b&w? base book for step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok this is likely a stupid question, but what is b&w? people keep referring to it as an excellent book to use for step 2.

also, is there a sound book to use as a foundation for step 2, like first aid was for step 1? for step 1, I went through first aid and filled in tons of details and diagrams for all the topics covered, from other books/sources. is step 2 good for the same?

and what's up with there not being a surgery section in first aid 2?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

well answered the first part ... boards & wards ... how about the rest?

Ive heard FA for Step II and Crush Step 2 mentioned as the most useful for a foundation for Step II. They are written very differently. FA is the classic list style while Crush is more paragraph style.

Check out this thread for info on what books people used.

Personally, I just can't stare at bulleted lists all day and retain any of it... so I tend not to like things like Boards and Wards, although I see the value in quickly going through it to make sure it all seems familiar. My main strategy for step 2, which I need to take soon, will be: Secrets of step 2 (content is very similar to Crush step 2 but in question and answer format, which I prefer), questions from QBook (NOT Qbank), and USMLEWorld questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
trouta said:
Ive heard FA for Step II and Crush Step 2 mentioned as the most useful for a foundation for Step II. They are written very differently. FA is the classic list style while Crush is more paragraph style.

FA for Step II is awfull. Crush is great. My opinion.

robotsonic said:
Check out this thread for info on what books people used.

Personally, I just can't stare at bulleted lists all day and retain any of it... so I tend not to like things like Boards and Wards, although I see the value in quickly going through it to make sure it all seems familiar. My main strategy for step 2, which I need to take soon, will be: Secrets of step 2 (content is very similar to Crush step 2 but in question and answer format, which I prefer), questions from QBook (NOT Qbank), and USMLEWorld questions.

I used both FA for Step II and Crush Step 2 as references. I felt that between these Crush Step 2 was best as it was a quick read that was very high-yield. I like to think that Step 2 is not like Step 1 in that there was a lot more black and white with the latter. Step 2 has a lot more gray area were you will be reading questions and think of multiple possible correct answers. This is where your clinical judgement should kick in to get you the rest of the way. Ex: what test would be the highest yield, least invasive, and most cost-effective. Above all else, I would recommend a good question bank (I used USMLE World) to prepare for Step 2. This I felt was crucial. I took my Step 2 ~ 1 week ago and felt that it was very similar to USMLE World both in question length and content. I know there are several who will disagree with this assessment, but I left the test feeling much better than I did after Step 1 (which I thought I failed...) even though I got a 230. We shall see in a few weeks what my Step 2 score will be...I am shooting for at least my Step 1 score +/- 5 points. :)

Good luck to those who have yet to take the test. It is grueling, long, and utterly boring, but you will get through it. The key is to stay focused, take breaks when needed, and do not panic.