AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they tell you that the admissions committee wasn't going to meet until April 16th? I'm just wondering because they told me that they would be meeting on April 16th to decide our fate (I interviewed April 5th) and so my portal doesn't say anything, so anyways, I'm just wondering what you guys were told.

Thanks

They told us April 16th also. I bet DrMeows is right...staged review. It stinks, but sit tight...things will work out.

Members don't see this ad.

San Lagos for me. The view of the lakes was too much to pass up.
That's a pretty place man, I was just a sucker for the simplicity of campus housing, and I don't have any money, so I couldn't put a deposit down till my disbursement comes through.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend and I both interviewed on April 2nd and haven't seen anything on the portal for either of us. We contacted admissions to ask our fate :)scared:) after seeing that people were accepted from last week. They said the committee isn't meeting until next week and we should expect to hear something by next Friday.

So....moral of the story is.....no idea why some people have been accepted and others have yet to even be looked at. You're probably in the "not looked at yet pile" with us so breathe easy. It's gonna be a long rest of the week. Hope that helps! Good luck :luck:
I called the admissions office on Monday and they also told me that I would not be able to find out if I got accepted or not until after April 16th. I don't know how to explain the recent events.

Did everyone get their housing agreements from Jose? I got my first pick choice:

Apt K, Studio 613 sq ft with dishwasher and washer and dryer ^_______^

You'll be in my building. :thumbup:

Hey guys does anyone know if it's too late to apply for housing? I only ask because I'm still waiting on a decision from another school. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Hey guys does anyone know if it's too late to apply for housing? I only ask because I'm still waiting on a decision from another school. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are still going to be some units available, they just might not be your top-choices. All you can really do is talk to Jose.

Anybody else in building E for on-campus housing?

Anyone in building F? Any comments on what that building is like?

Why is living on campus so popular. Across the street are San Lagos/Prado which are luxury apartments for similar prices to on campus housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most utilities are built into the housing contract, so you are only responsible for Electricity (Water, Trash, Cable, Internet, etc all included in the cost). Only thing is no pets. Why WOULDN'T you want to live on-campus?

Most utilities are built into the housing contract, so you are only responsible for Electricity (Water, Trash, Cable, Internet, etc all included in the cost). Only thing is no pets. Why WOULDN'T you want to live on-campus?

Exactly what I was going to say. When you have to add on another $100+ per month for utilities, etc, on-campus is just a better option.

That is an awesome view. I think the only thing campus has in comparison is the legendary meticulously-kept lawn I've heard so much about... (still not the same though). I'll have to come visit you guys in Lagos.

Lol I just called the admissions committee and they said that they won't be meeting on ANYONE that interviewed in April til the week after next, on the 16th of April :) Which means that those of you that got in must have just looked really good :) Darn that engineering degree for pulling my GPA

Lol I just called the admissions committee and they said that they won't be meeting on ANYONE that interviewed in April til the week after next, on the 16th of April :) Which means that those of you that got in must have just looked really good :) Darn that engineering degree for pulling my GPA
Engineering is tough.

I interviewed on April 2nd as well, and I am not seeing anything changing on my portal yet. Hopefully the timing of the other acceptances was a fluke, otherwise fingers crossed extra tight for CCOM!

I have a newfound respect for engineers this year. With a brother and several friends who have done it...that is tough stuff man. You'll be a great doctor for tenacity to complete difficult tasks. Keeping your engineering GPA in range to apply is a substantial accomplishment in my opinion.

Have an interview tomorrow morning. To anyone who is awaiting thier interview, Drury hotel has been awesome thus far. Free breakfast and dinner with about a 10 minute drive to the campus.

Does anyone have pics of the on campus housing?

Specific units or outdoors? The floorplans are all posted online somewhere so you can get a basic idea of what the apartments look like, the insides vary slightly depending on the building. How it looks is just a matter of how you arrange things. Outdoors is pretty nice, if you want to see what that looks like I can probably snap a couple of pictures and post tomorrow

Why is living on campus so popular. Across the street are San Lagos/Prado which are luxury apartments for similar prices to on campus housing.

Lagos/Prado don't have cheap studios and because it literally takes me 5 minutes to walk to class in the morning. If I forget something for class I can go to my apartment and back during break and only be a minute or so late. Can't say either for Prado/Lagos.

Plus, the apartments are "comparable" prices, albeit a bit more but then add another 70+ for TV/internet minimum and you are getting quite a bit more expensive. All we pay on campus is electric. Only downside is the internet is pretty slow and it's too risky to use torrents to download anything.

Lagos/Prado don't have cheap studios and because it literally takes me 5 minutes to walk to class in the morning. If I forget something for class I can go to my apartment and back during break and only be a minute or so late. Can't say either for Prado/Lagos.

Plus, the apartments are "comparable" prices, albeit a bit more but then add another 70+ for TV/internet minimum and you are getting quite a bit more expensive. All we pay on campus is electric. Only downside is the internet is pretty slow and it's too risky to use torrents to download anything.

Why is that? I use them frequently. I am in building H btw.

I found no issues with the internet while living on campus. It wasn't as fast as independent internet but it definitely fast enough. If have active downloads, watching Hulu and attempt to play a ping heavy video game, of course you will see significant slow down but that is to be expected.

If anyone could post pics of the inside of the apartments for on-campus housing it would be much much appreciated :)

Specific units or outdoors? The floorplans are all posted online somewhere so you can get a basic idea of what the apartments look like, the insides vary slightly depending on the building. How it looks is just a matter of how you arrange things. Outdoors is pretty nice, if you want to see what that looks like I can probably snap a couple of pictures and post tomorrow

My wife is interested in some inside shots. We took a look at outside while we were there for interviews and saw the floorplans online. We like the floorplans quite a bit, but she is wondering if they are nice inside...(she's having nightmares of the cinder-block walled freshmen dorms of yesterday). If you are willing to shoot a couple of inside and DM or email me, that would be great. If not, no worries...I know your home is a private place :)

I'm looking forward to getting started in a few months!

Why is that? I use them frequently. I am in building H btw.

Depends what you are using them for. If I get caught downloading a movie I'd rather not have that letter/e-mail go to the dean's office before getting to me. For the record, I've done it for years at home but gotten caught twice. There is some harsh language about disciplinary action they could take if you get caught downloading things you aren't supposed to in the internet contracts.

I've used them on occasion for lesser things or stuff that I know wouldn't be monitored but movies to me are off limits. Peer Guardian, etc. can only do so much. You still get caught eventually. I stick to sites like rapidshare, etc. to get movies these days where there is much less risk since you aren't uploading anything

My wife is interested in some inside shots. We took a look at outside while we were there for interviews and saw the floorplans online. We like the floorplans quite a bit, but she is wondering if they are nice inside...(she's having nightmares of the cinder-block walled freshmen dorms of yesterday). If you are willing to shoot a couple of inside and DM or email me, that would be great. If not, no worries...I know your home is a private place :)

I'm looking forward to getting started in a few months!

I could snap a couple of photos but I'm in a studio so my room will be quite a bit more jumbled than what you'll see if you are in a 1BR. The apartments aren't bad inside, white walls, blue carpet. Faux wood floors in the kitchen and bathroom. I'll try to snap a couple of pictures tomorrow and send them over to you

I could snap a couple of photos but I'm in a studio so my room will be quite a bit more jumbled than what you'll see if you are in a 1BR. The apartments aren't bad inside, white walls, blue carpet. Faux wood floors in the kitchen and bathroom. I'll try to snap a couple of pictures tomorrow and send them over to you

Thanks. That would be great. Anything would be a start in her mind...then she can feel out the "style" of the builder. I'll DM you my email.

I move back on campus next week and I can snap a few pics before I unpack my stuff. I will also be in a studio but the style is essentially that for the new buildings (J, K and L).

RE: Internet Downloading, would using newsgroups instead of torrenting work better?

For those of you still on the fence for AZCOM, one of the schools greatest selling points is board preparation (USMLE and COMLEX) and by extension, attaining competitive specialty residencies. If you havent checked out AZCOMs match list, I urge you do to so (its posted two pages ago I believe). There were 15 ACGME gas matches which is ridiculous, 5 ortho, and a few ACGME rad matches, one of which was into Cleveland Clinic which is insane.

Anyways, thats what sold me about AZCOM. Cant wait to meet all of you and start school in 3 months. :D

Last edited:
RE: Internet Downloading, would using newsgroups instead of torrenting work better?

Anything that has you uploading and can get you caught is a risk IMO Its rare that you get caught if you are smart about it (I've been caught twice in about 8/9 years?). I stick to rapidshare/180upload/etc. on campus though since they are straight downloads. They are slow but its worth not stressing. 2shared actually downloads faster than torrents if I can find my files on there, I get 1.5-2mb/s from there.

How bad is the internet connection for streaming netflix? The match list was pretty sick its what swayed me.

I move back on campus next week and I can snap a few pics before I unpack my stuff. I will also be in a studio but the style is essentially that for the new buildings (J, K and L).
Thanks a lot, Flushot! That would be awesome :)

Anything that has you uploading and can get you caught is a risk IMO Its rare that you get caught if you are smart about it (I've been caught twice in about 8/9 years?). I stick to rapidshare/180upload/etc. on campus though since they are straight downloads. They are slow but its worth not stressing. 2shared actually downloads faster than torrents if I can find my files on there, I get 1.5-2mb/s from there.

I've never been caught torrenting and it sounds like newsgroups may be the way to go. There's no uploading with that as it is straight downloading multiple bits of files and recompiling later. Hope the speeds aren't terrible on campus as I like to download a lot ;)

Did the class of 2012 with the recent match list have the same class size that we do? Very impressive match list indeed.

Did the class of 2012 with the recent match list have the same class size that we do? Very impressive match list indeed.

I believe 2012 was ~200 students.

For those questioning the on-campus internet speed, it's exponentially better now than it was at the start of the school year because the school upgraded the connection. It still has its slow moments but I've been able to stream movies fairly easily as of late.

Can someone tell me about the quality of the rotations in Phoenix during your third year. How different is West Valley compared to East Valley? Are the rotations close enough to campus so that you dont have to move?

Can someone tell me about the quality of the rotations in Phoenix during your third year. How different is West Valley compared to East Valley? Are the rotations close enough to campus so that you dont have to move?

I really don't know what I'm talking about, but, I can't imagine them being that different (correct me if I'm wrong though). Most of the hospitals in the valley are Banner. Both of the docs I shadowed were preceptors for Midwestern students (one east valley, one west). I picked west valley for the opportunity for PCH and St. Joe's. So, that doesn't really help at all, but as far as moving goes. You will not have to move if you have rotations in either part of the valley. Our freeway systems are really easy to navigate, even if you're doing a rotation in Gilbert or A.J. (As far east valley as it gets) it's only 30 minutes away. From my understanding, the only time you'll "move" is for a rural rotation, and I was told there was housing.

I believe 2012 was ~200 students.

For those questioning the on-campus internet speed, it's exponentially better now than it was at the start of the school year because the school upgraded the connection. It still has its slow moments but I've been able to stream movies fairly easily as of late.

http://www.midwestern.edu/About_MWU/Colleges/Arizona_College_of_Osteopathic_Medicine.html

"AZCOM achieved full accreditation status following the graduation of this first class. In 2008, AZCOM increased its class size to 250 to help address the need for more physicians in the state of Arizona."

This is the 2012 class right? Class of 2016 I think is also 250 so that should comparable (I think).

Good luck to everyone who interviewed in April. Hopefully we'll all have good news tonight/tomorrow!

Good luck to everyone who interviewed in April. Hopefully we'll all have good news tonight/tomorrow!

Good luck to you too! I'm so nervous!! :scared: I checked the portal when I woke up at 6am and realized it was actually 4am in Arizona....and people just aren't awake yet, let alone doing work lol. I need to relax :rolleyes:

Portal has been updated with the accepted student checklist. ACCEPTED!