BA vs. BS Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched around for this question quite a bit but couldn't really find what I was looking for as most people were concerned with how the BA vs. BS plays out getting into Med, Vet or Pharm school. What I would like to know is that if med school fell through I would most definitely be going to some kind of grad school (my plan is either a Master's/PhD in Organic Chemistry or Pharmacology).

If that was my plan would getting a BA in Chemistry matter to employers as long as I got a MS afterwards? I'm thinking of doing the BA so I can graduate in four years and to improve my GPA. The difference is really marginal though (BS requires Calc III, Adv. Inorganic + Lab, 6cr. Chem Electives and Calc Based Physics) whereas BA requires none of that (except Physics but you can opt to take trig-based instead)

Members don't see this ad.

Might get better answers from your departmental advisor

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of getting into med school, whichever gets you the higher GPA is the one to choose.

In terms of getting into grad school, a BS is probably better because there's more chemistry involved (you'll be better prepared).

Members don't see this ad :)
My school only offered BA, but look to see what the student aspiring toward graduate school in Chemistry takes if you want to keep graduate school in mind.

For example, at my school, pre-med chemistry majors took the easy version of Physical chemistry because they knew they wouldn't be using it at all after college, while the students after graduate school took the more rigorous version because it had a lot more content and taught material better and in a deeper capacity than the other course.

TL;DR - BA vs BS won't be an issue when it comes to graduate schools. Coursework above all.

I'm currently a Chemistry graduate student with a concentration in Chemical Biology and I graduated with a BS in Health Science, so having a BA or BS in Chem won't really matter for getting into grad school. What really matters is your research experience and maybe even some teaching experience. The same goes for employers. You just have to have a lot of experience in the lab as proof that you are capable of doing the work they need you to do.

Half the grad students in my lab have a BA in Chem or Physics instead of a BS for what it's worth. GRE + Research + LOR. Demonstrating you have lab skills and critical thinking is more important.

The difference between a BA and a BS is arbitrary and varies wildly from school to school. For instance at my undergrad for a BA you had to take foreign language classes while for BS you took humanities. Some schools require a thesis for a BS. As far as med school admission, the letters on the diploma don't matter. The actual difference in what is required for BA vs BS will vary from school to school

Do the BA if you like chemistry it will cut down on the extremely hard upper level chem classes you will have to take.

If med school is what you want to do go all in on it and don't worry about what will help you get into a phd program.

I always wondered this too...I went with B.S. chem because I figured that I might as well challenge myself. With expensive tuition at my school, I felt as though the more difficult classes would be a better use of money...I can teach myself bio and stuff like that. Undergrad has been difficult, but don't regret the decision. I think BA would be fine though because it seems to me that med schools dont look at apps too closely, they just look at your gpa, mcat, race, clinical, shadowing and volunteering experience and decide if you meet their algorithm.

The difference between a BA and a BS is arbitrary and varies wildly from school to school. For instance at my undergrad for a BA you had to take foreign language classes while for BS you took humanities. Some schools require a thesis for a BS. As far as med school admission, the letters on the diploma don't matter. The actual difference in what is required for BA vs BS will vary from school to school
Some schools don't even differentiate...some LACs, for example, offer only BAs, no matter what your major or which courses you take. I know when I graduated, I was disappointed to have gotten a BA...and my mother, who went to a school with both, was convinced that it would be seen as a negative to those who weren't familiar with my school's policy.

For what it's worth, I am getting a BA in my science major for two reasons: 1) It's easier to double major in the lib arts this way, which I am doing, and 2) I can take all of the science classes I want and avoid some of the labs that the BS requires us to do. I'm taking some upper division physics classes for fun but I don't have to worry about the lab components which I find to be an utter waste of my time. Your experience will vary but that was why I chose BA.

0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 difference except for the old hiring f*cks out there who smirk at BAs and think about their slacker, hippie liberal arts friends back in the day. You can't prevent idiots from hiring people, though, so I wouldn't mind it