. I think that's it as far as accepting/holding the seat, but I could be wrong about that.

32. randomusername

randomusername

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yep, just the one deposit.

33. vt2do

vt2do

Pre-Medical
    Congrats to all of those who got accepted!! I got a letter in the mail today....denied :( Still got one more app pedning at another school though. If that fails as well I will end up having to retake my MCAT because I think that is my problem. My plan of starting in 2012 is looking grim

34. engin33ring

engin33ring

Pre-Medical
    Sorry to hear that. Good Luck on your last school.

35. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Those of you who were accepted and don't mind sharing, what were your stats?

36. xajtx

xajtx

SDN 2+ Year Member
    sGPA: 3.5, MCAT: 30R

37. MedMusclez

MedMusclez Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    cGPA 4.0 , MCAT 31N

I think they gave me an N for Ninja. :laugh:

38. docmedia

docmedia

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For those that were accepted, did you receive anything in the mail or a phone call or email or anything, or was it just the update to the portal?

39. MedMusclez

MedMusclez Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just the portal, but I saw somewhere within the accepted student checklist that something was coming via snail mail.

40. docmedia

docmedia

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OK, cool. Guess I was just waiting for some kind of validation that the change on the portal wasn't just some kind of computer glitch. Congrats to everyone that got accepted! Hope to see you next summer in Glendale, AZ.

41. MedMusclez

MedMusclez Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha a glitch! How bad would that suck?!? Actually, I thought the same thing at first. I kept checking back every couple of hours to make sure it wasn't a mistake. Then they added the additional information, and I knew everything was fine. Congrats on your acceptance!

42. mtmed

mtmed

Pre-Medical
    Withdrawn! Some lucky duck is going to get an October 12th interview! Good luck all!

43. arizona87

arizona87

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    complete as of 9/23/11. Is anyone else in this stage? It looks like most of you have already interviewed or waiting to

44. RC Plane

RC Plane

Pre-Medical
    Have not received a letter, but checked the portal and saw that I was accepted.

sGPA 3.2 and 31P MCAT....also have a graduate degree, 4 publications (two that I 1st authored) and a lot of clinical (4 yrs) and research (7 yrs) experience.

Good luck to all still applying/waiting and congrats to all accepted.:)

45. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Does anyone know who the Dean or Director of Admissions is? I was searching the website and I couldn't find a name, lol.

46. randomusername

randomusername

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Mark Speicher is the dean who's most involved with the admissions process.

47. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So if I'm writing a letter of intent, you think I should address it to him?

48. randomusername

randomusername

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I'd just address it to the Office of Admissions or something generic like that (pretty much the same thing you used for sending LORs if you sent any via snail mail). I'd also definitely snail mail it rather than email it.

49. WaffleDoc

WaffleDoc Newbie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I asked the admissions office if they thought I should send it to the dean of admissions, and they said yeah, so that's what I was planning on doing. But I'll call back again on Monday and ask if I should just send it to the admissions committee instead. Thanks, guys! :)

50. azhockey

azhockey

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Last edited: 01.27.12

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal