BA/BS to MSN/APRN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a route from BA/BS to MSN/APRN that does not involve BSN/RN?

Members don't see this ad.

there are a # of "direct entrty np programs" for folks with a prior ba/bs in anything that take 3 yrs. you get the bsn after the first yr and then the msn/np after the 3rd yr

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Yeah, but weren't you in med school?

I am. A psychologist friend of mine who is interested in prescribing told me that he could directly go to MSN/APRN school because he has a BS in Psychology. I thought that BSN/RN was a prerequisite. Could you elaborate on your "yeah?"

Are you still applying to medical school?

"I thought that BSN/RN was a prerequisite. Could you elaborate on your "yeah?""

did you not see my post?
any bs/ba degree + 3 yrs = msn/np through direct entry np programs

emedpa said:
"I thought that BSN/RN was a prerequisite. Could you elaborate on your "yeah?""

did you not see my post?
any bs/ba degree + 3 yrs = msn/np through direct entry np programs

Sorry. I did not see your post until after I had posted. My bad! Thank you for answering.

Follow-up question: Can NPs practice independently? I'm referring specifically to psychiatric NPs prescribing psychotropics. If so, which states allow this? Thank you!

PublicHealth said:
Sorry. I did not see your post until after I had posted. My bad! Thank you for answering.

Follow-up question: Can NPs practice independently? I'm referring specifically to psychiatric NPs prescribing psychotropics. If so, which states allow this? Thank you!
depends on the state. I don't know which states would allow that. maybe someone else will......

PublicHealth said:

Yes, some states allow complete independence. The ones I know of are Iowa, Arizona, Alaska, and maybe Oregon, Washington, North Dakota. Most other states allow practice based on a collaborative practice agreement. That can mean anything from a doc watching your every move or a piece of paper saying what that particular state needs it to say and you paying a doc for their license use, basically.

PublicHealth said:
Is there a route from BA/BS to MSN/APRN that does not involve BSN/RN?

Yes, I just graduated from Vanderbilt NP school and the majority of the students were NOT RNs (I was a BSN with 10 years of experience). Go to their website and look at the requirements. It is a very popular program, but I believe they have already filled their spots for the next 2 years. You may be able to get on a waiting list though.

PublicHealth said:

NP's can practice completely independent of physician oversite in New Mexico. Also, New Mexico is the only state that allows psychologists to prescribe drugs (they have to take a pharmacology course).