B in Organic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruins2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a B in Organic going to be devastating? I screwed up on the first test of the semester and even though have made good grades for the rest of the semester there is no way for me to have an A. :( What are your opinions? I had B's in General Chem I and II...at least I'm consistent.

Members don't see this ad.

No, a B in organic is not going to be devastating. Your cGPA and sGPA matter much more than anything else and they won't nitpick individual grades if everything else is solid. However, obviously if you're making more B's than A's in general across all of your science classes, those GPAs might start to look a little questionable.

Just make sure you start getting A's; the GPA is what matters.

You're fine.

Get A's in Physics and Biology.

Problem Solved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a B in Organic going to be devastating? I screwed up on the first test of the semester and even though have made good grades for the rest of the semester there is no way for me to have an A. :( What are your opinions? I had B's in General Chem I and II...at least I'm consistent.

I had Bs (3 Bs and a B+) in every one of my chemistry (gen chem and ochem) courses. Also had B- in physics I. Do well in your other courses and don't sweat it.

Are you trolling or something...? Some people will donate a kidney to have a B in organic... Do you understand how difficult organic chemistry is? Post when you have legitimate concerns... Do not post troll like that or otherwise people wont take you seriously... Relax ...a B in organic is not bad.

I got a C- in organic 1 and 2....and still got in ;)

I got Cs in Physics I and II my senior year so that year's GPA was a two point something. I still got in, so I guess they realize that it's really not that big of an indicator of how you'll do in school.

Whatever. You can't be perfect in everything. That's not even a bad grade. Take it. Move on. Do your best in everything else.

A B in organic is like an A+++ in any other class.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine as long as your overall sGPA is decent.

B and C in orgo I and II and still got in! Premed advisor told me that having good grades in biochem can help compensate for poor orgo performance.

THANK GOODNESS! People on SDN who think organic is difficult!

All the other threads on here are with people going, "What? Organic is the easiest pre-req, and I got A++'s!"

I am a former all-A-student struggling to pull my grade from a C- to a B-. A B in organic is nothing to fret over, especially if you are going to get an A in organic II and kick the MCAT's butt, so I've been told. Plus it's ok if you just get A's in all your other classes.

Thanks so much for your responses! This makes me feel so much better. I got A's in Physics I and II, so that definitely helped boost my science GPA. :) Thanks again!

So far I have
Gen Chem-C
Gen Chen2- C
General Bio-C
I'm going to take Gen chem 2 over again.
I'm in O-chem now and I'm going to come out with a B. Has anyone still gotten in eventhough they did mediocre on there pre-reqs?

So far I have
Gen Chem-C
Gen Chen2- C
General Bio-C
I'm in O-chem now and I'm going to come out with a B. Has anyone still gotten in eventhough they did mediocre on there pre-reqs?

I mean... that's not mediocre, that's simply below average for med school matriculants. If those are your only BCPM (Bio, Chem, Physics, Math) classes you have, your BCPM GPA is 2.25, which is not competitive. You're really going to have to step it up in O chem 2, Physics, and any upper division science classes you take from here on out to pull that up. It can certainly be done, but you're going to have to change something about how you approach your science classes to pull yourself up.

not at all!

if you are not satisfied with any of these answers given then take biochem and rock out in it! med schools will like that even more

o yea I still have to take my physics and biology, Idk whats going on me. I'm taking 18hours this semester and It's juat been alot to handle next semester i'm going to take it easy for sure on the number of hours I take.

ok...due to more grades...i now have the possibility of having a C in organic. :( is this still ok, especially if I get an A next semester?
thanks for the help!

ok...due to more grades...i now have the possibility of having a C in organic. :( is this still ok, especially if I get an A next semester?
thanks for the help!

Just do your best to finish strong. Have you taken the final? I have had classes that I though I was doomed to have a C in become A's the last week or so.

Until you know of a final grade you can't start to think of your next course of action.

No. And if you get another B in ochem II, it still won't matter. See my signature for more detail.

i had made a C in a gen. ed class (political science), so if I do end up with a C it will be my 2nd on the transcript....but my only one in a science class.

i had made a C in a gen. ed class (political science), so if I do end up with a C it will be my 2nd on the transcript....but my only one in a science class.

2 C's never killed anyone either. Seriously, nobody cares about your individual grades, ever, if your overall GPA and sGPA and MCAT are all solid.

thanks for the help!

ha take it from me, if you might get a C in ochem I then the chances of pulling an A in the second semester are slim to none.. I barely pulled a B in the first one and then barely pulled a C in the second one...only C i've ever gotten

So far I have
Gen Chem-C
Gen Chen2- C
General Bio-C

that will be very, very difficult to work with when applying because those grades mean you sGPA is pretty low..you would have to get A's in all your upper level science classes to fix that