Back pain...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever time a semester starts, the upper middle portion of my back starts to kill. I think it's from just that little bending over while sitting on a desk and writing or studying. I worry that this will not only continue to persist through undergrad but also into dental school, ESPECIALLY once you start working on patients.

Anyone else experience this sort of pain? Anyways to prevent it and make sure I don't have back pain in the future especially if I'm working as a dentist and bent over working on patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Ever time a semester starts, the upper middle portion of my back starts to kill. I think it's from just that little bending over while sitting on a desk and writing or studying. I worry that this will not only continue to persist through undergrad but also into dental school, ESPECIALLY once you start working on patients.

Anyone else experience this sort of pain? Anyways to prevent it and make sure I don't have back pain in the future especially if I'm working as a dentist and bent over working on patients?

I think its common, do you exercise regularly? That may help.

I used to have a chronic backpain, hurting more when I cough. I started doing back stretch and workout and the pain is gone. Have you tried those?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its common, do you exercise regularly? That may help.
I play a ton of basketball but don't really weight lift. Maybe I could start doing some lower/middle back exercises and some lat works... would that help?

I used to have a chronic backpain, hurting more when I cough. I started doing back stretch and workout and the pain is gone. Have you tried those?
Any examples of what you do or a link to things I should try?

I play a ton of basketball but don't really weight lift. Maybe I could start doing some lower/middle back exercises and some lat works... would that help?

I played a bunch of basketball as well and I had some back pain here and there, nothing major but once you start doing concentrated exercises and workouts targeting the back muscles you will really start to see the difference. I dont think you have to do anything major but as laughingGas said stretching your back may be the key to getting rid of your back pain.

If you go to youtube you can try searching for back exercises, or back pain exercises. You will find a ton of stuff and you can probably find certain exercises aimed at the certain area on your back that is having the issues.

Core exercises, deadlifts, and rows.. Gotta work on that deadlift form personally.
Have good posture when sitting. I see a lot of people with forward head posture. You can tell who works at a desk all day.

I have had similar problems, and got really worried about it as well, I went to Physical Therapy, and learned that my muscles were weakening in my back, probably because I got quite a bit lazy after I graduated undergrad, and working in research requires lots of computer work and bench top work, so my posture suffered as well. I have gotten much better, just doing more back building workouts at the gym, just as others have mentioned as well in the thread. I REALLY suggest going to a doctor though, if you have any back pain before it gets worse, so they can make you a tailored treatment plan.

Check your posture and work out your core. All the dentists I have shadowed have stressed the importance of correct posture. With a little exercise and improve posture I'm sure your pain will dissipate.

Do Yoga from youtube. They are short 10-15minutes and they are really good for your back and any other area you might have problem with. Give it a shot, it's only 10minutes of your time.

Is there a certain link or certain video you guys would recommend that I could try for my back pain. Anything from exercises or stretches would be great, it's just I don't know where to start. There are so many different things online I don't know which one is the best for me.

Work on your back and core muscles. Start with pull ups, planks and supermans.