Bachelor's Degree: PT related vs unrelated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pthopes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were to go for a bachelor's degree in say Kinesiology vs a degree in business administration, would the chances of getting into a PT school be better for either or do they not really care? Reason i'm asking is because I've been interested in both, but am sure I want to be a PT, and people have said PT schools don't require a related major, so i just wanted to make sure. So would PT school be harder if you took an unrelated major and would it be harder to get accepted? any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

The major doesn't matter so just get the degree you're interested in. A kinesiology background will help in PT school when going through the basics. You can always minor in either also. I recommended a business minor if that interests you.

Oh, alright, i never thought of getting a minor in business, thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in whatever you want to learn but just take the pt prerequisites required.

Don't get a kinesiology or exercise science major. They're worthless apart from PT. If you decide to obtain one of those two majors, then decide you don't want to go to PT school, then you're stuck. If you like science, then major in biology or pre-med. That way you can apply for more than just PT school. Don't major in the liberal arts either, because it'll be hard to get all the science pre-requisites. Business would be a good minor.

Kevin

My undergrad degree is in Criminal Justice completely unrelated... I still got in :)

As everyone has stated, your major doesnt matter. Just make sure you take all your pre-reqs and get good grades in them!

Ok the answer seems clear to me now, thanks for the help everyone. I'm probably going to do a business major and possibly minor in kinesiology as I still want to learn about it.

I'd have to agree with what's been said, major shouldn't matter as everyone has to take the same prerequisites anyway. However, I'm currently a kinesiology major and I feel like that gives me a stronger background on anatomy, exercise and physiology than I would have had I, for example, stuck with my (original) business major. On the negative side, if it wasn't for physical therapy I highly doubt I'd be able to pursue any other profession with said kinesiology degree, so it does take a fair amount of commitment.

Yea true haha, I think I'm sure I want to become a pt tho, and if I ever have doubts I'll just do a minor in a related subject, thanks for the advice