Bachelors in Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEM04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently starting my Bachelors at CCNY , Just wanted to get peoples opinion on how hard , difficult , stressing or challenging is it ? How did you guys feel while getting your bachelors in psychology ? Any favorite class or least liked class?

Members don't see this ad.

I felt my psychology curriculum was not challenging enough. The only real challenging courses I had were outside of psych (e.g Geographic Information Systems, a couple Criminology & Law courses, and even Music Theory). Having said that, the things I liked about it were: 1) The research opportunities and learning to work with data. I like writing and analyzing materials, whether literature or spreadsheets. 2) The amount of time it allowed me to be involved in campus organizations. An study-intensive major such as Biochemistry would not have afforded me that free time. If I had to do it over, I probably would not have chosen psychology as a major. I would have picked something with more hard skills like accounting or computer programming. But that's just me. Best wishes with your program.

I felt my psychology curriculum was not challenging enough. The only real challenging courses I had were outside of psych (e.g Geographic Information Systems, a couple Criminology & Law courses, and even Music Theory). Having said that, the things I liked about it were: 1) The research opportunities and learning to work with data. I like writing and analyzing materials, whether literature or spreadsheets. 2) The amount of time it allowed me to be involved in campus organizations. An study-intensive major such as Biochemistry would not have afforded me that free time. If I had to do it over, I probably would not have chosen psychology as a major. I would have picked something with more hard skills like accounting or computer programming. But that's just me. Best wishes with your program.

So you felt like Psychology was too easy for you ?

Members don't see this ad :)
In short, yes. But there is only so much you can do to teach and test psychological concepts and research methods. It is what it is. I have no qualms with the way the material is presented. I just wish undergrad psychology programs equip students with more hard skills.

I actually agree with Blizzard1mage.

I'm a senior, but I only have 1 required psych course left (History and systems). My psych classes are/were very easy. I'd say the only half challenging psych classes I've taken were stats and biopsych (the only psych class I didn't get an A in). I want to say however, that most of my classmates thought the classes were harder (especially biopsych which I believe the average was a D) and had to actually work for their A's whereas for me I'd usually just read over the powerpoint slides once or twice and get an A on the exam, so I might be a bit above the norm. 'Course my minor is also in biology and I'm getting a B.S. so studying for all those really challenging courses my have jaded my view a bit. :) This does, however, afford me a lot of time to do research and be involved with my Psi Chi chapter. I do wish my uni had more psych stats and research design classes for me to take as I feel they would better prepare me for grad school.

So far I think my favorite classes were:
1) Abnormal psych
2) Eating Behaviors and Disorders
3) Social psych
4) Biopsych
5) Research Design (I'm a research junkie, m'kay?)

I don't think I really had any psych classes I disliked.

I don't want to discourage you from a degree in psych, though, so please don't take it that way. I was originally a bio major and switching to psych was probably one of the best decisions I've made. I loved psych and have loved all of my classes. Just don't expect for it to be especially rigorous.