AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a great school. The campus is beautiful too.

I'm still waitlisted from last year. Hoping to get in this year, but I'm re-applying regardless.

I'm in the same boat. I liked the "feel" of the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just submitted my secondary. Hopefully my LORs make it by tomorrow and within a few days I get the email saying my application is complete.

for the "why should we accept you" question, did you just talk about desirable qualities/traits as a physician and how that would help you in med school/beyond?

Members don't see this ad :)
for the "why should we accept you" question, did you just talk about desirable qualities/traits as a physician and how that would help you in med school/beyond?

Keep in mind. The best way to answer this question is asking yourself, "What makes you unique?"

You'll be (most likely) asked the same question in all your potential interviews.

Keep in mind. The best way to answer this question is asking yourself, "What makes you unique?"

You'll be (most likely) asked the same question in all your potential interviews.

I agree with Dyingduck. I saw this question as more of - "what makes you different from the other applicants." I answered this question by summarizing my favorite EC's and how they were going to help my future as a med student and as an eventual physician.

Sometimes it can be hard to answer questions like this one... as I think we're typically raised to be humble. But this is your time to shine! When I interviewed at AZCOM, I was specifically asked "how confident of a person are you on a scale of 1 to 10?" and the "why should we accept you" question. Again, as Dying duck mentioned, this essay question is good practice for the interviews... .

Best of Luck :luck:

Last edited:
I agree with Dyingduck. I saw this question as more of - "what makes you different from the other applicants." I answered this question by summarizing my favorite EC's and how they were going to help my future as a med student and as an eventual physician.

Sometimes it can be hard to answer questions like this one... as I think we're typically raised to be humble. But this is your time to shine! When I interviewed at AZCOM, I was specifically asked "how confident of a person are you on a scale of 1 to 10?" and the "why should we accept you" question. Again, as Dying duck mentioned, this essay question is good practice for the interviews... .

Best of Luck :luck:

Adding on. It is not "what" you answer but "how" you answer is what make it unique.

(For example, don't think of all the unique ways to paraphrase "teamwork," but rather, think of your own unique experience(s) that show your teamwork).

I'm hoping to find out the importance of secondary apps...I'm about to submit my primary and due to character limit I'm just not able to mention all the things I want and I'm hoping that secondary essays will give me a chance to elaborateeeee. Is the primary essay supposed to be the end all and be all, or are the secondary essay responses weighed in about equally? for azcom anyway. Thanks!

For those of you that have been waitlisted, what were your stats at the time of your application? What are you doing to improve your score? I have ~3.5 GPA and havn't taken the MCAT, but am expecting something between the MD and DO averages...
Should I apply here?

For those of you that have been waitlisted, what were your stats at the time of your application? What are you doing to improve your score? I have ~3.5 GPA and havn't taken the MCAT, but am expecting something between the MD and DO averages...
Should I apply here?

If your app is decent and you get a mid-20+ MCAT, it's likely worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow your sGPA is higher than your cGPA, how on earth did you accomplish that lol

I got higher sGPA too, I guess I'm better at bio than "the art of distinguishing 50 types of Jazz in the 1940's" :)

getting excited about this school! 3.68 cGPA 3.71 sGPA and a 28Q. my wife and I would LOVE to live in AZ.

Assuming the rest of your app is good you should have a shot here.

Have you applied to MD schools as well? I think I would with your stats.

Hopefully we get some invites soon!!!! good luck everyone.

my stats are.... 3.18 c/sGPA, 3.85/3.93 c/s PB GPA (79 credits) and 26Q, I have thousands of hours of volunteering, decent LORs, etc... So, I'm not sure where I sit...

Our stats are pretty close and I think we are applying to some of the same places (didn't we discuss secondaries for RVU too?). I am not sure where I sit either. I applied last year but didn't have my MCAT scores until the fall which I have heard is suicide unless your stats are incredible. My undergrad grades were ok but I have taken a lot of PB classes to improve. Hopefully we will hear encouraging news soon!

I finally got the secondary:)

I have a question, does AZCOM put your file on hold and wait for your second retake MCAT if it's in August because my score comes later but my first score is on file already....

I know CCOM told me to wait and submit the secondary AFTER as they reject and DO NOT WAIT for the second score...

Is AZCOM the same?

Thanks and good luck, it's a great school but VERY expensive!

to be safe, i would assume yes. after you are complete at both schools, everything is together on the same information page. they may not, but better to be safe in my opinion.

Might be a dumb question, but I have to be sure. We send letters to the Office of Admissions at 19555 N. 59th Avenue Glendale, AZ 85308 right?

just popping my head in...good luck to everyone applying/interviewing

I haven't heard anything yet, but I have to admit I'm addicted to checking my email about 5 times a day hoping for a notice...

Talk about it. I'm checking my email every hour hoping for an interview invite

not checking my e-mail...........i have been logging on to online.midwestern.edu and checking there at least 10 times a day simply because last years thread had people say it should up there before an e-mail went out.

not checking my e-mail...........i have been logging on to online.midwestern.edu and checking there at least 10 times a day simply because last years thread had people say it should up there before an e-mail went out.

I'm guilty of that too. I didn't want to mention it in my original post over fear of seeming over the top anal retentive. I fear that I'm only going to get worse with each passing day. I find that I conciously try and find things to do (reading, cut the grass, going for a run) to limit my time thinking about checking the status. Typing responses to this thread has been oddly therapeutic, a release of sorts. It's validating to know that I'm not the only one.

Do this first, email second. Whether it's an interview invite or an acceptance, the portal is the only dependable (and the quickest) means of finding these things out.

I never got an e-mail, a letter in the mail or a phone call. Not once. All the action happens on the portal. I randomly decided to check the portal one day and scheduled an interview for two weeks after that. I have no idea how long that had been sitting there as an option. I checked my portal later on during the week after my interview and it looked different, so I decided to call and they told me I got in. This was all last year. A few months ago, I got a "You should apply to Midwestern for your future healthcare career!" email in my inbox. Nice. Still won't believe I got in until I actually go next week lol . . .

I never got an e-mail, a letter in the mail or a phone call. Not once. All the action happens on the portal. I randomly decided to check the portal one day and scheduled an interview for two weeks after that. I have no idea how long that had been sitting there as an option. I checked my portal later on during the week after my interview and it looked different, so I decided to call and they told me I got in. This was all last year. A few months ago, I got a "You should apply to Midwestern for your future healthcare career!" email in my inbox. Nice. Still won't believe I got in until I actually go next week lol . . .

Did it actually say that you were invited, or did the interview option just suddenly open up?

Ha, I like the recruitment email after you already applied and interviewed :confused:

Check interview scheduling. When you get selected for an interview dates will pop up and you can choose one.

Thanks for the info, with any luck those dates will pop up on my account soon.

Hey everyone! Try to be patient about the interview invites. Orientation for the Class of 2015 is less than a week away so the Administration is probably busy preparing for them. Best of luck to all of you:luck:

That's correct. I NEVER got an email invite, but I had the option online to schedule my interview the first day invites went out. Not sure if that was just a fluke or the norm though. Maybe if I hadn't scheduled right away the email would have come.

Hey everyone! Try to be patient about the interview invites. Orientation for the Class of 2015 is less than a week away so the Administration is probably busy preparing for them. Best of luck to all of you:luck:

They definitely don't seem to be working on getting this year's match data out by July, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

Interview invite!!! No email, remember to check your portals, guys!

Awesome, I finally get to join the interview invite club too! First one :D

when were the files complete for all of you and what were ur guys' stats?

Good thing I check these forums out or else I never would've known about my interview invite haha. Chose Sept. 16!!