Azcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avivace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could any current students comment on AZCOM rotations? I've heard that quality can vary, but is that primarily between locations or within the same region? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a first year here so all that I know about the rotations is what I hear from third and fourth years, and SDN history. It is really in a state of flux right now and it certainly varies from region to region. It seems like things are slowly but surely getting ironed out though. Part of the problem stems from when they expanded their class size back in 2009 (I think?). They didn't really increase resources enough for the clinical years in order to meet the increased class size. This year they just hired two new clinical coordinators though which should help iron out a lot of the problems. I've heard that the coordinators had been really overloaded and that was one reason some of the rotations and schedules were not up to par.

Overall, the students I have talked to (a couple of which I know well), are quite happy with their clinical experience. There are some gripes and issues, but find me the school that doesn't have those and good luck. As usual, the SDN picture isn't really the most accurate take on things...it seems to me that there were either some very vocally dissatisfied students on here for a couple of years or more likely, there were some real issues that have been at least partially resolved. I've heard that if you are the type that just wants to sit back and have everything done for you (a reasonable desire considering the cost of tuition here), then things might not be the best for you. But if you put forth some initiative and take things into your own hands a bit, AZCOM won't stand in your way and you can craft a quality rotation schedule. I think this may be changing a bit though with new coordinators, one of the third years told me he wasn't allowed that rumored autonomy.

This is all just second and third hand information so take from it what you will. It doesn't seem like AZCOM third and fourth years are active on SDN, but if so, maybe one of them will chime in and throw out some better info. At any rate, I think this is a great school so far and I am happy to have chosen it. The studentbody, culture, and faculty are excellent, and I don't say that lightly.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a first year here so all that I know about the rotations is what I hear from third and fourth years, and SDN history. It is really in a state of flux right now and it certainly varies from region to region. It seems like things are slowly but surely getting ironed out though. Part of the problem stems from when they expanded their class size back in 2009 (I think?). They didn't really increase resources enough for the clinical years in order to meet the increased class size. This year they just hired two new clinical coordinators though which should help iron out a lot of the problems. I've heard that the coordinators had been really overloaded and that was one reason some of the rotations and schedules were not up to par.

Overall, the students I have talked to (a couple of which I know well), are quite happy with their clinical experience. There are some gripes and issues, but find me the school that doesn't have those and good luck. As usual, the SDN picture isn't really the most accurate take on things...it seems to me that there were either some very vocally dissatisfied students on here for a couple of years or more likely, there were some real issues that have been at least partially resolved. I've heard that if you are the type that just wants to sit back and have everything done for you (a reasonable desire considering the cost of tuition here), then things might not be the best for you. But if you put forth some initiative and take things into your own hands a bit, AZCOM won't stand in your way and you can craft a quality rotation schedule. I think this may be changing a bit though with new coordinators, one of the third years told me he wasn't allowed that rumored autonomy.

This is all just second and third hand information so take from it what you will. It doesn't seem like AZCOM third and fourth years are active on SDN, but if so, maybe one of them will chime in and throw out some better info. At any rate, I think this is a great school so far and I am happy to have chosen it. The studentbody, culture, and faculty are excellent, and I don't say that lightly.

Lucky devil. You didn't have to deal with the true terror of last years anatomy department.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I'd read some concerning posts from a few years ago, and it's good to have an idea what was likely going on and know that they now have more staff and are working to resolve issues.

Last edited:
Lucky devil. You didn't have to deal with the true terror of last years anatomy department.

Yeah I keep hearing that from the second years, it seems like it was just last year that had problems. Switching out the department head must have worked because this year it has been great, good instruction and reasonable pacing.

Yeah I keep hearing that from the second years, it seems like it was just last year that had problems. Switching out the department head must have worked because this year it has been great, good instruction and reasonable pacing.
The gentleman that is course lead now is fantastic. The previous course lead had no idea how to be an effective leader and made the practicals a disaster.

The previous course lead had no idea how to be an effective leader and made the practicals a disaster.
MMoT9l