Bachelor in Pharmacy or Bachelor in Pharmaceutical science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QinZint

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bachelor in pharmacy or bachelor in pharmaceutical science, which one is better?
What the speciality of bachelor in pharmacy?
if I choose bachelor in pharmaceutical science, what career I will have?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in the US? Then no such thing as bachelor's in pharmacy anymore, at least not in order to become a pharmacist.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you want to do. If pharmacy; go for a PharmD (w/o BS degree). However, if you are looking for a good general baseline knowledge with some exposure to the healthcare field before pursuing an advance degree, consider either BS degrees (some programs have started the BS. Pharm degree again but it will not allow you to pratice pharmacy - EVER vs. PharmD)

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you want to do. If pharmacy; go for a PharmD (w/o BS degree). However, if you are looking for a good general baseline knowledge with some exposure to the healthcare field before pursuing an advance degree, consider either BS degrees (some programs have started the BS. Pharm degree again but it will not allow you to pratice pharmacy - EVER vs. PharmD)

Is this some sort of sleazy for profit school trick where they get you for a 4 year BSPharm, THEN a 4 year PharmD?

I got a 4 year BS pharm then continue to pharmD. They basically did it so if you wanted to change to MD, DDS, etc you would have a BS degree to back you up.
Where was this? I guess I thought the BS wasn't offered anymore.

Even better yet, WHEN was this? When I got my B.S.Pharm. in 1994, about 10 of my classmates immediately pursued advanced degrees, usually a Pharm.D., and most of them regretted it because at least at the time, the title rarely conferred any additional prestige or pay.

On top of it, the U.S. hasn't had a 4-year B.S.Pharm. since 1960.

Reactions: 1 user