"B" on EM rotation-am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoopthereitis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

so applying to EM for residency and as all of you fellow EM applicants know, the SLOE means a lot. So I had my first rotation at my home institution last month and found out that I got a B on the NBME Shelf which in turn gives me a B in the rotation. sighhh, I really tried very hard to study-I just can't master these damn NBME shelves.

Anywho, I was wondering how this will impact me in the near future with my application. Am I screwed or is a B still okay if you have amazing evaluations?

a little background. US applicant. average medical school. gotten all Bs throughout medical school. got 227 on step 1.

...sigh, lol writing those stats gives me the feels. just tired :/

Members don't see this ad.

You're not screwed. Just keep working your hardest at your aways. Not all places use the NBME test. What's written in the SLOE itself is very important, so if the letter is good, it will be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't a B on the nbme actually in the >90th percentile? I don't know many people who even got Bs on their scaled nbme scores. Unless your school scores them differently.

If not if be surprised if anyone can honor that rotation is they need a >90 scaled score on the nbme.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about the grade. What is important is where the program ranks you amongst your peers, all of which is laid out on the SLOE. If a program's SLOE breakdown ranks 90% of people Top 10% (I know, some people really just don't understand how percentages work) and 10% top 1/3 and noone in the middle or low 1/3 brackets, then a top 1/3 is a bad score. But if a place has a true bell curve, a top 1/3 score truly means you are in the top 33% of rotators. Its all relative to the breakdown of the grading of each individual institution. So I wouldn't worry.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

so applying to EM for residency and as all of you fellow EM applicants know, the SLOE means a lot. So I had my first rotation at my home institution last month and found out that I got a B on the NBME Shelf which in turn gives me a B in the rotation. sighhh, I really tried very hard to study-I just can't master these damn NBME shelves.

Anywho, I was wondering how this will impact me in the near future with my application. Am I screwed or is a B still okay if you have amazing evaluations?

a little background. US applicant. average medical school. gotten all Bs throughout medical school. got 227 on step 1.

...sigh, lol writing those stats gives me the feels. just tired :/
A "B" in one rotation, even your chosen specialty, doesn't mean as much as you think. We all know clinical contain a lot of subjectivity. In the end, you'll be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
OP: talk to the PD at your home program (or EM advisor if they have assigned you one) and go over your stats, CV, etc. and discuss what programs you should apply to. Agree with others who have said this isn't the end of the world, but it will be important to apply to a number and broad variety of programs, and they are the ones who can best help you with that. Good luck!