AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just submitted my secondary a couple of days ago, and the only interview dates available are two in mid-late January. This seems so far away. If other applicants drop their October or November interview date would I be able to see it and then change it to that sooner date?

Yes - check your portal once in a while to reschedule online

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

I was hoping a current student or graduate could comment on the quality of teaching at AZCOM as well as the quality of clinical rotations. I'm really torn between AZCOM and NSU at the moment and would just like to hear some commentary about the school. Thanks in advance!

Hey All,

I was hoping a current student or graduate could comment on the quality of teaching at AZCOM as well as the quality of clinical rotations. I'm really torn between AZCOM and NSU at the moment and would just like to hear some commentary about the school. Thanks in advance!

Pre-clinical is pretty good for the most part (there's always that one professor or that one minor course that rubs a lot of people the wrong way). The professors are very approachable and most are open to student concerns and suggestions. As for clinical, I'm only in second-year so I'm pretty useless.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I'm writing a letter of intent, you think I should address it to him?

I haven't heard much about these. When do you send one of these in and what do they say? Just that you want to really go there? Do you send them before the interview or after?

send all mail to office of admissions, anything sent to directely Dr Speicher will take more time to reach your file since he will send it back to admissions

I haven't heard much about these. When do you send one of these in and what do they say? Just that you want to really go there? Do you send them before the interview or after?

Typically people send in a LOI either when they've been put on hold for an interview, or more commonly, when they've been wait-listed post-interview. Essentially they do just say you'd really love to attend School X because the professors are half-kitten, the anatomy lab smells like rainbows (don't ask me what light refraction smells like, just go with it), and the fate of Middle Earth and the entire universe rests on your presence at that institution for four years.

I speak in hyperbole of course but yeah, it's all about pleading your case for why you love the school so much and why you want to be there.

Last edited:
Typically people send in a LOI either when they've been put on hold for an interview, or more commonly, when they've been wait-listed post-interview. Essentially they do just say you'd really love to attend School X because the professors are half-kitten, the anatomy lab smells like rainbows (don't ask me what light refraction smells like, just go with it), and the fate of Middle Earth and the entire universe rests on your presence at that institution for four years.

I speak in hyperbole of course but yeah, it's all about pleading your case for why you love the school so much and why you want to be there.

I personally think it's a little more than that (no offense meant!). When I think of a letter of intent, I think of it essentially as a contract stating that upon acceptance, you will without a doubt attend their institution. If you aren't up to that agreement, then a letter of interest is more what you're looking for, which is more along the lines of "here's what I'm doing that's awesome, I love your school because they fed me magic when I attended my interview, please accept me because I will single-handedly make your school perfect."

For accepted students, any idea when the letter packet should come in the mail?

For accepted students, any idea when the letter packet should come in the mail?

It usually takes about a month to work its way to you.

I personally think it's a little more than that (no offense meant!). When I think of a letter of intent, I think of it essentially as a contract stating that upon acceptance, you will without a doubt attend their institution. If you aren't up to that agreement, then a letter of interest is more what you're looking for, which is more along the lines of "here's what I'm doing that's awesome, I love your school because they fed me magic when I attended my interview, please accept me because I will single-handedly make your school perfect."

Haha None taken. Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the info. So if I am scheduled to interview late in the month I shouldn't send a letter of intent even if its my #1 choice? I don't want to jump the gun but at the same time I want them to know I am serious. Thanks,

Thanks for the info. So if I am scheduled to interview late in the month I shouldn't send a letter of intent even if its my #1 choice? I don't want to jump the gun but at the same time I want them to know I am serious. Thanks,

I definitely wouldn't be sending one right now. I'd put more effort into making sure my interview went well and hope a LOI isn't even merited because you get an outright acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
just checked online and looks like I'm accepted since they want me to pay $1000 by mid December. Now I will just wait for the snail mail.

just checked online and looks like I'm accepted since they want me to pay $1000 by mid December. Now I will just wait for the snail mail.

Congrats, can't wait till I get my first acceptance letter.

How long after your interview did they update your profile?

Congrats, can't wait till I get my first acceptance letter.

How long after your interview did they update your profile?

I'm not sure when they updated. I checked today and today is exactly 2 weeks from my interview.

Hey All,

First, congrats to all that have been accepted already!

I can only speak for the quarter that I've been here but the professors have all been great thus far. Sure there are some that I enjoy more than others but all of been approachable and have been helpful in their own way. Based on my talks with my friend who is a 3rd year our basic sciences/pre-clinical are "a machine" that will help you succeed on the boards and learn. She doesn't exactly have to let her board score decide her specialty for her when she applies...

BTW, Random, sorry to hear about your Path test today :laugh: Sounds like it was absolutely brutal. In other news, our Biochem Metabolish average beat your classes :smuggrin:

BTW, Random, sorry to hear about your Path test today :laugh: Sounds like it was absolutely brutal. In other news, our Biochem Metabolish average beat your classes :smuggrin:

Haha Yeah, that path exam sucked. Allegedly it's the worst one we'll have all year in there, but we'll see.

First, congrats to all that have been accepted already!

I can only speak for the quarter that I've been here but the professors have all been great thus far. Sure there are some that I enjoy more than others but all of been approachable and have been helpful in their own way. Based on my talks with my friend who is a 3rd year our basic sciences/pre-clinical are "a machine" that will help you succeed on the boards and learn. She doesn't exactly have to let her board score decide her specialty for her when she applies...

Thanks for the response! I know that AZCOM has an impressive 1st time 98% pass rate on the COMLEX, but does anyone know their average score on the COMLEX and USMLE or where I can find this info?

Thanks for the response! I know that AZCOM has an impressive 1st time 98% pass rate on the COMLEX, but does anyone know their average score on the COMLEX and USMLE or where I can find this info?

"Don't forget we have the highest mean in the country for COMLEX this year (mean: 543) and our USMLE (mean: 211) may be one of the highest if not the highest. Our school is working hard to make our USMLE average 220 like our MD counterparts. Below is my quoted statement that I presented to the COSGP at our last meeting for our board scores."

"AZCOM's Class of 2011's COMLEX scores are in and we are proud to announce that we had a 99.6% pass rate with a mean score of 543. The previous class' mean score was 512 with a 94.4% pass rate. For this class their USMLE mean score was 211 and a pass rate of 89.9%. The previous class' mean score was 205 with a pass rate of 85.7%. "

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8887611&postcount=60

Can I just say...WOW!!

Long time reader, finally have a reason to post! So excited to receive an interview invite today! Was initially scheduled in January but kept checking the portal and snagged one on November 29th. Would be nice if I could move it to a bit earlier in November...given my neurotic email and now MWU portal checking, might be a real possibility.

Good luck to those still applying or interviewing!

For what it's worth, 3.4/28O, complete six days ago.

Ari

"Don't forget we have the highest mean in the country for COMLEX this year (mean: 543) and our USMLE (mean: 211) may be one of the highest if not the highest. Our school is working hard to make our USMLE average 220 like our MD counterparts. Below is my quoted statement that I presented to the COSGP at our last meeting for our board scores."

"AZCOM's Class of 2011's COMLEX scores are in and we are proud to announce that we had a 99.6% pass rate with a mean score of 543. The previous class' mean score was 512 with a 94.4% pass rate. For this class their USMLE mean score was 211 and a pass rate of 89.9%. The previous class' mean score was 205 with a pass rate of 85.7%. "

Can I just say...WOW!!

211 USMLE mean, very impressive. Getting more and more excited about AZCOM as the days go on.

Just got my interview invite today! I applied here late after speaking with a co-worker who is an alumni from here. In his opinion, AZCOM is the best DO school around. Well, I am very excited to attend the interview and see the school.

This is my third interview (1 acceptance thus far), but I have high hopes for AZCOM!

Can I just say...WOW!!

If you're interested in the most up-to-date data we've had thrown at us, for the current MS3s (2013) who just took COMLEX, of the 238 (of 261 students total) scores received by the start of September, the pass rate is 94.1% (national average 93%) with an average score of "about 240." No word on USMLE.

has anyone else got the letter from AZCOM saying how their application will be put on hold for review for an interview later? I submitted my Secondary on 9/22 and just got this in the mail via snail mail.

I guess this isn't as bad as a rejection? Is there still a chance?

thanks,

has anyone else got the letter from AZCOM saying how their application will be put on hold for review for an interview later? I submitted my Secondary on 9/22 and just got this in the mail via snail mail.

I guess this isn't as bad as a rejection? Is there still a chance?

thanks,

It's been talked about a good deal so far in here. Just go to the thread-specific search labeled "search this thread" (underneath the page numbers for this thread at the top of the page) and search "hold." Find some of my posts or one by keepitreal and it should help answer some questions.

Hi everyone! Flying out there this weekend for the 10/11 interview, super excited :p So are we choosing where we do our rotations at the interview? Any info on how this all works would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone! Flying out there this weekend for the 10/11 interview, super excited :p So are we choosing where we do our rotations at the interview? Any info on how this all works would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
No, you don't get to choose your rotations at the interview. If you are accepted, after you put down a deposit and complete the forms required to matriculate, they will probably send out an e-mail detailing choices for rotation sites. In case you're curious, I know because I talked to the admissions office. Good luck on your interview!

I am really nervous about this interview :scared: For one, I really want to go to this school and second I heard they ask you like 20 questions. Can anyone tell me how many questions they asked and what these questions were?

I am really nervous about this interview :scared: For one, I really want to go to this school and second I heard they ask you like 20 questions. Can anyone tell me how many questions they asked and what these questions were?
I honestly wouldn't stress about it. For me, they asked why medicine, why osteopathic medicine specifically, and why AZCOM. Those are questions you should be prepared for for any school. They also pulled specific questions off of my application. I've volunteered in hospice care for a few years now and they asked me what it meant to "listen to patients." They also asked me about my research, where I saw myself in ten years, and what I thought the biggest problem facing primary care physicians was. They watched the clock carefully so that I had five minutes at the end to ask them questions, so definitely have questions ready. Be prepared for questions pulled specifically from your application and review the sdn interview feedback section and you should be fine. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Midwestern that makes it such a top choice for you?

My interview was very conversational. Why medicine, why DO and why Midwestern followed by some specific questions about my application. They asked me one random question that I didn't have a good answer to and I responded by telling them that and they seemed to appreciate the honesty. Probably 10 questions or so in total. I wasn't asked any ethical questions but other people in my group felt like they were asked a number of difficult ethical questions so you might want to be prepared for that. On the whole just go in, be confidant and relate your answers back to personal experiences and you will do great!

I really liked this school and have been accepted! Right now I am just trying to decide if it is even worth going on my other interviews. Best of luck to everybody!

Thank you both for your responses!! The two most important things I look at are curriculum and location. I want to go to school in the phoenix area because it is close to my family and my girlfriend and the traditional curriculum is definitely more appealing to me. And the past board exam scores are reassuring. Btw, I moved my interview date from oct. 7th to oct. 17th. you guys think that has any negative effects on their decision? I did that so I can have more time to prepare because I just got back from LECOM Bradenton earlier this week.

They asked me why medicine, why AZCOM, but not why DO (my husband is a DO so I guess I got a pass on that question). They asked me what I thought the biggest problem in healthcare was. Otherwise, we talked about stuff that was on my application. I really enjoyed this interview because it didn't feel like they were checking off a list of questions. They asked me about specific things from my application and were trying to get to know me.

This was not a stressful interview. It's always nerve-wracking before but I had great interviewers who put me at ease.

Thank you both for your responses!! The two most important things I look at are curriculum and location. I want to go to school in the phoenix area because it is close to my family and my girlfriend and the traditional curriculum is definitely more appealing to me. And the past board exam scores are reassuring. Btw, I moved my interview date from oct. 7th to oct. 17th. you guys think that has any negative effects on their decision? I did that so I can have more time to prepare because I just got back from LECOM Bradenton earlier this week.

Cool, I'll see you there on 10/17 :) I don't think it'll be an issue. It's still way early in the cycle, AZCOM started interviewing on 9/16, so we'll be one month behind the earliest interviewers. They interview like 18 people per day, like 2x a week or so? Class size is roughly 250. They'll have interviewed roughly 140 people before we get a chance, and even if they accepted everyone, there's still 100 spots left for us! ;):thumbup::thumbup:

AZCOM is also a top choice for me for the reasons you listed (as well as rotation sites). :luck::luck::luck:

Just cancelled my interview on Oct. 13th if anyone wants to snag it.

Just cancelled my interview on Oct. 13th if anyone wants to snag it.

Thanks! I snagged it, which is good because I'm down there interviewing at SOMA that day anyways.

yay got the acceptance phone call today :)
average GPA, 34R, Canadian.
Good luck to everyone else still in the running!

yay got the acceptance phone call today :)
average GPA, 34R, Canadian.
Good luck to everyone else still in the running!

You got a phone call? I thought everyone was informed through e-mail/portal? Or were you on the waitlist?

You got a phone call? I thought everyone was informed through e-mail/portal? Or were you on the waitlist?

I just got a confirmation call that I was accepted as well, but my portal changed on 9/26. Yeah!

The school is VERY inconsistent with phone calls, so accepted applicants will only randomly receive phone calls; the portal is the only consistent means of receiving an interview invite or acceptance.

no, I was not on the wait-list. My portal changed on 9/26 but this is the first real contact I've had from the school since the interview.

I received the email that my application is complete and ready to be reviewed. How long will it take for me to hear anything about the interview invitation?

I received the email that my application is complete and ready to be reviewed. How long will it take for me to hear anything about the interview invitation?

About a week or two

I don't think they go to the wait list until June.

I think they go waitlist for a few in December... can't quite remember. Depends on the quality of applicants I'd assume

I just got the list of rotation sites for third and fourth year in the mail. We do list our preferences. Could a current student please explain the differences between West and East Valley? Pros/cons? Thank you!!

I just got the list of rotation sites for third and fourth year in the mail. We do list our preferences. Could a current student please explain the differences between West and East Valley? Pros/cons? Thank you!!

West Valley = more old people
East Valley= more young people

Most of the "good" hospitals people seem to talk about are more-or-less in the middle and whether or not you do part of a rotation in them is dependent on your preceptor and where they have privileges, not your region.

Also, last year's thread has a ton of information regarding rotations and regions and is a good source of info if you have time to kill.

Last edited:
I also got the rotation site preferences form. I still haven't decided on which school I'm attending so haven't put in the deposit or intent to matriculate to AZCOM, but can I return the rotation site preferences sheet anyways?

Also, can anyone comment on the LA rotation sites?

West Valley = more old people
East Valley= more young people

Most of the "good" hospitals people seem to talk about are more-or-less in the middle and whether or not you do part of a rotation in them is dependent on your preceptor and where they have privileges, not your region.

Also, last year's thread has a ton of information regarding rotations and regions and is a good source of info if you have time to kill.

Thank you! I guess I am choosing East Valley because of my interest in peds?!?! If you hear anything else about these rotations, let us know!!

I also got the rotation site preferences form. I still haven't decided on which school I'm attending so haven't put in the deposit or intent to matriculate to AZCOM, but can I return the rotation site preferences sheet anyways?

I am also waiting to hear back from my in-state schools in Texas. I am submitting my rotation list before I submit my deposit in December.

hey guys, i wanted to know if it looks bad to reschedule an interview and push it back 2 days before the interview was initially scheduled. I had an interview on the 7th and pushed it back to 17th on the 5th. Also, does it look it bad at all to push an interview back even if its not 2 days before?