B in G Chem...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brandon C.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my first mid-term of G Chem 1. Right now my grade is 88 (B). I feel like I understand the concepts pretty well, but obviously some stuff not as much. I know G Chem builds on itself so things I start struggling with now will effect the next concepts and so on. I'm trying my best to bump it into the "A" category and focus on what I'm struggling in but just wondering.. If I do end up with a B in G Chem 1, how much is that going to hurt my chance at dental school?

I'm going back to school. Originally got a B.A. in Broadcasting with minor in Religion. At the time I was anti-science/-pre-professional so did OK in the two sciences I had to take for it (B's). Now wanting to get into dental school and taking what I didn't take originally that I need for applying. My graduating GPA was 3.65. I know that dental applications look at overall GPA but then separate science GPA. I want to do the best I can (an A) but if I do end up getting a B... should I think of something other than dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

B in Gchem? Life's over as we know it. Look into becoming a Janitor lol.

You have ab 88. Relax. I got a B in my Gchem in undergrad (because I slacked off lol), A's in Chem is easy. Keep doing what you are doing and them some.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never understand why someone posts a question like this...please use some common sense. Do you seriously believe that everyone in Dental School has an A in chemistry? I would say reconsider the dentistry field not because of your B but because you cannot answer that question yourself. Sorry if I sound harsh but I just think any adult should realize this.

Reactions: 8 users
I've got quite a few B's, many in prereqs at a community college (including both gen chems). I have 3 interviews right now - you're fine.

I got a C in Orgo II as well as B's in G. Chem, and so far have one interview. One isn't a lot but it's certainly better than none, and all you need is one acceptance. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Start looking into a masters program. A post doctoral in chemistry may be needed depending on the circumstances. You have a long road ahead of you. Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users