BA/BS-MD Programs Available to Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canmedhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I've read the FAQ thread on BS and BA/MD combined programs, but I have sort of a unique situation. I am a Canadian citizen, I live in Canada, and I'm interesting in applying to one of these programs. I'm currently the equivalent of a high school sophomore, and I have a 3.83 GPA. I speak fluent English (obviously) and functional French. ECs will include, at time of application: 1.5 years as an Army Reservist, 300 non-medical volunteer hours, 100 medical volunteer hours, 2 varsity sports, 3 club sports.

Which programs am I eligible for, and which would I be competitive at, assuming my GPA stays pretty much the same? I am particularly interested in UCSD, Howard, U of Alabama, Miami, Brown, Northwestern, Penn State, and Baylor. I am not interested in combined DO programs, considering my ultimate goal would be to match with CaRMS, not NRMP, and I don't believe DO programs are valid in Canada. People who have done these programs: what did you think of it? Did you find the USMLE Step 1 more difficult because you didn't have the experience of studying for a huge exam (MCAT)? Do you regret it? Do you appreciate that you did it?

Members don't see this ad.