Babies and Medical School

futureMD1221

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some opinions from current medical students or physicians.
I am a pre-med student on my last year of undergrad. My question is, is it do-able to have children in medical school? What would be the best option, have children before medical school, during, or after? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions from current medical students or physicians.
I am a pre-med student on my last year of undergrad. My question is, is it do-able to have children in medical school? What would be the best option, have children before medical school, during, or after? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, it is do-able. Residency is also a good time to have kids -- before you start your own practice or join a group.

Check out mommd.com, there's a forum on there, bunch of people with babies in med school post there

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife delivered while I was on my OB rotation near the end of my 3rd yeAr... We werent planning on having children yet, but the timing was actually pretty great cuz you have a decent amount of free time 4th year.... The difficult part has been the finances as my wife can no longer work (daycare is expensive) and of course expenses go up with a little one...Definitely doable at least from a new father's perspective---obviously would be more complicated as a mother in med school. Would be alot easier if we had family around, but certainly doable either way

Not an answer, just a continuation of the OP's question for those who had (or their SO had) children while in medical school or residency. How accommodating were the schools / programs with maternity leave? Open to experiences from both mothers and fathers.

My wife had twins in MS-3...her school was incredibly understanding and gave her all the time she needed.

Reactions: 1 users

It is doable but not easy, I have a lot of friends who are married with children in medical school, the biggest issue seems to be money, its hard for a family to survive when you are on financial aid.

My wife had kids during residency (research year then chief year). It was and is goddam hard. She says having kids in MS3 or MS4 would have been easier, but still hard. Take that with a grain of salt. The grass is always greener, and being pregnant during residency interviews could really screw you.

But to answer your question: it ought to be doable. I can't see how it would be harder than residency.

Thanks for the insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had 1 that was 10 months old when med school started. My wife had baby number two middle of 2nd semester of med school. It is very do-able. There is no such thing as a "convenient" time to have kids, but I'm told the ultimate inconvenient times are during interview season for residency and during intern year. So I'm told to avoid those times more than any other.