General Admissions & OTCAS Bachelor's GPA of 3.39, am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ntb911

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first post...I am 41 and trying to get into OT.

Already have a BS so went back to school last year for the prereqs I didn't have (namely A&P 1 &2 (A's) and Abnormal Psych (B) ).

As stated in the headline, my Bachelors GPA is 3.39, which I figured was fine until I was rejected by TWU and told in order to reapply I would need to take a full time semester consisting of any classes of my choice and get straight A's...with no guarantee of acceptance.

Not a $ gamble I was willing to take. The TWU website states a minimum of 3.0 to apply so I figured I would be fine...how wrong I was.

Also, have not taken GRE and would like to avoid it if possible.

Is it realistic for me to continue to apply (to different schools) with this 3.39 or is it an ultimately futile pursuit given the avalanche of applications these schools are receiving?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can, but are you willing to leave Texas? You might need to look into less competitive schools. I think you might have a shot at AIC in Springfield, Mass, for example.

You can, but are you willing to leave Texas? You might need to look into less competitive schools. I think you might have a shot at AIC in Springfield, Mass, for example.

Actually I'm in IL...Texas was where I wanted to go but really can go anywhere so long as it's lower on the tuition scale.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, first post...I am 41 and trying to get into OT.

Already have a BS so went back to school last year for the prereqs I didn't have (namely A&P 1 &2 (A's) and Abnormal Psych (B) ).

As stated in the headline, my Bachelors GPA is 3.39, which I figured was fine until I was rejected by TWU and told in order to reapply I would need to take a full time semester consisting of any classes of my choice and get straight A's...with no guarantee of acceptance.

Not a $ gamble I was willing to take. The TWU website states a minimum of 3.0 to apply so I figured I would be fine...how wrong I was.

Also, have not taken GRE and would like to avoid it if possible.

Is it realistic for me to continue to apply (to different schools) with this 3.39 or is it an ultimately futile pursuit given the avalanche of applications these schools are receiving?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
It's possible... your GPA actually isn't that bad... BUT more doors would probably open if you took that horrible GRE especially if you do well. I had a pretty good GPA, but I didn't get into any schools until I also had good GRE scores.

No, I don't think your screwed at all. My Bachelors GPA was a 3.39 as well. I was accepted to Husson University in Maine. The tuition is relatively cheaper and its a little less competitive than other programs.

Hello everyone!
I'm a recent graduated my undergraduate in a Counseling Psychology. However, I screwed up in my minor courses which brought my accumulative grade to a 3.2. I'm trying to apply to Kean University and Stockton University since I'm a NJ resident. Both schools require human anatomy 1&2 but I'm taking those course fall and spring semester. Am I too late and did I screwed up?

Also, I'm always hearing bad things about Kean University, and how it almost lost its accreditation. Is the program bad?

I got into school with a bachelor's gpa of 3.06, but after graduating I retook 3 classes that I got B-'s in and took more prereq classes to raise my last 60 semester units gap to 3.48. I got an early acceptance letter which supposedly I was one of their top candidates. So it is definitely possible. I would look into schools that only take your last 60 semester units gpa and schools that put more emphasis on your personal statement.

i think the main takeaway here is that despite minimum requirements, admission to OT school has gotten really competitive so you are not only trying to meet the minimum requirements but far exceed them so you will stand out and be chosen. that being said, you are definitely not screwed with that GPA (i got in a with a 3.1!) - you just have to be more strategic with your applications.

i agree with others that i don't think you need to spend money and another semester taking classes. i would focus on taking the GRE and getting as good of a score as you can (opens up the amount of schools you can apply to), fine-tuning your personal statement/interview skills, and getting more and varied volunteer and observation experiences. then be open and flexible about where you apply and where you are willing to go. you will get in somewhere :)